Hong Kong

HannibalACP82

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great place.... freaked me out when they started a toddlers swimming lesson in the pool. :turboalex: :eusa_think:

They're all held up by neck floats !...

hk_baby_swim.PNG

Here. Flight was OK. I'll write more about Etihad later. Rolled the dice for adventure and took the MTR to the hotel. Skipped the easy train from the airport to Kowloon and then bus to hotel in favor of 3 trains and a short walk. Worked out fine and we made it from landing at the airport to the hotel in around 2 hours.

Walking around now getting the kiddos so food before they nap. Hoping to hit Heritgae Museum and Victoria Peak today. Weather might not cooperate for Victoria Peak though!

Great place.... freaked me out when they started a toddlers swimming lesson in the pool. :turboalex: :eusa_think:

They're all held up by neck floats !...

post-14098-1451168573.png

Ha-ha yeah that is wild! Both of my kids can swim already which freaks the lifegaurds out. Especially when the 4 year old just runs and jumos right in sinking to the bottom.

We are in prime position for the Laser Light Show "A Symphony of Lights"!!!

post-24965-1451216486_thumb.jpg

That was a time waste. Not impressive at all. :(

That was a time waste. Not impressive at all. :(

Wait a few nights for the New Year's countdown; that should change your mind. But it might have a lot more people though.

Wait a few nights for the New Year's countdown; that should change your mind. But it might have a lot more people though.

It was 13 minutes of music and very little lights or lasers. However right aftwards they did a 3D light show near the Kowloon Clock Tower that was awesome. Oh and the Kowloon Clock Tower pictures I captured are AMAZING.

Kowloon Clock Tower and Plaza. They held the Hong Kong 3D Pulsed Light Show here. It was very cute and the kids loved it. Plus the Clock Tower looked AMAZING.

post-24965-1451222904_thumb.jpg

post-24965-1451222282_thumb.jpg

post-24965-1451222301_thumb.jpg

post-24965-1451222337_thumb.jpg

post-24965-1451222360_thumb.jpg

post-24965-1451222377_thumb.jpg

If you want a taste of the British Colonial era, go and have afternoon high tea at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel in Central on the HK Island side, or at the Peninsula in Tsim Sha Tsui on the Kowloon side. You will find the service and the decadence are still there (you can check out the fleet of dark green Rolls Royce's the Peninsula uses for the hotel transport at the main entrance as well). High tea starts at 3pm although you might want to get there about 20mins earlier as there could be a line-up especially on the weekends.

BOOM!

post-24965-1451223552_thumb.jpg

post-24965-1451223579_thumb.jpg

post-24965-1451223597_thumb.jpg

Waiting to buy our Ngong Ping 360 tickets until we got to Lantu was a mistake. Sold out online and now have to wait an hour to purchase. Oops.

Day 2!

According to our plan we were supposed to visit the following stops:

Po Lin Monastery

Tian Tan Budda

Woke up at 10:30am (we all slept almost 12 hours!), showered and hit a 7-11 up for some breakfast pastries. Quick walk to the MTR station at East Tsim Sha Tsui n the Purple line. Hopped on heading towards Tuen Mun and got off for the Yellow line 2 stops later at Nam Cheong. Took that 4 stops to the end at Tung Chung and promptly realized I made a huge mistake in not buying Tram tickets for Ngong Ping360 ahead of time Almost 2 hours later we had our tickets in the Crystal Cabin car to get to the top. It was worth the extra cost over the regular cabin as the boys got a kick out of the glass floor.

We got to the top and set off to explore Ngong Ping village along with Tian Tan Budda or Big Budda and the Po Lin Monastery. The village was absolutely gorgeous but not very authentic. However Tian Tan and Po Lin made up for that. Absolutely worth the day we spent out there as there is plenty to see and do. If you aren't a baller on a budget like me spring for the private cabin and have the entire tram to yourself. Only 4600HKD vs 810HKD for our 4 tickets. ;)

After touring the sites we grabbed a bite to eat for the kiddos (mini hot dogs on a stick from a street vendor) and for us (fried pork and eggs with noodles). Then it was back down the tram and a reverse of the MTR back to the hotel. MTR ran on time as expected and took 30:30 from doors closing at Tung Chung to doors opening at East Tsim Sha Tsui.

Oh and the GoPro Time Lapse I shot of the tram up and down Lantau Mountain is awesome and processing right now!

Still have to grab a bite to eat tonight as well as upload and post pictures from today. Also have to figure out when we are going to bring the Tram to Victoria Peak and the HK Observation Wheel back in to our schedule since we didn't get to them yesterday.

Looks like you are having a blast. Wish I could say the same about my visit to Cleveland. Ugh!

Definitely can't wait to see more pics and video!

Check your phone...and feel free to NOT send me pictures of the mistake by the lake. ;)

JKJK Hope you and the family are having a GREAT holiday!

Looks like fun! Keep the pictures coming!

Macau got pushed a day due to a late start. In Kennedy Town right now looking (unsuccessfully) for the tram.

Back in the saddle!

post-24965-1451361370_thumb.png

Ended up taking the Kennedy Town to Happy Valley Tram. The other team was supposed to run twice and hour but they told us we had an hour wait. Tram was fun but the kiddos had enough by the time we made it back to City Hall. Would have been better to do it later in the day when the kids would have been tired.

Grabbing a bite to eat for the kids and then off to the Maritime Museum and then the Observation Wheel. Going to shoot for Times Square today and then a ferry rather than MTR back across the harbor to Tsim Sha Tsui.

Love it here so far!