This could be fun...

abolfaz

There are a few places that offer tuning and/or displacement increases to bring 300-350 hp to these cars without going the turbo route or complete engine swap.

Can't imagine they are that expensive.

• 2 weeks later...

I love the looks of the 308, mostly because of Magnum PI. Its the performance that kills it for me and this car. Whenever I drove one, I expected the same level of grunt as a 928. What you get is barely a 944. Its a very disappointing V8 experience. The original 70's version only has 240hp, in 1980 that dropped to 205hp, in 1983 to the final they raised power to 230hp. Its doubtful you could get a normally aspirated engine to 300hp.

My Dad actually rented one in 1985 in Hawaii, did it more for me because of my being a Magnum fan. The car totally turned him off Ferrari's. Said his 928 was a much better car. I fully agreed with him, when I was old enough to try one. Saving grace they do handle well.

You lose the Ferrari sound as well. Probably is much more fun to drive though.

There's a guy who makes Carbon Fiber 288 GTO body kits for 3X8's in the US. They actually look really legit. I've seen some people who went as far as turbocharging them after it was all said and done. Pretty neat!

They do sound good. Would be a shame to lose that. But too me the only reason Id buy one would be for looks. In away I'm like my Dad and they really turned me off Ferrari. Even the current models are not all that special.

I doubt even a turbo kit would do much hp wise. You'd have to change the cams, etc. Its only a 3.8 liter engine, don't think a better cam would do it.

Ferrari did offer turbo versions of the 308 and 328, but they had smaller V8's, it was a 2l for primarily the Italian market. But the 308 version was called the 208. They had under 200hp.

They do sound good. Would be a shame to lose that. But too me the only reason Id buy one would be for looks. In away I'm like my Dad and they really turned me off Ferrari. Even the current models are not all that special.

I doubt even a turbo kit would do much hp wise. You'd have to change the cams, etc. Its only a 3.8 liter engine, don't think a better cam would do it.

Ferrari did offer turbo versions of the 308 and 328, but they had smaller V8's, it was a 2l for primarily the Italian market. But the 308 version was called the 208. They had under 200hp.

You can get 500hp out of turbo 3.8 motor with no issues and very reliable. My M1 has a turbo motor, 3.5 straight 6, pulling 540hp and 410lbs of torque, nothing wild. In race tune, close to 900hp.

You can get 500hp out of turbo 3.8 motor with no issues and very reliable. My M1 has a turbo motor, 3.5 straight 6, pulling 540hp and 410lbs of torque, nothing wild. In race tune, close to 900hp.

Yes, you can get high hp out of a 3.8l. The difference is the M1 is basically a detuned race motor, designed to be higher hp. The Ferrari motor isn't and you can't unlock higher hp because it isn't there in that motor. If the 308 had more hp, Ferrari would have done it to compete with the 928.

Yes, you can get high hp out of a 3.8l. The difference is the M1 is basically a detuned race motor, designed to be higher hp. The Ferrari motor isn't and you can't unlock higher hp because it isn't there in that motor. If the 308 had more hp, Ferrari would have done it to compete with the 928.

Actually, the M1's motor is not a very good race motor at all. In the procar, with a kugelfisher mechanical fuel injection, 12.5/1 compression, it puts out 470hp and 270lbs of torque. The problem is the crank and the harmonic balancer . Since it is a straight 6, the crank is quite long and breaks at the neck is you rev the motor above 7000rpm consistently. BMW was never able to supply me with a good balancer and even with modifying the crank, I have lost many motors to this issue.

I don't have a lot of experience with Ferrari motors directly but I do have a friends with a 308 gt4 who tracked his car regularly and had done some on the motor and if I am not wrong, he got 320hp out of it normally aspirated which is not bad given that it starts out as a 190hp motor

It might not be a good race motor, but it was designed as a race motor from the start. I only know a little about the M1, friends Dad had one in the 80's. Its possible but very difficult to get high hp out of a stock non race motor.

Koenig, the 308 motor is not 3.8 liters, it is 3.0....the 8 stands for cylinder count.

Go here:

http://www.carobu.com/V8%20Dyno%20Testing.html

The motor can be properly elevated to decent power levels.

A lot of times the tune is no good as is. Upgrading for more power may not be necessary in all cases.

If you happen onto a POS 2 valve injected car that's your fault. A good carb car or QV is usually sufficient.

Then you'll need to focus on tires, and maybe shocks/springs as well.

BTW, Ferrari "unlocking" or not unlocking HP in the early to mid '70s had more to do with the oil embargo ruining performance cars across the board than anything else.

The 928 comparison is silly. You're comparing a 4.5 liter V8 to a 3.0 liter V8.

What may disappoint you is that the 928 was supposed to be the face of Magnum PI but Porsche said no, and Ferrari surprisingly said yes.

I actually still like the 308, and yes I knew they wanted to use a 928 on Magnum. The show knew they would be doing lots of car driving scenes and wanted a bigger sunroof. Porsche wouldn't do a larger sunroof, almost making the 928 a targa. So they changed cars to Ferrari. Porsche just said no to design changes.

The 928 comparison is not really apple to oranges, yes smaller engine. Ferrari has always competed with Porsche in some way or another. Even the original 78 928 16v motor made more power then the Ferrari and was faster 0to60 and quarter mile. If Ferrari could they would have added more power and improved the performance they never did. They failed even more miserably with the quattrovalvole. The Ferrari 80's performance is more comparable to the Datsun/Nissan 280ZX or the Toyota Supra then the Porsche 928.

I think comparatively corresponding years of 928 and 308, youll find them pretty evenly matched until you get into the S4 models.

. Its possible but very difficult to get high hp out of a stock non race motor.

That is a generalized statement that can be proven wrong very easily but it is not worth a long winded argument. If that is your belief and you seem to feel strongly about it ,so go with it.

I think comparatively corresponding years of 928 and 308, youll find them pretty evenly matched until you get into the S4 models.

The only time it was an even match was the late 70's. 1980 to 83 the North American market 308 lost a lot of hp, down to 205. Once the 928S, especially in Euro trim the 928 had almost 50 more HP. In Euro trim Porsche claimed 305 hp for the 928S, when magazine put on the dyno most made 3330hp. I know from personnel experience a 308 any year can't keep up with a 928 of any year. Even more so when its an S, even in North American spec! The 308 compares better with the 944, a 4cyl. that's sad for a V8, even a small one.

Ferrari's rep is all race cars on the track. The street cars always fail to deliver in the real world.

The only time it was an even match was the late 70's. 1980 to 83 the North American market 308 lost a lot of hp, down to 205. Once the 928S, especially in Euro trim the 928 had almost 50 more HP. In Euro trim Porsche claimed 305 hp for the 928S, when magazine put on the dyno most made 3330hp. I know from personnel experience a 308 any year can't keep up with a 928 of any year. Even more so when its an S, even in North American spec! The 308 compares better with the 944, a 4cyl. that's sad for a V8, even a small one.

Ferrari's rep is all race cars on the track. The street cars always fail to deliver in the real world.

Motor Trend tested the 83 308 Qv vs 83 928 and the 308 was quicker, while the 928 had a higher top speed. A 308 will demolish a regular 944. Dont kid yourself.

Motor Trend tested the 83 308 Qv vs 83 928 and the 308 was quicker, while the 928 had a higher top speed. A 308 will demolish a regular 944. Dont kid yourself.

It was by a fraction of a second. 928 0to60 was 6.9 308 was 6.7, not a whole lot quicker and then the 928S came out. 6.7 seconds was the fastest recorded for a 308, the 928S did it in 5.8 seconds. A 77 308 did it in 8.1 seconds, 6.8 to 7 seconds is typical, which more inline with a 944 over a 928.

It was by a fraction of a second. 928 0to60 was 6.9 308 was 6.7, not a whole lot quicker and then the 928S came out. 6.7 seconds was the fastest recorded for a 308, the 928S did it in 5.8 seconds. A 77 308 did it in 8.1 seconds, 6.8 to 7 seconds is typical, which more inline with a 944 over a 928.

This was a 928S they tested. Any corresponding year 308 series to a 944 will kill the 944 unless it is a turbo.

• 2 months later...