Death of the 600 series sport bike?

Smash Boy

I dont like this either. I have zero interest in a 1000cc+ sport bike.

I dunno, I like litre bikes. But then again... I also like lightweight, flickable bikes with a usable powerband. So I'd hate to see the 600s and such go.

I dunno, I like litre bikes. But then again... I also like lightweight, flickable bikes with a usable powerband. So I'd hate to see the 600s and such go.

Let me be more clear. I like Liter bikes because you dont have to work them as hard as a 600. But they are just so insanely powerful. I've ridden a few and it is so effortless be in triple digit speeds, you dont even have to try. Then when you decide you want to open it up now you are going 150+. Im not saying I've never gone 150 on a 600, but it just takes a little bit more effort. I know you dont have to twist the throttle, but this forum isnt a Prius forum, every person here likes to open up whatever they are driving from time to time.

Let me be more clear. I like Liter bikes because you dont have to work them as hard as a 600. But they are just so insanely powerful. I've ridden a few and it is so effortless be in triple digit speeds, you dont even have to try. Then when you decide you want to open it up now you are going 150+. Im not saying I've never gone 150 on a 600, but it just takes a little bit more effort. I know you dont have to twist the throttle, but this forum isnt a Prius forum, every person here likes to open up whatever they are driving from time to time.

False! I love only going 0-60 sometimes IN A PRIUS! :lol2:

(i'm kidding though, I fcuking hate the prius)

I've only had one 600, the first bike I learned on about 12 years ago. They're great to get started but after going to 1k I could never go back - that power is addicting!

Same here, mainly cause having that power scares me.

The only bike I had was a 750, and I thought it was perfect.

Damn, this thread is making me want another bike :crybaby2: . I let my M1 license expire because I didn't have enough time @ the DMV to take both tests....

Regardless of what's happening in Europe, the demographics in America are changing. I think the 600 will hang on for awhile here, but will die in my lifetime. Sport riding culture is a way's off from where it was when the 600cc sport bike really took off, circa 1987. It's even becoming racially divided where I live -- bizarre. It seems more than a few new riders are entering the game beyond the 600cc level from the start too. 600s are still packed with advancements, so the cost differences are not enough to be economic stepping stones either. They are differentiated from larger bikes in riders' minds purely by power, unlike some other class like a 500 or 250 which are priced very differently.

I think the massive influx of novice riders with easier access to bikes and money are demanding the quick access to power that a liter bike provides with less work (less RPM). Torque is easy and addictive. Traditionally, the less powerful motorcycle (600cc) demands that its rider compete via steering. The more powerful motorcycle (1000cc) demands that its rider compete through power. With most areas of the country being flat and curve-less, the need to rise to the challenge of leaning over is less and people realize that most of their lives on two wheels are spent on point-and-shoot trajectories. Be the roads urban or rural, they are straight and un-challenging for a racing-oriented motorcycle in most areas. Plus, leaning over is difficult, scary, and potentially costly. The motorcycle that exploits a straight line better gets more buyers. The whole country has significant pockets of interest in riding, and if you're in bumble-fcuk Arkansas, either you ride on long public straight roads that demand nothing from the rider, or you go out of your way and get into local club racing for the GP style experience. Not everyone lives near a canyon or a Deals Gap where skills can develop, and racing is expensive.

This is also evident in the push toward aftermarket extended swingarms that completely abandon all hope of a motorcycle handling as a road racer. Huge portions of sport riding culture have given up entirely on leaning their bikes over for fun because it's hard, and the fun has been isolated to drag racing because it's easy and environments are too restrictive for knee dragging. Such a swingarm was never seen in 1990 on a street bike. And again, we have riders with less experience able to get into riding larger displacement bikes because anyone with a right hand can do it.

The other side of it is trick riding. As sport bikes flooded the country, flatlanders needed a way to grow and they couldn't do it where they lived. They became skilled at wheelies and tricks because that's all they could do. Again, liter bikes make better power and have higher torque lower in the RPM band to play with (put the same guys on a track and they'd be passed like fence posts because they simply don't focus on those skills). Thus, the 600 is dying. The 750 has been on life support for awhile now, so who knows where that's going.

If I were to bet on the future, I think we'll continue to branch out in non-traditional directions with motorcycles. All kinds of configurations and crazy ideas are likely going to be increasingly marketable and categories will be even harder to define.

I've only had one 600, the first bike I learned on about 12 years ago. They're great to get started but after going to 1k I could never go back - that power is addicting!

This.

I think with either the 250/300 Cc bikes and the liter plus bikes, there is no need for all those options in the middle.

This.

I think with either the 250/300 Cc bikes and the liter plus bikes, there is no need for all those options in the middle.

I'm not sure what the insurance is down there, but I was paying over $1500 annually for a 600cc sports bike (standalone) when I was in my late 20's. (Canada).

I can't see all of the manufacturers killing off the 600cc class. The Suzuki GSX-R600 sells quite well!

I only have liability since the bike is paid, so it's like 200 a year. I don't see anything wrong with keeping them around. I just don't think it would break too many hearts if they no longer offered it.

This.

Track riding a 600 definitely easier and more worthwhile than a 1000 unless you are really good. Really good might be defined as professional.

You could probably say the same about twisty roads.

Also, how is this conversation any different than V12 vs. V8/V10 Lambo/Ferrari?

SingleSeat hit it on the head......we have a generation of straight line riders who will probably never come close to putting a knee down on pavement, on track or off...except in an accident.

Track riding a 600 definitely easier and more worthwhile than a 1000 unless you are really good. Really good might be defined as professional.

You could probably say the same about twisty roads.

Also, how is this conversation any different than V12 vs. V8/V10 Lambo/Ferrari?

SingleSeat hit it on the head......we have a generation of straight line riders who will probably never come close to putting a knee down on pavement, on track or off...except in an accident.

Agreed with the slight exception of the V12 vs. V8/V10 cars. One sits comfortably in a car regardless of engine size. But one needs the strength and physique to effectively handle a 1L bike. The strength can be overcome to a certain extent, the physique, not so much. All the mass and power need to be in competent hands to get the best out of them.

Agreed with the slight exception of the V12 vs. V8/V10 cars. One sits comfortably in a car regardless of engine size. But one needs the strength and physique to effectively handle a 1L bike. The strength can be overcome to a certain extent, the physique, not so much. All the mass and power need to be in competent hands to get the best out of them.

What physique is ideal?

What physique is ideal?

I can't say what is ideal but for 1L sports bike, I would think one needs to be at the very very least 5'8", preferably at least 5'10", to straddle comfortably (or perhaps confidently is a better word) on the bike, lean forward and extend one's arms to gain full control of it. Due to the engine size, the bike is relatively wider, if one has shorter legs and/or shorter torso, that does not give one much room to lean the bike when needed. I would say 85% of the SE Asian riders will not have the ideal physique to ride a 1L bike. Even 750 might be a slight stretch to some.

I can't say what is ideal but for 1L sports bike, I would think one needs to be at the very very least 5'8", preferably at least 5'10", to straddle comfortably (or perhaps confidently is a better word) on the bike, lean forward and extend one's arms to gain full control of it. Due to the engine size, the bike is relatively wider, if one has shorter legs and/or shorter torso, that does not give one much room to lean the bike when needed. I would say 85% of the SE Asian riders will not have the ideal physique to ride a 1L bike. Even 750 might be a slight stretch to some.

The biggest issue I saw with sport bikes is the city riding aspect -- putting your foot down comfortably. At 5'6 and boots it's not an easy flat foot if at all (even with big feet!). This is where I figured being tall helps the most. Bumper to bumper traffic without lane splitting must be a bitch to a guy/girl who is 5'3.

Throwing the bike into turns I figured would come down mostly to confidence, experience, training, etc.

Now those dual sport bikes......how does anyone under 6'5 ride those things? LOL.

As a new rider (under 2 months) this is a shame to hear, I was looking at quite a few options in the sub 600cc category but after reading that article I am happy I went with the 2011 Honda CBR600 RR. I absolutely love riding it but thus far have no desire to ever get into the 1000cc bikes. To set the stage I stand a staggering 5' 8" and the CBR is perfect, in boots I'm almost flat foot which is not even remotely the case on the 1000's I sat on at the dealer. In my opinion there needs to be some middle ground. If you're left with only the 300cc and 1000cc and you progress as a rider but you're sub 5' 10" what is the solution? Now I know Honda came out with the 500 but after 2 seconds of sitting on it I realize how much less aggressive it was than the 600 which was an immediate turn off in my opinion.

Maybe something new is in the works that can fill our needs and still be compliant, I guess only time will tell.

The biggest issue I saw with sport bikes is the city riding aspect -- putting your foot down comfortably. At 5'6 and boots it's not an easy flat foot if at all (even with big feet!). This is where I figured being tall helps the most. Bumper to bumper traffic without lane splitting must be a bitch to a guy/girl who is 5'3.

Throwing the bike into turns I figured would come down mostly to confidence, experience, training, etc.

Now those dual sport bikes......how does anyone under 6'5 ride those things? LOL.

That's my point.

Training, experience and confidence (in that order but I suppose one needs the confidence in order to get into training first :) ) are essential in leaning the bike but if one has shorter legs and there's a huge 1L engine in between and underneath them, one's straddle needs to be quite wide already which leaves very little room to move around getting into the right position for the lean. It's definitely a physical handicap.

And yes, :lol2: :icon_mrgreen: on the dual sports / enduro bikes.