Potential coup in Turkey underway.

kinnsella

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh boy, well, cnn will be busy this weekend. Trump and Texas have a back seat. No religious outrage for France, so thanks to Turkey for an interesting story.

Also Reuters is reporting tanks opening fire near the Turkish parliament...hope this won´t end in a huge civil war with hundreds or thousands of dead civilians

Also Reuters is reporting tanks opening fire near the Turkish parliament...hope this won´t end in a huge civil war with hundreds or thousands of dead civilians

:iamwithstupid:

Guys just stay away from me. It seems that wherever I go shit starts happening. :D

On a serious note, I hope it's a powerful elements from the army, and their coup against the islamist mini-Putin succeeds.

Guys just stay away from me. It seems that wherever I go shit starts happening. :D

On a serious note, I hope it's a powerful elements from the army, and their coup against the islamist mini-Putin succeeds.

The instability in the interim could be disastrous. Military is firing on civilians in Istanbul.

The instability in the interim could be disastrous. Military is firing on civilians in Istanbul.

Well instability leads to uncertainty. Basically things can go in several directions from here. I know for sure Erdogans direction, back to the middle ages. I guess anything is better than that.

Well instability leads to uncertainty. Basically things can go in several directions from here. I know for sure Erdogans direction, back to the middle ages. I guess anything is better than that.

Completely agree. Unfortunately some of the other options also lead straight back the Middle Ages too. Hopefully this will be surgical and we can get back to regular programming watching terror attacks and Trump inflaming the masses.

Completely agree. Unfortunately some of the other options also lead straight back the Middle Ages too. Hopefully this will be surgical and we can get back to regular programming watching terror attacks and Trump inflaming the masses.

I agree but at least there's a chance things may go the right way.

F16 shot down helicopter...

Well right now he is trying to land in Germany

Supposedly fräulein Merkel told him to sit and spin. :lol2:

Erdogan says it's a minority faction with no support. Then why did he shut down twitter fb an youtube? He also urged people to protest against the coup. So again why shut down social media? Wouldnt it be in his interest for people to gather and protest? Turkish military in past coups didnt fire on civilians.

Erdogan says it's a minority faction with no support. Then why did he shut down twitter fb an youtube? He also urged people to protest against the coup. So again why shut down social media? Wouldnt it be in his interest for people to gather and protest? Turkish military in past coups didnt fire on civilians.

I was told Turkish military shut down social media.

Interesting take on it:

Prof Omer Taspinar, a senior fellow at Brookings Institution who has repeatedly warned of a military coup in Turkey in recent months, said a critical question would be the degree to which the entire military command was involved in the attempted coup:

The situation is really fluid. Right now the question is whether the attempted coup is from the top command, with the top brass involved, or a colonel-level or officer-coup, from a certain segment of the army. There are indications right now that it is the latter. The chief of staff of the military has not spoken yet and traditionally with Turkish coups you would expect the head of the military to be on TV taking command.”

He continued: “This will rattle the Turkish markets. It will tarnish the country’s image. My analysis is that this will certainly be embarrassing for the country’s recently re-elected president, Recep Erdoğan. The signs are chaotic right now but I think the rumors of Erdoğan’s demise would be highly exaggerated given he has been on TV.”

Taspinar said the most dangerous risk was a breakout in fighting between divisions within the Turkish military and police forces and intelligence factions aligned between with Erdoğan’s interior ministry. “I don’t expect that to happen, but if it does it would be devastating to Turkey.”

(excerpted from this link: https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2016...gunfire-ankara)

Supposedly fräulein Merkel told him to sit and spin. :lol2:

He just landed in Turkey, its probably over and he gets to consolidate his power further.

Erdogan is looking to restore the Ottoman caliphate. He is looking for the seat of Caliph and the Muslim Brotherhood has given him their blessings. He's an islamist at the end of the day. The Muslim Brotherhood is also heavily involved in the political and educational system of the U.S. Every Islamic group from CAIR to MSA in the colleges your children are in, are extensions of this group. Look at what this snake had to say:

8gwdfDR.jpg

Remember, the Muslim Brotherhood was also "democratically" elected in Egypt before the overthrow. We don't need these people in the west. Let them rot in their hellholes.

Speaking at Kanal D TV”s Arena program, PM Erdogan commented on the term “moderate Islam”, often used in the West to describe AKP and said, “˜These descriptions are very ugly, it is offensive and an insult to our religion. There is no moderate or immoderate Islam. Islam is Islam and that’s it.”