1st time buyer, aventador lp700-4 roadster

GPM1984

Hey Everyone!

I have finally reached the point in my life where I'm ready to buy my first Lamborghini (2015 aventador LP700-4 roadster). I've been planning this since 3-4th grade so naturally there's a lot of excitement, but I'm trying to stay level-headed here and approach this huge purchase as well informed as possible. Any advice, knowledge, encouragement, or warnings you guys can give me is greatly appreciated! Mostly these are my concerns/questions:

1. TRUE cost of ownership (talking strictly maintenance here) I'll likely put 1500-2000 miles on it annually. Any issues or major service milestones I should be aware of?

2. Insurance. It's been nearly impossible to find any consistent information on this. I've never insured an exotic car before so I'm completely in the dark here. I've seen everything between $2k and $30k annually!

3. Value retention. (I know this can very a ton) in a perfect world id like to say that in 2-3 years I will sell it and buy a new model. Ballpark on how much value it'll retain as a percentage based on the annual miles listed above??

4. Wife. Approximately how many additional shopping trips should I expect my wife to "deserve" after I spend $450k on a car? (Just kidding) (but seriously....)

Thanks guys! I'll anxiously await whatever details you can share. In the meantime I'll start framing my old Countach and Diablo posters to hang in the garage!

Hey Everyone!

I have finally reached the point in my life where I'm ready to buy my first Lamborghini (2015 aventador LP700-4 roadster). I've been planning this since 3-4th grade so naturally there's a lot of excitement, but I'm trying to stay level-headed here and approach this huge purchase as well informed as possible. Any advice, knowledge, encouragement, or warnings you guys can give me is greatly appreciated! Mostly these are my concerns/questions:

1. TRUE cost of ownership (talking strictly maintenance here) I'll likely put 1500-2000 miles on it annually. Any issues or major service milestones I should be aware of?

2. Insurance. It's been nearly impossible to find any consistent information on this. I've never insured an exotic car before so I'm completely in the dark here. I've seen everything between $2k and $30k annually!

3. Value retention. (I know this can very a ton) in a perfect world id like to say that in 2-3 years I will sell it and buy a new model. Ballpark on how much value it'll retain as a percentage based on the annual miles listed above??

4. Wife. Approximately how many additional shopping trips should I expect my wife to "deserve" after I spend $450k on a car? (Just kidding) (but seriously....)

Thanks guys! I'll anxiously await whatever details you can share. In the meantime I'll start framing my old Countach and Diablo posters to hang in the garage!

1) I can't speak to that from experience, but if you're going new and have a warranty you should be pretty well covered. Tires and brakes would be the only point of worry, since tires alone can run about $4k for a set for 4.

2) Where are you getting your quotes from? A lot depends on your own situation (age, area, and if you have other vehicles). For myself my insurance quote for a 2014 Aventador is $7000 annually (full coverage, assumed vehicle value of $550k, $1k deductible, I live in LA and am 30). I'd shop around on that one, $30k is just nuts unless you've got a Veneno.

3) Unless you're getting a 50th or SV it's going to lose at least 15-20% of it's value. Seldom few cars are value holders and if you going expecting to lose money you'll be a lot happier. Just think of it as a "fun tax."

4) If it's your money, then ZERO

Congrats on realizing the dream :icon_thumleft:

3rd and 4th grade?????????

Only thing I was planning then was what to do during recess, what to eat for snacks, and when to nap. Are you Doogie Houser, M.D.?

Only thing I was planning then was what to do during recess, what to eat for snacks, and when to nap. Are you Doogie Houser, M.D.?

Where you not? I've been planning since 1991 (when I was 6) after seeing my first Diablo driving on the road. It was red and blew my f*cking mind. I knew I would have to own several one day. Hell I even know the exact intersection and time of day it was. Yet I can't rememebr people's names for the life of me :lol2:

Where you not? I've been planning since 1991 (when I was 6) after seeing my first Diablo driving on the road. It was red and blew my f*cking mind. I knew I would have to own several one day. Hell I even know the exact intersection and time of day it was. Yet I can't rememebr people's names for the life of me :lol2:

Hahaha yes I was the same too. Always dreamt about cars, and only cars. For me it was the SE30 and F50. I remember the first time I saw an F50, in the rain, in Belgium. I remember everything about that day, because of the red F50!

Hey! Don't judge! :icon_mrgreen: I knew exactly what a Countach, a Diablo, A McLaren F1 and a Ferrari F40 & F50 were when I was in Kindergarten and 1st grade. Growing up, I'd always say that I would own one, one day, and everyone called me crazy. Lol.

Haha... No Doogie Houser, just a motivated little kid I guess! I actually have an old homework assignment from elementary school where I listed a Lamborghini as my life goal. I plan on having it framed with a pic of my aventador when I get it. I vividly remember walking to the front of the class to ask my teacher how to spell "Lamborghini".

Haha... No Doogie Houser, just a motivated little kid I guess! I actually have an old homework assignment from elementary school where I listed a Lamborghini as my life goal. I plan on having it framed with a pic of my aventador when I get it. I vividly remember walking to the front of the class to ask my teacher how to spell "Lamborghini".

That's a great story, good luck with your purchase :icon_thumleft:

1. You probably won't drive it as much as you think nor keep it as long as you think.

2. Insurance. 2k annually is crazy good. Use high deductible and up your uninsured/underinsured coverage.

3. Value retention. Already answered. If you get too custom or weird colors/interior will be worse.

4. Wife. Tell wife you're deciding between airplane, Lambo, or girlfriend. She should be happy you chose Lambo.

Hey Everyone!

congrats,

forget deprecation, if you have to ask, then don't buy. i've lost $ on a couple Lambos over the years but drove the piss out of them, i have a few that are up slightly in value, for me it dont matter. Because i like them. And the opportunities that owning them has presented me has more than off-set any losses. Same for Rolls Royce's & Bentley's I've lost ton's on them-but the position they have put me in has more than paid for all of them. And I dont wear shoes-thats how strong cars can be if you carry your self in a proper manor and are a stand up guy. Welcome to the club! FWIW i've lost more $$$ on property than cars. buy smart

i pay around 10K a year to insure 5 Lambo's, a Rolls Drop head, 2 merceds and a H1, Stutz, and a couple buckets. You really need to step up your game with your insurance Co, i make the agent split back part of his commission with me, he has my houses, and other shit. that's the way to do it when your in the 500K car club, dont call Gieko that's for people one step above the bus. bundle all your assets and find a broker who plays ball.

i pay around 10K a year to insure 5 Lambo's, a Rolls Drop head, 2 merceds and a H1, Stutz, and a couple buckets. You really need to step up your game with your insurance Co, i make the agent split back part of his commission with me, he has my houses, and other shit. that's the way to do it when your in the 500K car club, dont call Gieko that's for people one step above the bus. bundle all your assets and find a broker who plays ball.

Solid advice...I learn some new site every day on this forum :icon_thumleft:

congrats,

forget deprecation, if you have to ask, then don't buy. i've lost $ on a couple Lambos over the years but drove the piss out of them, i have a few that are up slightly in value, for me it dont matter. Because i like them. And the opportunities that owning them has presented me has more than off-set any losses. Same for Rolls Royce's & Bentley's I've lost ton's on them-but the position they have put me in has more than paid for all of them. And I dont wear shoes-thats how strong cars can be if you carry your self in a proper manor and are a stand up guy. Welcome to the club! FWIW i've lost more $$$ on property than cars. buy smart

Thank you! I'm not TOO worried about the depreciation, more or less just curious what to expect. if I can hang on to this thing for 2-3 years/6000 miles and still get 390k when I sell it I'll be a very happy man. I plan on putting that money towards lambo #2 anyway!

Thanks for the insurance advice as well. I have a broker that handles all of my property/business/cars, I just wasn't sure if there's better options for exotic cars.

1. You probably won't drive it as much as you think nor keep it as long as you think.

2. Insurance. 2k annually is crazy good. Use high deductible and up your uninsured/underinsured coverage.

3. Value retention. Already answered. If you get too custom or weird colors/interior will be worse.

4. Wife. Tell wife you're deciding between airplane, Lambo, or girlfriend. She should be happy you chose Lambo.

It's about time I got some humor in response to #4! I'm very lucky to have a wife that's supportive of my goals, she's just as excited as I am!

Thank you! I'm not TOO worried about the depreciation, more or less just curious what to expect. if I can hang on to this thing for 2-3 years/6000 miles and still get 390k when I sell it I'll be a very happy man. I plan on putting that money towards lambo #2 anyway!

Thanks for the insurance advice as well. I have a broker that handles all of my property/business/cars, I just wasn't sure if there's better options for exotic cars.

for perspective purposes:

When I bought my first lambo I made a million that year, 600K after tax's. bought a 97 Roadster in 99 for $220K, The 99 is a much better car but I couldnt fade 310K at that time. I had a list of concerns long as yours or longer. 1/3 of what you make in a year on a car is pretty big-now I was a home owner first with 35-40% equity, $600K in cash(buried in my moms back yard-self insurance at that time). I put either 120K or 100K down and financed the other part-220K was the cost. I'd never buy a Lambo before I had everything else solid.

Then biz got good, in a year i paid it off. I couldnt stand to drive it until i paid it off because biz got soft, had to buy my mom and dad a house, and other things. I coundnt stand the idea of selling it-took me 13 years to get it. But I never really enjoyed the car until it was paid off. I felt like a phony driving a 200K car when I was making $0/month for abut 5-6 months in a row. thats just me.

Now by 03 I was rollin, and bought a brand new Murci, all cash, put a sound system in it, exhaust, etc. I drove it with out regard to the miles, i didnt worry about it at all, i had it for 8 years and 15,000 miles. I lost a little over 100K in 8 years, cheap action in the grand scheme of things. I did buy it right-that saved me 22K.

Thats the correct way to own a car, fcuk it and drive it. I do have other cars I do watch the miles on, I did my Enzo to a extent-but not like my first Lambo. Granted its easier to not care when the car costs a couple weeks pay Vs 1/3 of your annual income.

These days I dont make much, but my networth is going up nicely(fingers crossed) and its easy for me to drive the cars i dont watch the miles on. When I was losing millions, I didnt want to drive anything....

My point is this, if its too much for you, you might not enjoy the car. If its peanuts drive the shit out of it. It took practice for me to learn "how" to own exotics. I don't know if i'm the only one who had to learn how to "own" a exotic and enjoy it to its fullest potential. I can do that with some cars i dont drive, others i drive much as i want without regard. I couldnt get that right for the first year and change with the Roadster.

the short version of my long post:

It all relative to what you can afford, AFTER you learn how to own a exotic.

For some reason I had to "Learn", Am I alone? or does anyone else who's had cars for a few years understand what i'm saying? Serious question.

the short version of my long post:

It all relative to what you can afford, AFTER you learn how to own a exotic.

For some reason I had to "Learn", Am I alone? or does anyone else who's had cars for a few years understand what i'm saying? Serious question.

I learned the hard way...when you get into something that's more than you can afford you really can't enjoy it to it's fullest, you feel like you have to keep looking over your shoulder. After learning from some mistakes my new rule is I don't buy toys unless I can 100% afford them without stretching the budget. It's really hard to stay disciplined especially when you're close, but as my finical adviser said to me years ago "numbers don't lie, and if you stay within them you'll be able to sleep well and happy."

As you said in your earlier post, the absolute last thing you'll want to do is wind up being forced to sell something you've been working towards for a long time because you grabbed it before you had stable footing. Every time I'm tempted to make that leap I think back to some of the big mistakes I made and that feeling has stayed with me and keep me in line. There are folks that pay off and lease these cars but I could never truly enjoy having it unless I have the pink slip paid in full.

don't buy toys unless I can 100% afford them without stretching the budget

AKA, don't finance your fun. Buy with cash or wait till you can. Then once you buy, USE it, ENJOY it, get your miles out of it. Nothing sillier than buying a fun toy that you don't use.

I bought one of the first supercharged Range Rover Sports back in 2005 when that model was released. I had it on a pretty serious offroad run that weekend - people were freaking out that i was taking it offroad. People are weird. Get out and enjoy your vehicles, otherwise they're just garage art.

for perspective purposes:

When I bought my first lambo I made a million that year, 600K after tax's. bought a 97 Roadster in 99 for $220K, The 99 is a much better car but I couldnt fade 310K at that time. I had a list of concerns long as yours or longer. 1/3 of what you make in a year on a car is pretty big-now I was a home owner first with 35-40% equity, $600K in cash(buried in my moms back yard-self insurance at that time). I put either 120K or 100K down and financed the other part-220K was the cost. I'd never buy a Lambo before I had everything else solid.

Then biz got good, in a year i paid it off. I couldnt stand to drive it until i paid it off because biz got soft, had to buy my mom and dad a house, and other things. I coundnt stand the idea of selling it-took me 13 years to get it. But I never really enjoyed the car until it was paid off. I felt like a phony driving a 200K car when I was making $0/month for abut 5-6 months in a row. thats just me.

Now by 03 I was rollin, and bought a brand new Murci, all cash, put a sound system in it, exhaust, etc. I drove it with out regard to the miles, i didnt worry about it at all, i had it for 8 years and 15,000 miles. I lost a little over 100K in 8 years, cheap action in the grand scheme of things. I did buy it right-that saved me 22K.

Thats the correct way to own a car, fcuk it and drive it. I do have other cars I do watch the miles on, I did my Enzo to a extent-but not like my first Lambo. Granted its easier to not care when the car costs a couple weeks pay Vs 1/3 of your annual income.

These days I dont make much, but my networth is going up nicely(fingers crossed) and its easy for me to drive the cars i dont watch the miles on. When I was losing millions, I didnt want to drive anything....

My point is this, if its too much for you, you might not enjoy the car. If its peanuts drive the shit out of it. It took practice for me to learn "how" to own exotics. I don't know if i'm the only one who had to learn how to "own" a exotic and enjoy it to its fullest potential. I can do that with some cars i dont drive, others i drive much as i want without regard. I couldnt get that right for the first year and change with the Roadster.

Great points here. I'm on the safe side of this, I am paying cash for it and I know I can afford it but it's definitely the biggest splurge of my life-- just trying to wrap my head around it and really really know what to expect

Great points here. I'm on the safe side of this, I am paying cash for it and I know I can afford it but it's definitely the biggest splurge of my life-- just trying to wrap my head around it and really really know what to expect

Expect to giggle like a school girl. Also expect to want to sleep in it, to make a baby in it, to want it in family pictures, to name it, to think hours about your preferred vanity plate for it, to dream about all the hot women who's attention it will grab and to see how many teen aged boys and middle aged men's attention it does grab, to have people try to street race you in scions, to scream 'I'm the fcuking MAN!" when you start it up in your garage, and more.

to dream about all the hot women who's attention it will grab and to see how many teen aged boys and middle aged men's attention it does grab, to have people try to street race you in scions, to scream 'I'm the fcuking MAN!" when you start it up in your garage, and more.

True.

Expect to giggle like a school girl. Also expect to want to sleep in it, to make a baby in it, to want it in family pictures, to name it, to think hours about your preferred vanity plate for it, to dream about all the hot women who's attention it will grab and to see how many teen aged boys and middle aged men's attention it does grab, to have people try to street race you in scions, to scream 'I'm the fcuking MAN!" when you start it up in your garage, and more.

Lol! My god I can't wait for that...

Now that is priceless ...

hahaha so true.

To the OP - I hope it goes awesome for you dude. Owning a Lambo is an absolutely crazy experience that's tough to put into real words.

On the subject of what to buy, I'd probably look at just ordering new if you're thinking about a 2015. There will be very little depreciation right now as the roadsters are still in high demand. I went to look at a Blu Nethuns roadster (used) and it would have only cost me an extra $10k to just order a brand new instead. From what I've seen so far they are holding their value super well (which is awesome) but as many have said, you can not buy the car and let yourself worry about the depreciation. It's hard to do; most all of us that own them are self made and we're used to caring about the bottom line but this is one of those things where you try your best to buy it right from the beginning then just enjoy it.

Hope that helps!

• 3 weeks later...

Love this thread. Honest advice with little ego.

There is no right rule with justifying exotic cars. I have used cars as my motivation. If I didn't have a car I was pining away for I am sure our net worth would be less. I use them as the award for accomplishing certain goals. That works, for me.

Flip side are the guys who buy these cars on leverage. They don't make millions or have yet to achieve a high net worth. Its easy to judge these types as putting the cart before the horse. I disagree. If you are young-ish ad you can somehow afford a $400k+ car I say GO FOR IT. Yes, it will be at the cost of other things in most cases. Who cares. If some dude buys a Aventador when he is 30 (financed or whatever) there is an excellent chance he will work his ass off to keep it. Going forward he will have a taste for success and the knowledge he can accomplish anything he sets his mind to.

I am 45 and have been mostly financially conservative. I too can't fully enjoy a toy unless its paid for. Makes me feel like a faker as others have stated. (Perhaps those of us who think this way are too hard on ourselves.)

The rules I set for myself were that I could splurge on a (financially stupid) car once:

Note: financially stupid means buying something you KNOW you will lose money on. We do have other cars that have appreciated which softens the blow. 2010 GT3RS, 1989 911 Speedster, 1988 Ferrari 328 and a few others. We bought those right and all have appreciated. Nice unexpected bonus.

- House was paid off..check.

- 529s fully funded...check.

- Retirement was funded (paid off rentals)..check.

- Steaks in the freezer for a rainy day...check.

- Businesses were solid and little chance for a drop in revenue..check.

- 7 streams of income each producing enough to cover our personal overhead..check (truth, I only have 6)

NOW, Aventador Roadster time. No financing.

Hope this helps!

hahaha so true.

To the OP - I hope it goes awesome for you dude. Owning a Lambo is an absolutely crazy experience that's tough to put into real words.

On the subject of what to buy, I'd probably look at just ordering new if you're thinking about a 2015. There will be very little depreciation right now as the roadsters are still in high demand. I went to look at a Blu Nethuns roadster (used) and it would have only cost me an extra $10k to just order a brand new instead. From what I've seen so far they are holding their value super well (which is awesome) but as many have said, you can not buy the car and let yourself worry about the depreciation. It's hard to do; most all of us that own them are self made and we're used to caring about the bottom line but this is one of those things where you try your best to buy it right from the beginning then just enjoy it.

Hope that helps!