Esprit dyno results and video

Allan-Herbie

Ok, here are the results, I am happy. As you know we found out that the turbos are at their limits so it is impossible to run higher boost, so we now actually back boost off from 1 bar setting it was at before, to running a peak of 12Psi, but it backs down to 11psi, which is stock. In miserable conditions, very hot and humid, and no airflow whatsoever we made 369.4 rwhp so 10 more rwhp, but we picked up almost 50ft lbs of torque! This is also with no dyno cheating, like icing down the intake etc. I just drove it in, we hooked it up and let it rip.

esprit_dyno.jpg

dynovid.wmv

Those figures combined with its weight put it around a stock Gallardo's rough performance level. Say two to three seconds faster to 150mph than a C5 Plastic mess-06, and a 1/4 mile ET around 117-119mph in optimal conditions.

Unless Allan is driving, then the weight figure is adjusted a little and the performance figures drop to the level of say a 1984 Honda Prelude.

Those figures combined with its weight put it around a stock Gallardo's rough performance level. Say two to three seconds faster to 150mph than a C5 Plastic mess-06, and a 1/4 mile ET around 117-119mph in optimal conditions.

Unless Allan is driving, then the weight figure is adjusted a little and the performance figures drop to the level of say a 1984 Honda Prelude.

Well the SS i raced trapped 118, and i beat him, and that was when the car was loosing boost. Id say the car is quicker than Gallardo.

:finga: :finga: :finga: :finga:

Well the SS i raced trapped 118, and i beat him, and that was when the car was loosing boost. Id say the car is quicker than Gallardo.

But you forgot to subtract 3mph for the "domestic driving f-body fan bullshit" effect... :mrgreen:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

But you forgot to subtract 3mph for the "domestic driving f-body fan bullshit" effect... :mrgreen:

I think in a run to 120mph i might edge the G. But after that, the G's superior aero and more power will take over.

cool too bad i missed the show. my flight came back at 5 and i had to work for an hour and then went to mark's (z28 owners) house to pick up my car. too bad you wont be here for the cruise this weekend. :(

Allan,

Looking at your graph it appears max torque is at 4500 rpm and HP at 6300 rpm which is the reverse of what you posted on the Yahoo list. Am I reading it incorrectly?

Still good numbers btw.

Thanks,

Jim

No the top line goes to 369.rwhp and then trails off, the second one goes all the way too 370, and then drops.

As for the weight, its right around 2900lbs.

No the top line goes to 369.rwhp and then trails off, the second one goes all the way too 370, and then drops.

Right, but the max torque is at 4500 rpm not 6300...

Right, but the max torque is at 4500 rpm not 6300...

According to the graph, max tq is 4500.

As for the weight, that is pretty light.

Ummmm, I think the graph is a bit misaligned... I think if you just focus on the colors of the line and how they correspond to the graph legend at the top, it will clarify the torque vs HP issue...

Allan-

I'm not sure if you have the correct facilities/devices needed to do a full on diagnosis on the Esprit's performance:

0-60

0-100

0-150

0-100-0

1/4 Mile

Top Speed

Etc...

I know that the Esprit can do much better than what some magazines test. I believe that many that test the Esprit don't know exactly how to PUSH the Esprit to its limit... Plus it would be interesting to see how the FINAL Esprit does compared to all others... (Even other sports cars..)

I've been thinking of doing this with my S4s.

Just a thought... You would be the ONLY person to do this with an Esprit outside of possibly the factory, and a handful of magazines..

Both of you should.

If you calibrate a G-Tech Pro properly, really take the time to do it right, it can be pretty accurate. Not optical 5th wheel accurate, but surprisingly close.

Sweet! Very nice figures and great Torque gain! I hate to say it but have to, wish I had the money to buy your Esprit when you sell it. Cause I know and can tell everything works and is tested by the dyno's and your driving. Your Esprit is good to go!

Man, I'm gone for 2 days and miss another great thread! :rant

Let me also cut in here if I may...

First of all, let's keep in mind that due to warranty issues, any stock Lotus Esprit after 1998 comes pretty much "governed" from the factory at 350 BHP. Just FYI, I have a '02 V8 Esprit that I dynoed in April of this year. The temp was around 98 degrees, Very Humid (Miami!) and worse of all, the fan they had in front of my radiator seemed like it was being manually spun by George Burns during his last years (May he rest in peace)! hb Considering my Dyno results (8K miles on car at time of dyno) of 312 RWHP & 264 lbs./ft of Torque, I must say then, either the loss of power at 11% (350 Stock BHP to 312 RWHP is a loss of 11%) is TOTALLY GREAT & CORRECT, /OR/ the Esprit comes STOCK with at least 367 BHP (considering a loss of 15% as the standard goes) or 380 BHP (at 18% Loss). Either way you look at it sounds Very Nice! :supz: Although due to other research details, we suspect the 365-370 stock BHP.

Lotus only offers 3 factory options/upgrades for the Esprit: Removeable Glass Roof, High Torque ECU, and Lotus Red ECU. The ladder puts the Esprit where it should be power-wise. Considering a 15% power loss from crank to wheel, and as per Allan's dyno numbers, his Esprit should be running 435+ BHP at the crank (450 BHP with an 18% loss). Imagine if you added a charge cooler to the damn thing!!

Anyhow, that's my Lotus-101 for the day. And as Allan said, I also think the Esprit is faster than the Gallardo. Not only cuz of this, but also due to a fun previous "spirited run" on I-95 with a Blue Gallardo which proved this all to well. That was one fun ride, anyone on the list??

Guest SP_wEaZeL

Damn, never thought we'd make such good power with the Lotus!! Good shit!! :supz: