Power Steering REAR return hose replacement video

Old Guy Garage

So as not to hijack Stimpy's great thread on the front power steering hose replacement, here is my video of replacing the rear power steering hoses by the lift block and reservoir.  Additionally it shows replacing the alternator cooling hose. All parts used are also detailed.

Love the videos you are putting out. Definitely, some helpful stuff for the Lamborghini community, so thank you! 

Those smooth ID worm gears are slick, pardon the pun. I always hated when they'd cause hoses to bubble like that. And that plastic protective wrap is worth its weight in gold when it comes to being helpful! 

Glad to help. The wrap was a great find, much better than fender covers or towels, pretty cheap too. I can't find my link where I bought it, but there is other accident film on amazon and ebay. All should work. I still throw a towel over it to give it some padding as well.

Yes, towels, or something else sturdy, are still in order with the crash wrap if you want real protection. The crash wrap is designed to keep rain and debris out of crashed cars with open doors and windows, and not to provide any level of protection for the paint. As a result, it's about as much protection from dropped tools and sharp objects as a thin layer of chewed bubble gum. But if you are worried about buttons or rough areas on your clothes causing light scratches, it will do the job nicely.

If your car is nice and clean before applying, the stuff sticks pretty darn well (it needs to for its original purpose of staying on while cars are towed), so it's a bit of a effort getting it on and off. In the end, my roll sits in the corner for most jobs while I make sure I wear soft cotton clothes while working on the car.

Since it's kinda reusable, one idea I had was to make panels using study clear bra stuck to the crash wrap, and then remove and reapply the panels as needed. Storing them would be tough without getting junk stuck to them, so that's why I haven't done that yet.

On 4/10/2019 at 10:23 AM, Stimpy said:

Yes, towels, or something else sturdy, are still in order with the crash wrap if you want real protection. The crash wrap is designed to keep rain and debris out of crashed cars with open doors and windows, and not to provide any level of protection for the paint. As a result, it's about as much protection from dropped tools and sharp objects as a thin layer of chewed bubble gum. But if you are worried about buttons or rough areas on your clothes causing light scratches, it will do the job nicely.

If your car is nice and clean before applying, the stuff sticks pretty darn well (it needs to for its original purpose of staying on while cars are towed), so it's a bit of a effort getting it on and off. In the end, my roll sits in the corner for most jobs while I make sure I wear soft cotton clothes while working on the car.

Since it's kinda reusable, one idea I had was to make panels using study clear bra stuck to the crash wrap, and then remove and reapply the panels as needed. Storing them would be tough without getting junk stuck to them, so that's why I haven't done that yet.

Fender pads, like Snap On, or Kobalt work well. I'd probably double up with the crash layer, then the pad on top of it. But it would have to be sitting a while for me to go through that whole process lol 

OP, which pipe was actually leaking. I have a leak in the same area, and haven't been able to identify exactly where it's coming from. I've replace banjo union washers and made sure it's all tight, but still can't actually find the leak.

I also bought alternator hose from Demon Tweeks here in the UK, 15GBP for the length. 

On 4/17/2019 at 8:20 AM, deekss said:

OP, which pipe was actually leaking. I have a leak in the same area, and haven't been able to identify exactly where it's coming from. I've replace banjo union washers and made sure it's all tight, but still can't actually find the leak.

It was coming from the small hose to the valve body, y-pipe and the oring on the valve body under the fitting. Replaced both, all good. But I did all the low pressure hoses while I was there.

• 2 months later...

Since I have my front shocks off, I am going to go ahead and replace some hoses on the power steering like these return lines.

FYI for those that have the Koni system, there's an extra low pressure return line that Old Guy doesn't have on his later car. It's a right angled hose that looks like it will be fun to remove because the hose clamp going into the block is buried.

IMG_2901.jpg