Are dealerships OBLIGATED to honor mis-priced vehicles?

NRG x Lambo

curious. if a car is found to be significantly mis-priced (not quoted) but actually listed on their site and other classified outlets like eBay or auto-trader; are they OBLIGATED in anyway to honor this listing? or does it not hold any water? i know i've read and heard some dealerships have honored their mistake (i'm sure more as a PR move), but do they HAVE to? thanks in advanced!

there is probably some disclaimer somewhere thats says blah blah blah blah...........prices that are not correct may be changed at the discretion blah blah blah

curious. if a car is found to be significantly mis-priced (not quoted) but actually listed on their site and other classified outlets like eBay or auto-trader; are they OBLIGATED in anyway to honor this listing? or does it not hold any water? i know i've read and heard some dealerships have honored their mistake (i'm sure more as a PR move), but do they HAVE to? thanks in advanced!

Absolutely not. Its like all the asshole dealers that list a GT3RS or Mustang 350R at sticker, then when you call they tell you it is really $x over sticker.

Absolutely not. Its like all the asshole dealers that list a GT3RS or Mustang 350R at sticker, then when you call they tell you it is really $x over sticker.

I think calling them assholes is jumping the gun. When you use a factory website, the selling price on a new car is usually pulled automatically from the VIN number, as it has the ability to generate that information. Also, manufacturers frown on selling a new car north of list, because if the car is lemon law contested, the manufacturer has to reimuburse that money as well.

All that said, if you see either of those cars listed at sticker and think you will get it for that money, well, you knew what was going to happen. You can't blame a dealer for selling over sticker, if the car will command it. They get their teeth kicked in enough by consumers and their litany of information overload from the internet that they deserve wholeheartedly to make the extra couple bucks on a few cars.

No, they are not obligated to honor anything like that. They could have fat fingered it when entering the price manually. A small mistake like that shouldn't cost someone thousands of dollars.

topcabron is right, there's usually a disclaimer to protect them.......ESPECIALLY since its happened a few times and it turned into a shit show.

there have been a few situations where the price was completely misrepresented, like forgot to add the zero's.....and someone purchased it on ebay. dealer said "sorry"....the buyer took it public, brought it to the local news, made a huge stink....dealership ended up honoring it

topcabron is right, there's usually a disclaimer to protect them.......ESPECIALLY since its happened a few times and it turned into a shit show.

there have been a few situations where the price was completely misrepresented, like forgot to add the zero's.....and someone purchased it on ebay. dealer said "sorry"....the buyer took it public, brought it to the local news, made a huge stink....dealership ended up honoring it

eBay is a completely different animal as it has its own set of rules defining a sale. It is an auction and auction rules have to be followed. It is a contract between buyer and seller, and the contract is enforceable.

eBay is a completely different animal as it has its own set of rules defining a sale. It is an auction and auction rules have to be followed. It is a contract between buyer and seller, and the contract is enforceable.

This is true, but even there I seriously doubt a huge mistake on a price would have to be honored (I haven't read their terms of sale). No contract has been formed if one party made a major mistake because that party never intended to be bound to the mistaken price.

My pet peeve is shopping for a sub-40k car like a Camaro and it's being advertised for $10k less.. Discounts which almost no one qualifies for. Total waste of everyone's time and not a great way to generate "leads"

thanks for all the input. yeah, apparently disclaimers on the website protects them from "typos".... just confirmed and dealer also updated price on site. so i guess since it WON'T be honored and there's no deal, i'll share the funny story....

i frequent EUROCAR's inventory and have bought 5 cars through them. i noticed they had listed a 2016 Huracan LP-580 on their site for $158,999. LOL. so i immediately contact my sales rep saying let's DO IT! found out that the "1" should have been a "2"... which is quite a high asking price on a used HURACAN RWD. anyways, could have been a FUN buy... now, not so much!

I went to look at a Range Rover with the black pack at Land Rover Encino, they had it out front for $88k. Went inside and said cool, lets make a deal - I want to offer $85k. He said no, it's listed online for $96k and we won't take less. I told him that didn't make sense as the full vehicle listing sticker was in the window for $88k; my wife ( an attorney) agreed and said you need to honor your pricing. The sales guy then proceeded to tell my wife to 'calm down' which set me off.. Had to just leave before I said / did something I shouldn't have.

Funny side note, the first time we went there this same sales guy took us on a test drive and proceeded to tell us how easy he is to work with, how he sold cars to celebrities but he doesn't care, etc. As we're pulling back in he sees my Murci and says "Man that guy is going to lose his ass trading in that car. Nobody wants those anymore, you can't get rid of them. My friend has one, they are garbage." I said I hope he doesn't, it looks nice to me but he just kept going on and on.

Once we got out he gave us his card and walked over to another couple on the lot. We fired up the Murci and drove out, the look on his face was priceless.

I went to look at a Range Rover with the black pack at Land Rover Encino, they had it out front for $88k. Went inside and said cool, lets make a deal - I want to offer $85k. He said no, it's listed online for $96k and we won't take less. I told him that didn't make sense as the full vehicle listing sticker was in the window for $88k; my wife ( an attorney) agreed and said you need to honor your pricing. The sales guy then proceeded to tell my wife to 'calm down' which set me off.. Had to just leave before I said / did something I shouldn't have.

Funny side note, the first time we went there this same sales guy took us on a test drive and proceeded to tell us how easy he is to work with, how he sold cars to celebrities but he doesn't care, etc. As we're pulling back in he sees my Murci and says "Man that guy is going to lose his ass trading in that car. Nobody wants those anymore, you can't get rid of them. My friend has one, they are garbage." I said I hope he doesn't, it looks nice to me but he just kept going on and on.

Once we got out he gave us his card and walked over to another couple on the lot. We fired up the Murci and drove out, the look on his face was priceless.

It always amazes me that people like that can make it in the business.