Murcie stock wheels....now what??

DiabloChad42

Ok so now I'm thinking the only option is to go back to stock 18s. Now I can't source the tires!!! Feel like I can't win with this car!! Does anyone know a supplier to get tires from? Not interested in a RWD solution at this time. Just want to take the car back to stock. Would still consider another 19/20 setup if someone has something ready to go.

Pirellis no longer available?

I took a quick peek and they are no longer on Tirerack, Discounttire or 1010tires.

I hope they come back! It wasn't that long ago that they were there. I have a fresh set on the car so I good for a few years.

With tires it sucks because you can't horde them when they are available since they go bad just sitting on the shelf.

I guess you could try these services that look like brokers. I bet they add a pretty handsome fee on top of the normally high tire prices:

http://tirefinder.com/

http://www.tirehunter.com/

http://kenjonestiresblog.com/tire-detectiv...ionwide-search/

http://www.alltires.net/#!hard-to-find-tires/c1igw

If they find something for you, make sure you get the date codes on the tires so you're not buying ones that are aged out.

Unless you get very lucky finding stock in the US or pay for shipping from the UK, you will have to wait for Pirelli to make a new batch. I've seen this happen before. The fronts are available. It's the rear that are backordered. How long for a new batch? That I dont know.

I can assure you 100% that Pirelli Rossos rears are impossible to get. I actually have one brand new rear that I am holding on to. However, the Pirelli Corsa system is available as an alternative.

We do need to find the definitive answer to this tire problem as it is only going to get harder as time goes by, RWD is an option but it would be nice to be able to keep the AWD. I assume it is some sort of clutch or viscous drive in the diffs (or is it only the front diff that suffers) that requires such tight tire circumference tolerances?

Unless we could find multiple makes of tires with the same circumference as each other changing diff gear ratios will only shift the problem from Pirelli to another make of tire.

We do need to find the definitive answer to this tire problem as it is only going to get harder as time goes by, RWD is an option but it would be nice to be able to keep the AWD. I assume it is some sort of clutch or viscous drive in the diffs (or is it only the front diff that suffers) that requires such tight tire circumference tolerances?

Unless we could find multiple makes of tires with the same circumference as each other changing diff gear ratios will only shift the problem from Pirelli to another make of tire.

I don't think anyone is going to change the diff ratios anytime soon. That's a daunting and expensive task.

The issue with the tires is that they make them in batches. So while you can't buy them 5 years in advance because they go bad sitting on your shelf, you need to plan ahead and buy them a year before you need them or they may not be available when you really need them.

The Viper world is freaking out too. There are too many cars in this size range for the tire manufactures to not start production (~15,600).

Michelins are done (and have been for a while), Sheldon you're lucky to grab a set.

Pzero - 26.1" (front 24.5")

Corsa system - 25.9" (front 24.5")

BFG Rival - 25.9" (front 245/40R18 - 24.7")

R888 - 26" (front 245/40R18 - 25.7")

Threshold: 1.161417" to 1.437008" difference in size. So the BFG should work with the AWD.

The Viper world is freaking out too. There are too many cars in this size range for the tire manufactures to not start production (~15,600).

Michelins are done (and have been for a while), Sheldon you're lucky to grab a set.

Pzero - 26.1" (front 24.5")

Corsa system - 25.9" (front 24.5")

BFG Rival - 25.9" (front 245/40R18 - 24.7")

R888 - 26" (front 245/40R18 - 25.7")

Threshold: 1.161417" to 1.437008" difference in size. So the BFG should work with the AWD.

I know this has been done to death on here but could you explain your figures please

On the Pzero I am getting a circumference ratio of 1.065304 front to rear i.e. every time the rears rotate once the fronts rotate 1.0653 times

On the Corsa ratio of 1.057141

On the BFG ratio of 1.048583

Not sure where your threshold figures fit in? we know the Pzero and corsa work as they are oem fitment

I know this has been done to death on here but could you explain your figures please

On the Pzero I am getting a circumference ratio of 1.065304 front to rear i.e. every time the rears rotate once the fronts rotate 1.0653 times

Not sure where your threshold figures fit in? we know the Pzero and corsa work as they are oem fitment

White Out is not doing a ratio. Look at his units, it's inches ( " ). Your ratio doesn't have units because it cancels out. So just subtract the diameter of the rear from the front instead of doing all that fancy dividing of things...

Here's the math:

http://lambodiy.blogspot.com/p/correct-tire-size.html

White Out is not doing a ratio. Look at his units, it's inches ( " ). Your ratio doesn't have units because it cancels out. So just subtract the diameter of the rear from the front instead of doing all that fancy dividing of things...

so on the Pzero we have rear @ 26.1 inches dia and front @ 24.5 inches dia giving a diff of 1.6 inches dia

Call me dumb but I still don't see it as this is outside (larger than) the Threshold: 1.161417" to 1.437008" (or should it be 1.61 inches)?

Also without sounding like a dick "I understand about units canceling out" and my ratio is in revolutions.

so on the Pzero we have rear @ 26.1 inches dia and front @ 24.5 inches dia giving a diff of 1.6 inches dia

Call me dumb but I still don't see it as this is outside (larger than) the Threshold: 1.161417" to 1.437008" (or should it be 1.61 inches)?

Also without sounding like a dick "I understand about units canceling out" and my ratio is in revolutions.

Hmm.. the pzero rear size is 26.1" where I had 25.9" previously. That changes the variances to 1.161417" - 1.6236"

Hmm.. the pzero rear size is 26.1" where I had 25.9" previously. That changes the variances to 1.161417" - 1.6236"

[/quote

I get it now, was wondering how you got so many decimal places (6) when you were only using figures with 1 decimal place, the calculations you pointed to have tire diameter to more decimal places.

Also the wrong tire dia threw me off.

Thanks

Yes you are correct my ratio or any ratio for that matter has no units but has to be applied to something or it is useless, In this case it is to revolutions of front wheel to rear.

every time the rears rotate once the fronts rotate 1.0653 or a 1:1.0653 ratio, same as 26.1"/24.5" = 1.0653 (units are cancelled but we are left wondering, 1.0653 what?)

would you feel more comfortable with me saying " the front wheel rotates through 388.835 degrees for every 360 degrees the rear wheel rotates (when using OEM Pzero tires) thus giving a rotational ratio of 1:1.0653 R to F ?

I asked whiteout to clarify where the math was as I could not see where his threshold figures (in inches) were coming from.

You jumped in before whiteout and replied with "instead of doing all that fancy dividing of things..."

Whiteout then said figures for rear are different and corrected a number and it is now clear to me.

Sorry if I seem snippy but at the moment I am, Stimpy you put some great posts up that help everyone with DIY and cost savings on the Murci and I enjoy them.

I am giving you the benefit of the doubt on this one but please don't assume others are idiots, I assure you I am not.

Now lets get back to interesting stuff.

Ok so now I'm thinking the only option is to go back to stock 18s. Now I can't source the tires!!! Feel like I can't win with this car!! Does anyone know a supplier to get tires from? Not interested in a RWD solution at this time. Just want to take the car back to stock. Would still consider another 19/20 setup if someone has something ready to go.

Hang on for another month if you want the 18" OE Rosso rear tires. I've been looking/waiting for months and after talking to Tire Rack who called Pirelli, a new batch is coming in September. I just placed an order today for the front/rears on Tire Rack with a 9-7-16 ship date. The fronts are in stock and closeout priced. This ship date could change by a few days but should be close.

Hang on for another month if you want the 18" OE Rosso rear tires. I've been looking/waiting for months and after talking to Tire Rack who called Pirelli, a new batch is coming in September. I just placed an order today for the front/rears on Tire Rack with a 9-7-16 ship date. The fronts are in stock and closeout priced. This ship date could change by a few days but should be close.

What is the manufacture date of the closeout priced fronts?

Thanks for the info about a new manufacture batch.