this is true for all countach

some downdrafts are over 5.2 seconds in 0-100 KM/H

others are good for 4.2 and slightly over 300 KM/H

for sure downdrafts are the fastest countach

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey John, so gla12902 is a converted car? I haven't looked at the Registry yet, but I'd be very interested to hear from anyone that talks to the dealer about the car.......if they are honest or not about it being changed over.

There is no way an LP400 can do 300km/h.And anything over 240km/h in the car is outright dangerous.The front gets really light and the car wonders all over the road.I had mine maxed out at 300km/h on the speedo and it was scary

I would :heart: :heart: to have a LP 400.

:partyman:

I would  :heart:  :heart:  to have a LP 400.

You are better off with the 25th.It is much more practical and you already have a museum piece

I would  :heart:  :heart:  to have a LP 400.

You are better off with the 25th.It is much more practical and you already have a museum piece

Abolfaz:

You can also get the fugly :vom: 25th, and still be a bottom feeder.

Aram

I need a fast car some day :lol: .

There is no way an LP400 can do 300km/h.And anything over 240km/h in the car is outright dangerous.The front gets really light and the car wonders all over the road.I had mine maxed out at 300km/h on the speedo and it was scary

you are right about handling at +200km/h

no doubt the car front will flyes at hi speed,

i know this is not the max. speed for all LP400

but believe me

a road test made 2-3 years ago by one the most important car magazine in italy, with some of the best tecnical aid

showed a well tuned original LP400 outperform a 512 BBand maserati BORA and did an impressive 299,....km/h, not joking and i was surprised to

for my experience i can say this magazine is a little Fcar oriented and biased

Well Emilio

I had a very well tuned LP400 and i can tell you the magazine is full of shit.I owned the car for 10 years and spend an absolute fortune on the engine and everything.I would say it was the best running LP400 in the world when i owned it.

You can't believe everything you read.

Hey John, so gla12902 is a converted car? I haven't looked at the Registry yet, but I'd be very interested to hear from anyone that talks to the dealer about the car.......if they are honest or not about it being changed over.

I'm just putting out what the registry list for that chassis number. I can't account for the accuracy. If the info is incorrect then it may be legit, but it would be interesting to find out. The ad for that car is now up on dupontregistry.com

Ken, if you or anybody else talks to them please post what you find out.

Well Emilio

I had a very well tuned LP400 and i can tell you the magazine is full of shit.I owned the car for 10 years and spend an absolute fortune on the engine and everything.I would say it was the best running LP400 in the world when i owned it.

quiet man, i already said this was not bs magazine, and more others tests are from 280 to 290, not more less than 300

if you are saying your car was a good one, i thrust you, but i think your opinion is not everyone s law

Well Emilio

quiet man, i already said this was not bs magazine, and more others tests are from 280 to 290, not more less than 300

if you are saying your car was a good one, i thrust you, but i think your opinion is not everyone s law

I thrust you too monkeylt

Well Emilio

Here we go again.Quiet man???

I really don't give a shit what you said.When you learn how to voice you opinion with respect you might get some in return.

Since you have never owned an LP400 or driven one,why don't you shut the fcuk up and keep your stupid magazine stats and opinions to yourself

Uh oh.... here it goes..... :lol:

Everyone relax.....

Even after spending fortunes on these things they are still handbuilt cars and have wide performance variances. I once had two airplanes of identical make, manufacturer, and maintenance...... one was always 10-15 knots faster at the same power settings and fuel flows... this continues past engine overhauls, prop overhauls, everything. Never could explain it. I have seen that phenomena in lots of arenas.

My experience with my friends' car leaves me no doubt it'll do 300 kph (I have it on video - verifed by several means, none of which were the speedometer, but the easiest quick reference were the mile markers flying by every 19 seconds). His car is stable as a rock at very high speed, but that's another thing that is effected in large ways by chassis setting (remember the Countach chassis is almost infinitely adjustable - every suspension arm on the car has threaded adjustments) and lots of other seemingly tiny variables.

I totally believe that it will vary lots from car to car, as even with downdrafts I have driven they vary widely.

BMW racer, hopefully our friend didn't mean any harm - just a little language barrier I suspect - I certainly think your comments are quite valid as it is firsthand experience and you're no lightweight. Sometimes friendly phrases don't translate in friendly ways to other languages.

Ciao

I have worked on numerous Lambo motors and there are huge variations in the tolerances of components. I've seen connecting rod sets that the weights of each rod were so different, the crank balancer swore we mixed motor parts. I've seen cam shafts that were ground so differently bank to bank that we could not degree in the cams any better than the stock markings. Very low mileage cars with up to .005 stem clearance on the valves. There are so many thing that can detract from peak power.

These types of variations wil have a big impact on performance. It cannot be more true of a statement than each car will perform differently. A good service/tuneup will not change the affects of motors with some of the above issues or others.

I've personally worked on every model of Countach from an LP400 thru an Anniversary.

I do own an LP400 and have for 20 years.

The Other Ralph

Tiamo and mifune

I agree with your points.My point is:The engine in my car was taken apart and rebuilt by one of the best mechanics in the city.Every part of the engine was given special attention and we spent countless hours setting up the carbs so that the car would run right.And it did run right.

I owned the car for 10 years and drove it very hard.I know what i can do and what it will not do.Drag coefficient for a Countach is high,0.42 i believe.It is not easy to reach 300km/h and in my personal experience the car cannot do it.

None of you have have to take this as gospel but it is what it is.

And i certainly don't need someone like Emilio who has not owned one or had any seat time in one to make statements based on magazines and/or hearsay.I suspect there is a language barrier and will cut him some slack for that but i will not put up with disrespectful behaviour.

Enough said.

Tiamo and mifune

And i certainly don't need someone who has not owned one or had any seat time in one to make statements based on magazines and/or hearsay.I suspect there is a language barrier and will cut him some slack for that but i will not put up with disrespectful behaviour.

Enough said.

Couldn't agree with you more on that one my friend. I just love it when people come up to me at gas stations and such and tell me what my car can and can't do ! :lol:

Tiamo and mifune

And i certainly don't need someone who has not owned one or had any seat time in one to make statements based on magazines and/or hearsay.I suspect there is a language barrier and will cut him some slack for that but i will not put up with disrespectful behaviour.

Enough said.

Couldn't agree with you more on that one my friend. I just love it when people come up to me at gas stations and such and tell me what my car can and can't do ! :lol:

My favorite is, "What kind of milage do you get"?

My F.I. 88 was at 155mph, just about in the yellow area of the tach.

Steve and Ralph have a point about the vehicles. When it comes to these cars (especially the older cars, that had less automation during the fabrication), it all depends how Mario, Giorgetto, and Luigi felt that particular day. It depends on how much TLC and detail was put into the work.

_

I believe the figure of .42 c/d for the Countach aerodynamics; is for the dirty Countach with the big wheels, flares, and no wing. The clean LP 400 with the small tires and no flares, should have a cleaner c/d.

TiAmoVeloce do you want to race in Monterrey ? First one in Vegas gets the pink slips ? :lol:

I can tell you this, after i did all the mods to my Countach, it was virtually neck and neck with my buddies Diablo, which would destroy it, stock for stock. Once we would get into triple digit speeds though, the Diablo would start to pull away pretty well, most likely because of the terrible aerodynamics of the Countach.

Steve and Ralph have a point about the vehicles.   When it comes to these cars (especially the older cars, that had less automation during the fabrication), it all depends how Mario, Giorgetto, and Luigi felt that particular day.   It depends on how much TLC and detail was put into the work.    

_

I believe the figure of .42 c/d for the Countach aerodynamics; is for the dirty Countach with the big wheels, flares, and no wing.    The clean LP 400 with the small tires and no flares, should have a cleaner c/d.  

TiAmoVeloce do you want to race in Monterrey ?     First one in Vegas gets the pink slips ?  :lol:

Ralfabco,

I'm looking forward to seeing you in Monterey. What are you bringing?

I'm driving the Boxer up and enjoying a nice relaxing trip this year. The LP400 is staying home, so I guess we'll have to wait on the race :) PM me.

The Countach is going out tomorrow for a photo shoot.

I'll look forward to meeting other Lambo-Power folks also. If you see someone with an LP400 shirt on, it's probably me. So please introduce yourself.

The Other Ralph

Steve and Ralph have a point about the vehicles.   When it comes to these cars (especially the older cars, that had less automation during the fabrication), it all depends how Mario, Giorgetto, and Luigi felt that particular day.   It depends on how much TLC and detail was put into the work.    

_

I believe the figure of .42 c/d for the Countach aerodynamics; is for the dirty Countach with the big wheels, flares, and no wing.    The clean LP 400 with the small tires and no flares, should have a cleaner c/d.  

TiAmoVeloce do you want to race in Monterrey ?     First one in Vegas gets the pink slips ?  :lol:

Ralfabco,

I'm looking forward to seeing you in Monterey. What are you bringing?

I'm driving the Boxer up and enjoying a nice relaxing trip this year. The LP400 is staying home, so I guess we'll have to wait on the race :) PM me.

The Countach is going out tomorrow for a photo shoot.

I'll look forward to meeting other Lambo-Power folks also. If you see someone with an LP400 shirt on, it's probably me. So please introduce yourself.

The Other Ralph

Are you the guy I met about 2-3 months ago at crystal cove with a red lp 400???

Countach_2.jpg

Countach_1.jpg