308 vs 328

djantlive

I would like to add my contribute to this forum, as maybe it's the the only place here where I still can write something interesting, after selling my Countach and switching to a bunch of this family Ferrari models.

I would start by confirming that the 208 turbo models (the 82-85 model that looks like a 308 QV and the 85-89 model that looks like a 328) are fantastic cars, wonderful sound with a fantastic look (the 82-85 model), and extremely fast (the 86-89 intercooled model). They are very rare, very reliable (the 86-89 model, also the 82-85 model if properly serviced or restored) and very exotic.

I own just four... ;)

They are not well know outside Italy as they were built for Italian market, but they are my fovourite among the all family lineup (I own a drysump and a 328 too).

The first 208 turbo model engine is a three world record title holder:

1) highest power per liter: 110,5 hp/liter. This at the moment of introduction, April 1982.

2) smallest V8 engine ever installed on a car (1990 cm3), even now.

3) first street car Ferrari turbocharged engine, and this is forever.

ciao

Those are all immaculate and gorgeous looking cars! :icon_thumleft: IMO, the styling language of that era was the best looking "modern" (in a relatively speaking term) Ferrari.

And welcome back Albert!

Those are all immaculate and gorgeous looking cars! :icon_thumleft: IMO, the styling language of that era was the best looking "modern" (in a relatively speaking term) Ferrari.

And welcome back Albert!

I agree.

The BB/308/288 GTO look is timeless, and the quintessential "modern" Ferrari. I would say that the 308 GTB was the transitional car due to high sales volume and Magnum PI. When you consider the 365 GT4/BB, Daytona, 308 GT/4, 365 GT/4 2+2, 400......they seem to be the end of one era while the 308/328, 512 BB, TR pick up to where we are today.

Often the 308 and Boxer are underrated because of the smaller wheels and big gaps (also the big bumpers of US cars). But with the right mods they're awesome. Nothing will ever be as outrageous as a Countach but the Carribou modified 512 BB is ridiculous.

A note on Albert's 208 (Turbos)....

The NACA Ducts by the brakes...taken right off the BB, not to be seen again until the F40. I forgot all about that, but remember reading about it in one of my old Ferrari books.

Also the fog lights in the grilles.....I believe some of the Euro spec 308s had these lights. Perhaps it was a Euro vs. US spec issue...

The 208 turbos in these pictures have the American style rectangular turn signals on the front fenders as opposed to the euro style circular ones....and since you never left Italy, these couldn't have been federalized cars.

The "turbo GTB/GTS" in these pictures have the convex wheels of the '89 328s.....pretty sure even the 88.5 model year 328s didn't have those wheels. The reason for the wheels being shaped like that was to accommodate ABS brakes which were new at the time. Does this car have early ABS?

My question here is if the turbo cars were 2 valve or 4 valve? I do not recall.

And welcome back Albert!

Thank you very much, VCR!

The 208 GTS turbo has 12000 km, the GTB turbo intercooler has 24000 km, the silver 208 GTB turbo has 63000 km but it has been fully restored just 100 km and three months ago.

ciao

Very nice!

Thanks, Allan.

ciao

A note on Albert's 208 (Turbos)....

The NACA Ducts by the brakes...taken right off the BB, not to be seen again until the F40. I forgot all about that, but remember reading about it in one of my old Ferrari books.

No, they are for the intercooler (left and right Naca in the intercooler model) or for the turbocharger cooling (the left one in the not interccoled one, the right one in that model is for nothing)

Also the fog lights in the grilles.....I believe some of the Euro spec 308s had these lights. Perhaps it was a Euro vs. US spec issue...

They aren't fog lights: they are passing lights, a factory option.

The 208 turbos in these pictures have the American style rectangular turn signals on the front fenders as opposed to the euro style circular ones....and since you never left Italy, these couldn't have been federalized cars.

They come out from factory with those rectangular turn signal lights: they are all Euro cars and all with a Ferrari Classiche Certificate. The same for every single 308 Euro QV: the 82-85 turbo has the 308 QV body.

The "turbo GTB/GTS" in these pictures have the convex wheels of the '89 328s.....pretty sure even the 88.5 model year 328s didn't have those wheels.

That's an 88.5 model (July 1988) and those are the 88-89 328 rims (the intercooled turbo has the 328 body)

The reason for the wheels being shaped like that was to accommodate ABS brakes which were new at the time. Does this car have early ABS?

Yes, this one has the ABS, a factory option.

My question here is if the turbo cars were 2 valve or 4 valve? I do not recall.

They are all 2 valves

ciao

Unsi8o.jpg

QjVtAe.jpg

Nor the drysump is a bad car...

ciao

OfWap8.jpg

Au2NXy.jpg

0UHouV.jpg

6TApkW.jpg

9MicfS.jpg

kVMN3m.jpg

UQkgpl.jpg

tY1m2h.jpg

GaukDL.jpg

308 GTB is a fantastic car! expecially in this color

BUT too expensive for what it is imo...or may be the TURBO cars are too cheap?

308 GTB is a fantastic car! expecially in this color

Thanks, Emilio: that car's restore required almost the same effort as the one I put in my former Countach restore.

BUT too expensive for what it is imo...or may be the TURBO cars are too cheap?

I think that the correct part of your period is the second: a so rare, a so good looking and a so exotic car, the first ever Ferrari turbocharged road engine, should have a much higher price. There is no reason, in my own opinion, why they shouldn't cost more than a less rare drysump, even considering that the drysump is already a rare and a great Ferrari.

Or at least there won't be: the reason why they cost less is that most of them still are here in Italy and here economy is so and so and so everyone here wants to sell them. The day when all the world will learn about this car, things will change a lot: 250 or 300 cars don't even tie the number of big collectors that have all the Ferrari models ever produced...

ciao

some 2 liters turbo cars (GTB turbo, 1986 -1989 intercooled model, here shown the 1986 model) taken from official Ferrari brochures

ciao

wPCKeT.jpg

Ftj9D2.jpg

Kt87j5.jpg

bUZBtj.jpg

fS7cJo.jpg

some 2 liters turbo cars (208 GTB turbo, 1982 -1985 not intercooled model, here shown the 1982 model at the introduction on the market) taken from the official Ferrari sale brochure

ciao

u8YOWf.jpg

Jv91Fa.jpg

rpUH5i.jpg

D1Kh3Z.jpg