Manual Transmission Swap?

MW000

Has anyone done a manual transmission swap for LP640?

Would be nice to speak to someone that has done it

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone done a manual transmission swap for LP640?

Would be nice to speak to someone that has done it

I do believe that a member called DWiggs has a shop by the name of Covert Tuning Dynamics and said he did it to his TT 670 sv.

Not seen Him posting recently though?

I do believe that a member called DWiggs has a shop by the name of Covert Tuning Dynamics and said he did it to his TT 670 sv.

Not seen Him posting recently though?

Lol.

Lol.

[/quote

I can totally understand your "LOL" and was a bit hesitant to post but somewhere in this forum David said he has a list of all the parts needed and a time frame for doing the job, This list and time frame may well exist in David's head though?

If you do some searches on here and Lambo Talk, you'll see people talking about it.

From what I have read, it's pretty painful with wiring harnesses, new ECU's, lots of parts to source.

The transmissions themselves are very similar, but if you look at pics in the manual, they are different cases.

If I did it, I would want to start with a wrecked manual car, pull all the pieces needed, and then sell the rest of the car for parts.

But then I wouldn't do it because I think it's financially smarter to pay more for a manual that will have better resale value. You would probably lose money with the swap on the parts + depreciation for the mods that scare buyers.

If you do some searches on here and Lambo Talk, you'll see people talking about it.

From what I have read, it's pretty painful with wiring harnesses, new ECU's, lots of parts to source.

The transmissions themselves are very similar, but if you look at pics in the manual, they are different cases.

If I did it, I would want to start with a wrecked manual car, pull all the pieces needed, and then sell the rest of the car for parts.

But then I wouldn't do it because I think it's financially smarter to pay more for a manual that will have better resale value. You would probably lose money with the swap on the parts + depreciation for the mods that scare buyers.

What he said.

What he said.

The CAD to USD conversion is terrible right now and true 6MT Roadsters are next to impossible to find.

I'm keeping this car forever so I am not concerned about resale.

I've done the Ricambi parts diagram and found a lot of parts. From all the threads I've read that I could find, it says that manual and e-gear transmission case are identical

The CAD to USD conversion is terrible right now and true 6MT Roadsters are next to impossible to find.

I'm keeping this car forever so I am not concerned about resale.

I've done the Ricambi parts diagram and found a lot of parts. From all the threads I've read that I could find, it says that manual and e-gear transmission case are identical

Then post a pic from the shop manual of both looking exactly the same. Good luck with that!

Underground claims to have done some swaps on pre-LP Gallardos. Wiggins says his works well but I have not seen any videos.

I struggle to think it can be done well. Definitely a long, expensive parts list.

forward mounting point looks different, but that seems to be a bolt-on piece.

egear

Lamborghini-Murcielago-LP640-Transmissio

manual

988EFD26-C3BA-4F96-8BB4-2E7C5057A442_zps

The back housing is different. And area around the sensors in the middle of the transmission is very different.

So yea, if you change the front, the back, and the middle of the housing, the rest of the housing is the same.

The clutch is the same, but not the throw out bearing.

I find it hard to believe the whole thing could be done for only $25K with ECUs, wiring harnesses, pedals, etc. That barely gets you a car wash with a Lambo. And considering that the pricing spread between manual and egear cars is much more than that, and you can easily pay the dealer $20K+ just to repair an egear failure, I would think there would be a long line outside of Dallas Performance.

Scroll down to the long post with the picture:

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.a...443161&i=20

Interesting dude. I find it hard to believe he sourced a new gearbox, instrument cluster, pedals, wiring harness, ECU and other little stuff for only 3.5K pounds. If he did, I am sure duplicating that feat is about as easy as duplicating these super coupon reality TV shows that get $1000 worth of groceries and get cash back at the register. Doesn't really happen.

Interesting dude. I find it hard to believe he sourced a new gearbox, instrument cluster, pedals, wiring harness, ECU and other little stuff for only 3.5K pounds. If he did, I am sure duplicating that feat is about as easy as duplicating these super coupon reality TV shows that get $1000 worth of groceries and get cash back at the register. Doesn't really happen.

I agree it's a difficult feat, but sometimes things just line up. Find a wrecked car, seller lets it all go for cheap.

I did a 5mt swap and m3 motor swap in my e46 way back when and I got what was considered a similar type of dirt cheap deal

It might be worth calling a few places like Underground Racing, Dallas Performance, Driven Exotics, etc to get some pricing. If it really is sub $30k to do a swap, then that would be nice! I am guessing the difference in price between egear and manual LP640 is greater than $50k ...

Searching some of the parts sites, looks like a manual transmission with the tower retails for $35k new ... not sure if the main casing is the same such that holes are there for manual or egear parts.

I called SP Engineering about 8 months ago when I was searching for my first LP640. I was quoted $75K for the swap with parts and labor.

Dwiggs quoted me about $30k, UG racing has no interest in doing it, they've done it on G but not a Murcie and didn't recommend it. I'm very content with my e-gear and have no plans to convert. The problems that will occur are simply not worth it.

Dwiggs quoted me about $30k, UG racing has no interest in doing it, they've done it on G but not a Murcie and didn't recommend it. I'm very content with my e-gear and have no plans to convert. The problems that will occur are simply not worth it.

What problems have you heard?

The back housing is different. And area around the sensors in the middle of the transmission is very different.

So yea, if you change the front, the back, and the middle of the housing, the rest of the housing is the same.

The clutch is the same, but not the throw out bearing.

I find it hard to believe the whole thing could be done for only $25K with ECUs, wiring harnesses, pedals, etc. That barely gets you a car wash with a Lambo. And considering that the pricing spread between manual and egear cars is much more than that, and you can easily pay the dealer $20K+ just to repair an egear failure, I would think there would be a long line outside of Dallas Performance.

The area around the sensors in the middle is the gear selector, probably remove the sensor and machine a little delete plate for the sensor.

I've heard they have a different bell housing, but they look exactly the same. Except the egear trans will have an extra vent hole where the clutch sensor is.

Also, I don't understand why new ECUs are required. Delete the egear ECU, edit GFH settings to delete egear options (if that's a thing), and engine ECUs are on their own. Maybe change over to a manual wiring harness??

I agree, $25k seems on the low end for the amount of parts this conversion would take, unless that quote is for used parts and low labor rates. Shit, I should make a conversion. :eusa_think:

6 speed trans:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lamborghini-Murcie...JNz&vxp=mtr

egear trans:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lamborghini-Murcie...bon&vxp=mtr

The area around the sensors in the middle is the gear selector, probably remove the sensor and machine a little delete plate for the sensor.

I've heard they have a different bell housing, but they look exactly the same. Except the egear trans will have an extra vent hole where the clutch sensor is.

Also, I don't understand why new ECUs are required. Delete the egear ECU, edit GFH settings to delete egear options (if that's a thing), and engine ECUs are on their own. Maybe change over to a manual wiring harness??

I agree, $25k seems on the low end for the amount of parts this conversion would take, unless that quote is for used parts and low labor rates. Shit, I should make a conversion. :eusa_think:

6 speed trans:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lamborghini-Murcie...JNz&vxp=mtr

egear trans:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lamborghini-Murcie...bon&vxp=mtr

The ECU's might have something to do with the need to change the cluster. And it may also have something to do with the fact that the ECU on the egears is also controlling the engine throttle to do all that fancy blipping of the trottle on down shifts.

Lots of parts. If it could be done for $25K with parts and labor, you could make a business out of converting cars. Right now, early egears seem to struggle to break $120K and good luck finding a manual one now that doesn't have asking prices close to $200K.