Jump to content

What car manufacturers are going to disappear in 2020?


Recommended Posts

Obviously this year is not going the way anyone planned. What car manufacturers do you think might not exist after the dust settles? 

McLaren Mortgage's headquarter and cars in the building.  I dont follow car media too close, but this one popped up. Who else is in trouble?  One of the small super/hyper car makers will probably go away.  What about mainstream manufacturers? Any of them going away? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BLK85 said:

Obviously this year is not going the way anyone planned. What car manufacturers do you think might not exist after the dust settles? 

McLaren Mortgage's headquarter and cars in the building.  I dont follow car media too close, but this one popped up. Who else is in trouble?  One of the small super/hyper car makers will probably go away.  What about mainstream manufacturers? Any of them going away? 

 

Good question! Hopefully everyone fairs well through the madness. I've seen a lot of small and even decently known brands  shutter up from this. Really sad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Somebody will pull a Lotus and slap their name on a car by way of stickers and become a licensing brand. Like the Isuzu Impulse of the late 80's that was "tuned by Lotus" or the Mustang ASC Mclaren. Mazda and Mitsu have been circling the drain for a minute. Whatever happens, it is going to be a slow death. Lexus is kind of screwed along with Infiniti where their brand went old man luxobarge to 20 year old kid shot tuner car.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been saying for quite some time--I would not be surprised if Mclaren goes under. The UK gov't has no interest in bailouts ATM esp. with Brexit & unfortunately Mclaren has built its exponential growth on the backs of its customers in a bit of an unorthodox way.  The chicken is now coming home to roost.  Reliability issues notwithstanding the performance of their cars remains a HUGE pain point and why I have not jumped into one of their cars. So unless some venture capitals or maybe the Chinese jump in, Mclaren is on very shaky ground and might be a COVID-19 complication related victim.  I'm not saying COVID caused this. I 'm saying it accelerated their cash flow problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mclaren won't survive a VC. Any VC going near them are vultures. What may survive is what was there before, a tuner shop or at minimum a parts desk with a guy spray painting bilsteins orange before slapping mclaren decals on them. Sometime in the future: I present to you the Toyota Mclaren Corolla Mclaren SLR Mclaren...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

What is your take on Tesla? Imho their valuation is just stupid nonsense. Elon Musk is liar and there is no Tesla Truck, Tesla Semi nor Tesla Roadster... And people gave their money for those. And still give more in form of stock valuation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, rmtn said:

What is your take on Tesla? Imho their valuation is just stupid nonsense. Elon Musk is liar and there is no Tesla Truck, Tesla Semi nor Tesla Roadster... And people gave their money for those. And still give more in form of stock valuation.

LOL.  Missed out on the TSLA gains train, huh?
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/28/2020 at 7:10 PM, escobar said:

LOL.  Missed out on the TSLA gains train, huh?
 

Nope. I dont have any company's stocks.
Elon Musk is really going for Mars, because he thinks earth's problems are harder to solve than problems in inhabitable planet in outerspace. Also he thinks that computer is better driver than human. Cant really go with either logic. Both can work on dreams but not on reality.


 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

Maybe if/when Europe shuts down again something will happen. If they can some how still build cars maybe they will make it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/30/2020 at 5:44 PM, BLK85 said:

Maybe if/when Europe shuts down again something will happen. If they can some how still build cars maybe they will make it. 

UK just started.  Brace yourselves because its about to get bad again.  Regardless of your political stripe, reality is the pandemic is mucking stuff up big time. What I have seen in the hospital is beyond some crazy stuff I have seen in my career. Trust me, this is NOT the flu--I still think Mclaren is the exotic manufacturer most at risk to go under.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/31/2020 at 6:51 PM, DoctaM3 said:

UK just started.  Brace yourselves because its about to get bad again.  Regardless of your political stripe, reality is the pandemic is mucking stuff up big time. What I have seen in the hospital is beyond some crazy stuff I have seen in my career. Trust me, this is NOT the flu--I still think Mclaren is the exotic manufacturer most at risk to go under.

McLaren has been teetering for a couple years now. This may be the death blow for them.

I heard the CDC said they are going to stop reporting the flu data for 2020, and instead focus on Covid-19, sound correct to you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Destructo said:

McLaren has been teetering for a couple years now. This may be the death blow for them.

I heard the CDC said they are going to stop reporting the flu data for 2020, and instead focus on Covid-19, sound correct to you?

I would be surprised if CDC stop reporting influenza data. You can still test for the flu and so that data will still come through. The problem is the complication in the data in the overlap (co-existence) of the influenza and SARS-COVID.  Our worry is the excessive risk of morbidity/mortality with the combination. Good news is, rate of immunization with flu vaccine is way up--that should help but we are for sure in for a whole lot of hurt this season. Its already getting bad in some places even before flu season gets into full swing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...