Will it scrape/high center?

StoleIt

So...I'm trying to add some 6th grade math in my quest of figuring out if I need a nose lift to get into my garage or not. Now, I didn't do too well in any of my math classes but, I did do well in art. Thus, I present you with my quickly thrown together photoshop of the issue I'm having.

Hoping someone smarter than I can double check this. Also, the picture is of an LP Gallardo but the measurements are for a Pre-LP when it came to nose to front wheel distance and then calculating the angle. So don't jump on my nuts for that, if I can figure out the formula then I'll do it again to see if an aftermarket LP560/570/GST nose would also work.

Also, the car isn't to scale but the actual angles of the lines are drawn correctly, the distances are a full decimal/factor/power less (so 48 inches is illustrated as 4.8 inches in the picture). Not sure if that matters.

Without further adieu my art project:

RPQ70X9.jpg

Thanks!

Neal

Edit: My 06 Viper at stock ride height would clear going down without issue, occasionally I would high-center on something when going out (uphill) especially if I had a passenger in the car. Tested with my buddies 2013 Viper and he made it as well. I can't find any dimensions for either of these cars online to serve as a base for my math experiment though. And I wont even fathom asking my buddy with an 04 G to try it out since his is slammed and has an LP nose, last thing I want is to scrape the crap out of HIS car...thus this post.

Give me a few, I've got this under control.

haha thanks.

And there is no distance for Section 1 because it's probably like 10 feet in length so I just did that as a constant.

haha thanks.

And there is no distance for Section 1 because it's probably like 10 feet in length so I just did that as a constant.

I figured as much. :icon_mrgreen:

The short answer, assuming the driveway lengths and angles are accurate, you're fucked. This is accounting for 0 suspension compression or extension, just a constant 4.5" ride height. The front point at the 38.3" dimension would be the front lip, it wants to gouge a good chunk of your driveway.

The high-center is very close but doesn't hit (in the static test).

DR.jpg

DRF.jpg

DRF1.jpg

I'd be curious to get the dimensions of a Gen 3 or Gen 5 Viper and compare since I know those worked.

I wonder if angling it would make a significant difference...I'd assume so. Crunching the numbers is a worst case heads on approach which I don't do since I swing wide to mitigate scraping/high centering.

Wouldn't some modification to your driveway's grade be cheaper then some of the options you're looking at? Between lift systems or replacing your front bumper / splitter etc., could it be more feasible to have the driveway re-surface with a smoother profile?

Keep in mind I don't have any knowledge of the design or scale of the driveway in question.

Regards,

Adam

Wouldn't some modification to your driveway's grade be cheaper then some of the options you're looking at? Between lift systems or replacing your front bumper / splitter etc., could it be more feasible to have the driveway re-surface with a smoother profile?

Keep in mind I don't have any knowledge of the design or scale of the driveway in question.

Regards,

Adam

It's a communal garage, I live in a loft in Wichita's "downtown," so no modifications sadly.

Noname ftw

I always knew *Name Censored* EMANON was a smart guy based on our conversations, but this was awesome to see. Solid works is a very productive program, but seeing him help someone else out with an equation was very fun to read! :)

I'll get measurements of the width and I have a buddy that is going to get me the dimensions of his Viper to also work as a control.

I always assumed the Pre-LP Gallardo and Viper had a similar nose length...I might have been wrong.

R9P1PGK.jpg

If only those damn chicks would get out of the way so I could get a better comparisons of the noses...

Taking into account being able to angle the car it's REALLY close going up the driveway. To figure out the angle I also went to a solid model of the car and tried to replicate the fascia profile as best I reasonably could. To account for PF and DR wheels being in compression I dropped the ride height to 4" (assuming 1/2" compression).

I discovered you'll have a bigger problem driving nose down into the driveway, where at any angle it wants to hit on the bottom transition. This is also leaving the 4" ride height which may be less due to all the weight shift down to the nose of the car.

There are a lot of variables here that get difficult to model without all the vehicle dynamics, weight distribution, suspension travel, spring rates, etc.

My short answer is, it might under the best conditions make it out, but almost definitively it will scrape going in (unless you back in). If you put another 200lb dude in the passenger seat it only gets worse. I work in worst case scenarios and then make them even worse just to be sure. What if you want to lower the car or change wheels/tires and they sit 1/4" lower? If it were me, i'd buy one with the nose lift just for the no-headache factor.

I haven't found any info on the viper front overhang, maybe VegasGTR will measure his Gen V for us? But i'm pretty certain the viper has a lot less overhang on the nose.

LP_25Deg_Top.jpg

LP_25Deg.jpg

LP_25Deg_Down.jpg

Why don't you take a few pics of the drive way? With front lift up, I have yet to scrape if I angle. I have never high centered ever.

The lift is pretty high. Also, pre lp allows manual height adjustment too

I seriously owe you a beer (or twelve) emanon.

In6QSoi.jpg

So the garage is 141 inches wide at the narrow point between the posts between the 90 degree turn going up hill.

ZxbpnYy.jpg

The ramp is 233 inches wide at the narrowest points and grows another 11 inches on the left and 9.5 on the right once you are past the posts.

The garage door is located 16 inches from the left wall and 67 inches from the right wall and was 167 inches wide.

Note: this was done with a tape measurer by myself and I'm sure all measurements are off +/- 1 inch at the minimum.

Just got word from my buddy with the Gen 5 Viper, its 34.5 inches from axel to nose and 5 inches of ground clearance.

ZcLqSe0.jpg

At the top corner looking down.

I need emanon in my team :headbang:

:icon_mrgreen:

My PM is always open, don't hesitate to shoot me a message and i'll help you guys out any way I can. :icon_thumleft:

Just got word from my buddy with the Gen 5 Viper, its 34.5 inches from axel to nose and 5 inches of ground clearance.

You know a simple test would be to just take some measurements with the viper coming in and out. With him at the lowest clearance spot, measure out 4" from the bottom of the fascia and down 1/2", see if you're hitting driveway or not? Obviously you'll need to maintain a pretty tight tolerance of 'level' but it should be pretty obvious if it will work or not.

If he comes in with a C-Hair of gap under the fascia you'll know right away another 4" won't clear it.

You know a simple test would be to just take some measurements with the viper coming in and out. With him at the lowest clearance spot, measure out 4" from the bottom of the fascia and down 1/2", see if you're hitting driveway or not? Obviously you'll need to maintain a pretty tight tolerance of 'level' but it should be pretty obvious if it will work or not.

If he comes in with a C-Hair of gap under the fascia you'll know right away another 4" won't clear it.

His Viper fit and at the "steepest" point I could barely fit my fingers between the nose and the pavement (granted he took it with no angle in his approach so it was a worst case setup).

I just wanted to use the Viper as a control for my ghetto math at the beginning since I knew it fit but didn't have any idea if my math was valid. Obviously, you scienced the shit out of it for me (thanks again btw).

My conclusion: if the Gallardo nose is 4 inches longer than the Viper then there isn't a snowballs chance that it will fit. :( But, it would seem that an 05+ with a nose lift would clear it since it would raise 2-3 inches up based on your calculations of an 04 barely scraping.