Murcielago Roadster or LP640 Roadster?

Shark01

Have been looking at both. They seem to be $40k to $50k apart in price. The upgrades I’m aware of include:

52 more hp

Slightly more aggressive gearing

Upgraded e-gear (some agree with this, some don’t)

Slight suspension upgrade

Front and rear body panels

Nicer interior

Is there anything I’m missing? Has anyone owned both a first gen Murci and a LP640? Any upgrade in reliability? The deal is I can buy a non-LP roadster right now, but will have to wait a year if I want to go the LP640 route. Which may be advantageous anyway if the Aventador Roadster starts shipping mid-year, may be a lot of nice 640s on the market.

I have had both an 05 Murci and an 07 640 coupe, and I thought the 640 was well worth the extra money. With the 640 you are also getting a newer car, so you should factor that in as well. Get whatever you can afford, and upgrade later if you feel the need. I dont know if the release of the Aventador roadster is going to do much of anything to the 640 roadster market. The coupe didnt seem to.

The LP feels a lot newer, tighter, and faster. The variable valve timing and other mechanical changes make a noticeable difference performance wise. It may be 52 HP or whatever though it feels like more. The murci feels older and slower, not to mention it also looks a bit dated in comparison. Test drive them back to back to get a better idea. They're both good cars and maybe these differences don't mean as much to you as someone else.

The LP feels a lot newer, tighter, and faster. The variable valve timing and other mechanical changes make a noticeable difference performance wise. It may be 52 HP or whatever though it feels like more. The murci feels older and slower, not to mention it also looks a bit dated in comparison. Test drive them back to back to get a better idea. They're both good cars and maybe these differences don't mean as much to you as someone else.

completely agree. the engine in the murci feels strained, and in the lp640 it feels like a angry bull let loose !

lp640 roadster for sure

I have an 06 currently, and I've had the pleasure of driving both. I really cant agree with folks talking about the 'dated' look for the murci, as its just not true. Maybe to owners we KNOW the difference between the years, so we know an 06 vs an 07 when we see them. But anytime and EVERYTIME I drive my 06 roadster, people are like damn is that a 2013? I laugh and say uh no, its 6 years older then that. So if its about 'show' you cant get a better bang for the buck car then the Murci Roadster 04-06, because of the great price point.

Also the updated interior 'argument' is a bit blown out of proportion, I've had mind SIDE BY SIDE a highly optioned out lp640 and GOOD luck telling any difference other then the quilted seats, IF they got that option. Otherwise, if you have a 'regular murci' with the carbon package, nearly part of part is the same as a lp640 carbon package car. (mine has such a package). The only noticeable interior differences, is the guage cluster. The lp640 definitely looks busyier and more refined. The last item that is different is the Double Din display, and while its actually a real CUNT to install one, I did, and mine looks fabulous. So if I wanted just the looks a reg murci is a fabulous 'deal.'

WITH that said, I am now ACTIVELY looking for an lp640, which thank god I have a 'regular murci' to get me through the waiting, because it took me 2 years to find a 'regular murci' that had everything I wanted (Roadster, Carbon Fiber Package, Ceramic Brakes, Egear, low mileage (2,400), etc). I just want the lp640 because I DO believe the build quality is better (although they both suck when compared to assembly line cars), and the parts I understand are more 'audi' and less 'lamborghini' which honestly means more reliable. The power will be nice, but if you have actually ever owned a fast car (say something in the mid 10's in the quarter mile) EITHER of these cars is going to feel like a slow pig.

Thats my 2 cents. The 40k savings in some cases is a justifiable reason to take the 'lesser' murci, especially those who are stretching a budget, but if you want the 'top of the food chain' roadster version of the murci, then there is the lp640, as honestly the lp650 is next to impossible to find, and not sure its worth the premium.

Hope that helps. Take your time, find the right car.. and make sure you have an OWNER of one of these cars already check it out. I can tell you this, only after owning one, I got DAMN lucky how solid my car was... I could have had some SERIOUS nightmares if I had just 'accepted' a PPI on a car that a dealership said was 'great' but they didnt know the ins and outs of the murci to REALLY know what to look for. (leaks, abuse, repairs, etc). I've seen enough murci's to know bad owners can do a lot of damage quickly.

Jon

IMG_2135-1024x510.jpg

+1

I've owned 2 2002 Murci's, a 2003 Murci, and currently own a 2007 LP640 which I have had since 2010. While I always like Lambos growing up and had Countach posters, I blame Roy for my Lambo addiction. LOL. But I do thank him for showing me the light, er dark side...

I do like the upgrades of the LP640 (especially the exterior and interior) and think it is a much better car. Then again it should be after 5 years of being built.

The shifter broke on the first 2002 Murci I had while on a car rally. We did a temporary fix while in Scottsdale. I had leaking shocks on two of my first gen Murci's. I didn't like the price of having to replace the shocks. While I'm sure most of the other issues such as the coil pack easily having water leak in them (on at least the 2002 cars - I also had to replace spark plugs more than once in my 2003) would be taken care of with maintenance by now, it is something to look at. Also the throttle bodies had to be cleaned more often on the first gen cars.

I cannot speak about the e-gear since my LP640 is a manual as were the other ones I owned (e-gear didn't come out until 2004).

I think the suspension is more than a slight upgrade. The LP640 feels much better to me.

Thanks guys,

I don't think any version of the Murci looks dated inside or out......but I do like the upgrades.

Looks pretty overwhelming that I should wait....or just buy a Ford GT......LOL, but that is the other option.

Thanks guys,

I don't think any version of the Murci looks dated inside or out......but I do like the upgrades.

Looks pretty overwhelming that I should wait....or just buy a Ford GT......LOL, but that is the other option.

I almost purchased a Ford GT in 2007 instead of my first 2002 Murci. What held me back was that there is no room for luggage. I have done 10 day roads trips in a Murci and really enjoyed it - especially being able to pack all the luggage I need in the front trunk. I will note that the prices of the Ford GT have remained steady, but I'm extremely happy with Lambo ownership.

The original Murci Roadster is a great car, but I think the LP640 Roadster is worth the extra money. 52 more horsepower AND you get that agressive styling! (Not saying the original isn't agressive).