Any ebay sellers here?

Roman

10% less

Even 50% less?

Guess again. On what it sounds like he has - to get someone to buy all of that and take it on???

He would be fortunate to be able to sell for 5 cents on the dollar, of what the final gross will be selling it off piecemeal. Yes - with all of that to liquidate - he'd be damn lucky to get even $5,000, on what would ultimately sell for $100,000.

I somehow doubt Erik wants to make this into a year long project. Perhaps it would be best to break it up into 78 blocks of trains rather than selling each individual piece separately?

Double I bow to your experience with such things. 50% or more may be the cost of selling the lot, so RD has to decide what his time is worth.

Could there be a tax savings if he loaned the collection to a train museum? I remember the Chattanooga choo choo being famous when I was a kid. Do they have a train museum?

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

E, does your boy want a year long hobby, to learn how to make money and get a better allowance while at it?

I'm thinking more like hey Roman Jr, guess what... we're going to sell these trains and part of the $$ we earn will buy your first car. It could be a cool memory for him and leaves grandpa playing a huge role in a significant life event.

It would keep him excited, he will learn a lot along the way, and Roman won't have to personally dedicate a years worth of billable hours to this project.

10% less

Even 50% less?

Guess again. On what it sounds like he has - to get someone to buy all of that and take it on???

He would be fortunate to be able to sell for 5 cents on the dollar, of what the final gross will be selling it off piecemeal. Yes - with all of that to liquidate - he'd be damn lucky to get even $5,000, on what would ultimately sell for $100,000.

Agreed.

I would just take my time and list every piece, throw it up there as good until cancelled with auto re-list, buy it now, and best offer. It will take more time and work, a hell of a headache, but he will get his $. All he has to do is just sit back and let people buy.

Shipping shouldn't be much of an issue. Bubble wrap each piece, send it in multiple pieces in flat rate boxes.

Roman, might want to look into opening an ebay store and see if it would be worth it. Seems like it might: http://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/stores...scriptions.html .

I somehow doubt Erik wants to make this into a year long project. Perhaps it would be best to break it up into 78 blocks of trains rather than selling each individual piece separately?

Actually... Given my current income/tax levels, I do kinda want/need to stretch it out to avoid a jump in brackets.. So yeah... Im thinking a side gig... A little extra play/investment money a month... Probably no more than a grand/mo... Which given the values on some stuff is an item or two...

So based on that, is it worth me doing the ebay store front subscription thing?

Actually... Given my current income/tax levels, I do kinda want/need to stretch it out to avoid a jump in brackets.. So yeah... Im thinking a side gig... A little extra play/investment money a month... Probably no more than a grand/mo... Which given the values on some stuff is an item or two...

So based on that, is it worth me doing the ebay store front subscription thing?

Before I'd delve into opening a store etc, throw up a few of the trains on eBay and let them know in the description that you're selling off a collection piece by piece and see how it goes.

Before I'd delve into opening a store etc, throw up a few of the trains on eBay and let them know in the description that you're selling off a collection piece by piece and see how it goes.

That and then try to deal direct with people who are already on the hook for something. At least then you would minimize the ebay-rape...

RD, since you came here to ask for eBay suggestions, why don't you join some model train forums, i.e. if you haven't done so already; test the water over there like you did on this thread and if it's positive, list up some of your collection for sale there. That should minimize the eBay & Paypal fees.

RD, since you came here to ask for eBay suggestions, why don't you join some model train forums, i.e. if you haven't done so already; test the water over there like you did on this thread and if it's positive, list up some of your collection for sale there. That should minimize the eBay & Paypal fees.

Two very good suggestions. If tax minimization is your goal. Person to person sales, Small lot sales not out of a store front is the way to go.

You don't need a store. Study the "sold" listings - ones that sold via ebay. My advice is to ascertain how many specific SKU's you'll have. Then divide that number up into a reasonable goal of how many descriptive and enticing listings you can create per week (or month). Your goal is get everything up; until an item is up/online you can't sell it. So set a goal and make regular strides to achieve it.

Most stuff you should list as Buy-It-Now. If someone contacts you for a better deal, politely try to nudge them off of ebay but don't push too hard as some people get a bit self-righteous.

Can't say I much care for the term 'ebay rape'. They built this thing. Trying to use it with the intention of screwing them out of their posted fee is petty.

BTW... Everybody has been a fantastic help...

Ive started to open boxes... I think I'll now go sit on a railroad track and wait for a train...

My inventory- sucks.

The first train I found is in a box. The box doesnt go to that train... According to the inventory IT APPEARS the train for that box is in another box in storage down the road... So... :icon_hang:

I know having the toy w. the matching box, greatly increases the value... So... Ill put that car and box aside and wait til I find their matches... Hopefully. And... From what I can gather, the train for which I have a box but no toy (yet) is from the VERY early 1940s. It was my "father's first train" and he was born in '38.... So...

This is fantastic fun!

OK... Found one ready to go!

This thing looks brand new in the original box WITH instruction sheet....

Help me post this fucker up.

Aaaaand I cant attach the fcuking photos wtf?

OK... How do I take photos with my iphone that are size appropriate ?

IMG_7356.jpg

IMG_7357.jpg

IMG_7358.jpg

IMG_7359.jpg

OK... Found one ready to go!

This thing looks brand new in the original box WITH instruction sheet....

Help me post this fucker up.

Aaaaand I cant attach the fcuking photos wtf?

OK... How do I take photos with my iphone that are size appropriate ?

We are buying a new to us house and found a hidden HO train track today. How much you asking. For an off eBay deal?

I'm actually kidding about buying but we actually did find a hidden track today attached to a fold up table in the garage that opens like a Murphy bed. Really cool. .

That's an athearn ho scale tank car. It's not worth much and not very collectible. Athearn trains, especially with those couplers, are toy quality, slightly better than Bachman. If you have a bunch of those, I'd separate all the HO scale rolling stock (not locomotives) and sell them in groups, i.e. Tank cars with tank cars, short box cars with short box cars, etc.

Old Lionel stuff is more valuable and if in good shape will be worth spending time to list seperately.

That's an athearn ho scale tank car. It's not worth much and not very collectible. If you have a bunch of those, I'd separate all the HO scale rolling stock (not locomotives) and sell them in groups, i.e. Tank cars with tank cars, short box cars with short box cars, etc.

Old Lionel stuff is more valuable and if in good shape will be worth spending time to list seperately.

Yeah... Im saving the good stuff for once I have a clue what Im doing (and... Get to those boxes). This is a "test" case.

Start small/cheap... The when I get to the good shit I should have found my stride.

I literally cant find the "sell something" button... fcuk!!!!

one tip is find what you're trying to sell on ebay - exact thing then under the listing there is a 'sell one like this' button. When you click it it fills some stuff for you automatically, so you save some time. Obviously edit the listing/title to your liking first.

ok... check this out... what should I have done differently?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272539800615?ssPag...984.m1558.l2649

Open to criticism: GO!!!!!

Well, it looks like you listed it for $50 buy it now, but it's a no reserve auction. So, it's going to go for whatever people bid for it, no minimum price, correct?

Seems good. Description is good enough, people can always ask questions if they need more info.

BRB bidding on your auction and not paying :D jk

I would just do $15.99 opening bid and free shipping and I'd also change the return policy to returns accepted/30-day to start building toward top-rated seller status from the start. It doesn't matter and you can say "no returns" all day long, but eBay doesn't really give you the chance to plant your flag in the ground and pronounce "NO RETURNS!" in practice. Customers can still initiate a dispute and get their money back one way or another, so it's an uphill battle over pennies and ass pain. The benefit to being cooperative is the opportunity to influence a customer to not leave negative feedback. It's not an argument over who is right or wrong. It's a tactic to mitigate risk over time since you're view is the long game and not a $7 item. Most customers WANT the item and will not have a problem with it.

btw, don't bank on the view numbers on this example since all of us LP buddies are checking it out, not real buyers. There are only two other comps that have sold just like yours in the last month, so I don't expect this particular item to be in high demand. Yours is the only one like right now, so that's nice.

ok... check this out... what should I have done differently?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272539800615?ssPag...984.m1558.l2649

Open to criticism: GO!!!!!

1-Just an FYI; Your title and pictures say 62' but your listing description says 63'.

2-I would include some basic EBay boilerplate language that says, "Item will be bubble-wrapped for safe-shipping and sent within 24 hours of receiving payment. Tracking info uploaded immediately upon being shipped., " (or something like that. This is all just very basic language that separates the pro sellers from the people listing items for the first time). etc. etc. The appearance of experience leads to confidence in buyers.

Most buyers buy from the Mobile App now and won't read long paragraphs so keep it short and sweet. Other than that I think it looks good, and you definitely have the right idea! Now keep going! :)

I would just do $15.99 opening bid and free shipping and I'd also change the return policy to returns accepted/30-day to start building toward top-rated seller status from the start. It doesn't matter and you can say "no returns" all day long, but eBay doesn't really give you the chance to plant your flag in the ground and pronounce "NO RETURNS!" in practice. Customers can still initiate a dispute and get their money back one way or another, so it's an uphill battle over pennies and ass pain. The benefit to being cooperative is the opportunity to influence a customer to not leave negative feedback. It's not an argument over who is right or wrong. It's a tactic to mitigate risk over time since you're view is the long game and not a $7 item. Most customers WANT the item and will not have a problem with it.

btw, don't bank on the view numbers on this example since all of us LP buddies are checking it out, not real buyers. There are only two other comps that have sold just like yours in the last month, so I don't expect this particular item to be in high demand. Yours is the only one like right now, so that's nice.

Yeah. It didn't ask me about returns. How do I do that? Is there stick language I should use?

1-Just an FYI; Your title and pictures say 62' but your listing description says 63'.

2-I would include some basic EBay boilerplate language that says, "Item will be bubble-wrapped for safe-shipping and sent within 24 hours of receiving payment. Tracking info uploaded immediately upon being shipped., " (or something like that. This is all just very basic language that separates the pro sellers from the people listing items for the first time). etc. etc. The appearance of experience leads to confidence in buyers.

Most buyers buy from the Mobile App now and won't read long paragraphs so keep it short and sweet. Other than that I think it looks good, and you definitely have the right idea! Now keep going! :)

Same question above.

Yeah. It didn't ask me about returns. How do I do that? Is there stick language I should use?

When you revise the listing, it should be one of the last things at the bottom of the page. If you like, you could add text that says something about buyer paying return shipping and the item needs to be in the same/identical condition. Here are the TRS requirements if you're interested, http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/top-rated.html