Am I due for a new battery?

alecela

Ok it's been almost four weeks since I last drove my Murci. Got in today, tried to start: the OBC showing a voltage reading between 10.7 - 11.2V. Turning the key made NO crank whatsoever. Is my battery dead or you think a jump start would help? The current battery was installed almost 3yrs ago and I take my car out approximately once every two weeks, just to give you an idea about my driving habit...

It might be time for a new battery. You really should consider a battery tender when car is not in use. My 2009 LP640 was on its original battery with no issues whatsoever, but I always had it plugged into a battery tender when the car was not being driven. It's a cheap investment in maintaining your battery life.

Eyedoc is spot on. The Murcie needs alot of voltage to crank. A tender will make your battery last longer as well as keeping the optimal charge.

When you get the new battery consider having the tender's quick attach plug put on the new battery and coming out the vents in front of the rear wheel. Then you can quick connect the tender without having to pop the bonnet or run wires over the body of the car.

Also be very careful when you jump the car. If the connections are touching the carbon fiber you can short out your instrument panel.

Tx guys. The problem is that the car is parked at a shared car park and I don't recall seeing any electrical outlet nearby. I presume the Tender is like a trickle charger?

When you park your car for long periods of time, disconnect the power via the switch in the engine bay.

Tx. I didn't intend to have such a long break. Moreover, by turning off the battery, don't you essentially reset the on board computer/ECU everytime you reconnect? I used to turn off the battery via the switch in the engine bay whenever I park and I noticed that the idling is a bit rough. I stopped turning off the battery and the rough idling went away.

Funny that it's the official dealer who shows me how to turn off the battery then an indie, who did a great job on my car who told me NOT to turn off the battery. Figure that!

• 3 weeks later...
Eyedoc is spot on. The Murcie needs alot of voltage to crank. A tender will make your battery last longer as well as keeping the optimal charge.

When you get the new battery consider having the tender's quick attach plug put on the new battery and coming out the vents in front of the rear wheel. Then you can quick connect the tender without having to pop the bonnet or run wires over the body of the car.

Also be very careful when you jump the car. If the connections are touching the carbon fiber you can short out your instrument panel.

Have a photo of how your plug runs to and through the rear wheel vent? I am tired of mine coming out the bonnet. Do you Velcro it at the rear vent to pull & use it, then Velcro it down?

Jump start it and charge it up by either driving it for 2 hrs or go to a shop to have it charged.

I think it is not unusual for exotics to die after 2-4 weeks. So I would not change the battery yet.

Have a photo of how your plug runs to and through the rear wheel vent? I am tired of mine coming out the bonnet. Do you Velcro it at the rear vent to pull & use it, then Velcro it down?

Car is in storage , I'll get pics when I go there in a couple of days.

I just have my plug on the frame under the power knob. Keeps it safe and clean. Plug it in after 2 days of not driving. The big bull likes amperage that's for sure. Battery is cheap...replacing it is a pain in the cunt!!

Does the Murci accept a charge through the cigarette lighter hole inside the car?

Yes it does. The cig lighter is connected all the time so the tender works thru it.

Yes it does. The cig lighter is connected all the time so the tender works thru it.

Perfect, just bought the adapter for my charger. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
Ok it's been almost four weeks since I last drove my Murci. Got in today, tried to start: the OBC showing a voltage reading between 10.7 - 11.2V. Turning the key made NO crank whatsoever. Is my battery dead or you think a jump start would help? The current battery was installed almost 3yrs ago and I take my car out approximately once every two weeks, just to give you an idea about my driving habit...

Actually replaced the battery BUT I still have a small problem of non starting...

First off, following advices from others, I now religiously insert the key, turn to 1st position, wait for all the lights to go off, then turn further to start the car.

Problem is that I don't always start the car on the 1st go. Sometimes I would simply take the key out and re-insert it, then manage to start. Sometimes I actually have to disarm then arm the security system in order to start the car. What could be the problem then?

Actually replaced the battery BUT I still have a small problem of non starting...

First off, following advices from others, I now religiously insert the key, turn to 1st position, wait for all the lights to go off, then turn further to start the car.

Problem is that I don't always start the car on the 1st go. Sometimes I would simply take the key out and re-insert it, then manage to start. Sometimes I actually have to disarm then arm the security system in order to start the car. What could be the problem then?

Every time I drive it after it has sat a while and even sometimes of it's been a few hours only I have to hit the unlock button and I wait for the chime twice before cranking. The alarm can be finniky and with that the ignition disable feature.

Every time I drive it after it has sat a while and even sometimes of it's been a few hours only I have to hit the unlock button and I wait for the chime twice before cranking. The alarm can be finniky and with that the ignition disable feature.

Tx. Do you mean opposed to me arming and disarming the alarm system, you would cycle thru the lock and unlock button for the door?

Tx. Do you mean opposed to me arming and disarming the alarm system, you would cycle thru the lock and unlock button for the door?

I don't lock but just do the unlock a couple of times until it chimes a couple of times.

Thanks for the photos above with the charger plug. It seems the battery is located right there by the wheel, so that looks to be ideal for the plug to come through the wall. Much better than fishing it out of the bonnet all the time. I think I will do that upon battery change, which I just discovered yesterday may be sooner than later for me. Mine tends to stay in the range of 12.10 - 12.50 without the trickle, and I always make sure it is at least 12.50 with my charger before going for a run. But yesterday was at 12.50, and after a short run when I went to start again it did not turn over and it also read battery low on the dash. But I turned the key again and it turned over fine to start the car. Then after getting it back in the garage, I tested it with a meter and was 11.50. So I put the trickle charger back on and a couple hours later was back to 12.50 again. Had the same thing happen in one of my Panteras too, in that it maintained charge well, but trying to start the car seemed to drain the crap out of it. Contacted the prior owner of my Murci and he feels it is the original battery, so for an 08 car, I am sure I am due. Anyone done the battery change themselves? Not being that familiar with the Murci, I am hesitant to try jacking, removing the wheel & wheel well, etc. But on the flip side an MBZ dealer just ruined one of my ADV.1 wheels on my SL65, so I hate taking my cars in as well.

Jan changing the battery is an easy 10 minute job, I did it last weekend. The trick is to remove the adapter that's holding the battery in place. It's located on the side of the battery towards the rear of the car. Once you remove that the battery slides in and out with ease.

I don't lock but just do the unlock a couple of times until it chimes a couple of times.

This is interesting. By locking and unlocking the door via the switch at the door, I never get any chime. I only get chime when I activate & de-activate the alarm via the key fob...

Jan changing the battery is an easy 10 minute job, I did it last weekend. The trick is to remove the adapter that's holding the battery in place. It's located on the side of the battery towards the rear of the car. Once you remove that the battery slides in and out with ease.

Thanks. I am more concerned about where to jack it up and jack strength needed, and where to put jack stands to get the left wheel off. Plus with CCB, I need to be sure I don't bump those in the process of wheel removal. Maybe if I look under the car it may be obvious about jacking. I suppose the wheel needs to come off for the process, as I didn't look at that area too close yet either.

dang... i think my battery crapped out today too. i drove the car yesterday. had the car in the driveway and now it won't start. just clicking sounds. going to put it on a tender for now.

dang... i think my battery crapped out today too. i drove the car yesterday. had the car in the driveway and now it won't start. just clicking sounds. going to put it on a tender for now.

Yeah, exactly what I am afraid of, on the road, then getting stuck in da hood in gangsta land somewhere with no restart. Did you happen to measure the voltage before you put the tender on? I usually measure right at the Tender plug from the battery.