JanDaMan

Starter problem?

Side note: Thanks to your research. When it is my turn to service my starter. I'll definitely consider adding permanent pair of wires to the red and silver bolts along with a quick disconnect end; hidden, protected, and easily accessible.

Store the remote starter in the car so that I can attempt to turn the engine over worst case, bypassing all the intermediate electronics from the battery to the red 12v.

Yeah I think you may be right, gunk build  up or just corrosion on the internal contact points. Car is super clean and in non treacherous Southern CA environment, but I guess contact points get crap on them somehow maybe just from internal moving parts. But at about 1:50 in the video below it gave me an idea of what internal contact points look like. Will be about three weeks before I can take it in for a real diagnosis, and if it’s the starter then a week or two for it to arrive. But I don’t feel comfortable driving it as is and parking somewhere. Tried it some more today and about half the time the key alone starts it. Good idea to run some cables on yours when you replace the starter, although with a new one I would hope for at least 10 more years of no starter issues. I guess someone would still need the key in the on position to steal it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Nij6sRRjEwk

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead