Any notable or major differences between '12 and '13+ Aventadors?

NRG x Lambo

i've read bits and pieces in the past on the forum, but is there any major reasons (other than first model year quirks) that i should try to sway away from 2012 vehicles and focus search on 2013+?

i've read bits and pieces in the past on the forum, but is there any major reasons (other than first model year quirks) that i should try to sway away from 2012 vehicles and focus search on 2013+?

Suspension upgrades. The 12's are more raw and harsh while the 13's plus had a more "comfort" approach.

I believe there were some ECU upgrades as well but I can't recall 100% off the top of my head.

I've heard some of the 12's have transmission issues. I've heard this through the grapevine from credible sources. But have no first hand knowledge. Would like to hear some confirmation to this as I'm on the market for a 13. Would consider a 12 if it was a late vin and I had confirmation the trans wouldn't be an issue...

I've heard some of the 12's have transmission issues. I've heard this through the grapevine from credible sources. But have no first hand knowledge. Would like to hear some confirmation to this as I'm on the market for a 13. Would consider a 12 if it was a late vin and I had confirmation the trans wouldn't be an issue...

that's what i'm trying to find out too. i thought i heard something about transmission issues, and the dealers inability to update software on 12's.

that's what i'm trying to find out too. i thought i heard something about transmission issues, and the dealers inability to update software on 12's.

Did anyone state exactly what specific "issues" with the transmission- for instance the syncro rings made from carbon fiber failed?

I have pretty much decided best bet is to buy a '13. I'll be in Europe by end of the month and will talk to knowledgeable people there.

I had a friend who raced motorcycles in England. When he came here I used to kid him about the fact he drove a Chevy truck. His response was "in the land of the Chevy......"

Did anyone state exactly what specific "issues" with the transmission- for instance the syncro rings made from carbon fiber failed?

I have pretty much decided best bet is to buy a '13. I'll be in Europe by end of the month and will talk to knowledgeable people there.

I had a friend who raced motorcycles in England. When he came here I used to kid him about the fact he drove a Chevy truck. His response was "in the land of the Chevy......"

I hear the rod inside the trans that selects the gear gets stuck. Don't know if that's the case on every problematic trans or not though...

When I get to Europe I'll check it out thoroughly and update here.

Thanks

Usually the best guys to ask are the service techs that work on them everyday. Office brass at Lambo most likely won't tell you much... Don't know where you're headed tho...

Usually the best guys to ask are the service techs that work on them everyday. Office brass at Lambo most likely won't tell you much... Don't know where you're headed tho...

A very respectable service tech told me to stay away from 12s at all cost.

1) suspension issues

2) ECU from the 12s and rest are completely different and even though factory had some software upgrades for the 12s they no longer released anymore even though they have released many more updates for the 13s and on. So he explained you deal with a lot more check engine lights and crap. Because of the cylinder deactivation that is in the 13s and on the ECUs are not same and factory is not gonna spend R&D time to come up with updates for just one production year.

3) he described something of a seal or something along those lines that is not present or in the right formation and when it fails you will be dropping $30k to fix transmissions and he said he has had 5-6 that he has done himself perosnally.

There were some other minor stuff but those three are the ones that stuck with me.

1) suspension issues

2) ECU from the 12s and rest are completely different and even though factory had some software upgrades for the 12s they no longer released anymore even though they have released many more updates for the 13s and on. So he explained you deal with a lot more check engine lights and crap. Because of the cylinder deactivation that is in the 13s and on the ECUs are not same and factory is not gonna spend R&D time to come up with updates for just one production year.

3) he described something of a seal or something along those lines that is not present or in the right formation and when it fails you will be dropping $30k to fix transmissions and he said he has had 5-6 that he has done himself perosnally.

There were some other minor stuff but those three are the ones that stuck with me.

thank you! seems like some solid info to convince me to keep hunting for the right 13+

1) suspension issues

Damn! That's definitely scarey enough for me to stay away from a 12. Thanks for the info.

I'm planning on talking to techs [in the shop] in Europe just like I do now here for my other supercars. I just think they would be more knowledgeable and more honest "over there." Thanks, btw...

I'm planning on talking to techs [in the shop] in Europe just like I do now here for my other supercars. I just think they would be more knowledgeable and more honest "over there." Thanks, btw...

There was a cafe across from the factory where a bunch of the techs and employees hang out. You'd probably get the good stuff after a couple rounds ;)

There was a cafe across from the factory where a bunch of the techs and employees hang out. You'd probably get the good stuff after a couple rounds ;)

EXCELLENT will do... and keep you posted.

Some of the members who has visited could probably fill you in on the name and exact address.

That's great! BTW, since I will be traveling all over Europe visiting many countries maybe I could be of help with parts or accessories, etc- once I get settled?

Obviously I will be in Italy more than once since we are buying 2 cars.