Does anyone here own a Sailboat?

Hollywood

Sure, but 05LSV had asked why not a powerboat, so I was just pointing out that maybe the OP was only looking at sail because of fuel costs for a powerboat.

I think what emanon is saying is that the running costs of both types are high enough that having to buy fuel is a negligible cost in the scheme of buying.

Powerboats have never really been of much interest to me. Something about being out on the water, dependent of the wind sounds just delightful. However, in saying that, I have never really "considered" a powerboat. Perhaps something I should look into. I am sure the wife would be happier.

Powerboats have never really been of much interest to me. Something about being out on the water, dependent of the wind sounds just delightful. However, in saying that, I have never really "considered" a powerboat. Perhaps something I should look into. I am sure the wife would be happier.

Now the fun part. What kind of powerboat would you consider? So many variables, its like saying Id consider a V8 over a 6.

We can go this: http://www.nordhavn.com/brokerage/listings/sally_g/ slow but can go 3,000 miles. So you could easily go down to Mexico from LA. Heck you could go LA to the Caribbean. Plus no hotels, sleep and eat on the boat, etc all the comforts of home.

or more fun

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifieds/20...i-s-o60226.html you lose having basically a house on water for speed glorious speed. Lousy range about 400 miles

We can find similar of each style to fit almost every budget.

I think what emanon is saying is that the running costs of both types are high enough that having to buy fuel is a negligible cost in the scheme of buying.

I see; my reasoning was based off of a thread on a boating forum I was reading some time ago, where someone was asking about sailboat versus powerboat, and a lot of the guys were saying how power boats are great, but they are more costly due to the fuel required to be blasting around, whereas the sailboat is cheaper due to no fuel. In terms of running cost, I suppose it depends on the size of the boat. For many people, a sailboat is something like this:

Beetle-Cat-under-sail-close-up.jpg

For many people, a sailboat is something like this:

Beetle-Cat-under-sail-close-up.jpg

Wait, that's not the kind of sailboat he's looking for?

Wait, that's not the kind of sailboat he's looking for?

In Wheel's World there is no difference between the SS tadpole being piloted around a golf course pond by a portly 12yr old, and a 40' boat capable of multi-day ocean voyages.

:eusa_think:

In Wheel's World there is no difference between the SS tadpole being piloted around a golf course pond by a portly 12yr old, and a 40' boat capable of multi-day ocean voyages.

:eusa_think:

Damnit you engineers and your logic.

Raj is 100% right, learn to sail before buying a sailboat. Also, make sure there's dockage available before you buy anything. With that said, I just got Sir Peter Blake's ex raceboat Ceramco NZ. Problem is that it draws 13' and has a 120' mast which severely limits where it can go and at the very minimum it needs a crew of 6 to sail it...

Looks like an Oyster?