How do you think the P140 would have done if it went into production?

abolfaz

Very interesting topic. Not sure how well this thread will do or generate how many responses but I consider this one to be one of the best threads of late as oppose to the other train-wreck-like but extremely popular thread.

Assuming the owners of that era had the means to make the car a reality and the QC was up to par, I think the car would have done extraordinarily well; everything both inside and out looked refreshing and unique in a good positive way. And Lamborghini SpA would have been a completely different company altogether today. Not necessarily better, just totally different. For one, Lamborghini would have had a car to compete with Ferrari on that sector and each would have their own clientele just like the Gallardo vs the 360's & 430's. Again, assuming the P140's QC was up to standard, it would have provided the much needed funding to complete and produce the then new flagship, the Diablo, a lot earlier. Maybe they might even stick to Gandini's original design for the D and the Cizeta-Moroder may never had existed! (Not that it was successful either.) If cars were being made and sold at a steady and stable rate under the 2-model line-up, then Lamborghini may not have to go through several owners before finally settled under the Audi/VAG umbrella. It'll likely still end up being bought by some conglomerate though as atelier-style car manufacturer simply cannot survive. (I don't really consider Pagani a 100% manufacturer of its own since the powertrain is outsourced. So Koenigsegg is the only exception but obviously CVK didn't strike it rich by being a car manufacturer initially either.) If the owner isn't VAG, whether Lamborghini would be as successful as it is today or simply exist is in question as VAG simply had the finances with Audi being the hardware supporter. Not too many other brands could have done the same or would risk such a gamble especially when the knowledge gained from the acquisition was the exotic car sector. This wasn't like BMW acquiring Land Rover and spawned it's own X-series; especially when BMW was comfortably cashing in from its M-series. Mercedes-Benz was too busy catering to the more "mature" clients at that time so something like Lamborghini wouldn't have appeal to them anyway. The Japanese manufacturers neither had the interest, the need nor the capability to acquire an exotic car company under their wings; nor do any other car manufacturers in general since the exotic car sector was and still is such a niche market. Lambo's Gallardo/LP5x0 series would have been extremely different since it wouldn't have been the first "baby/entry Lambo" in 15years when it was first introduced. They would have been evolutionary designs from the P140 and whatever followed in between as oppose to a clean sheet design from scratch.

If the qc would have been on par with the other contemporaneous products, we'd all be fawning over the old school baby Lambo now. Interior looked nice, exterior was not derivative and looked cutting edge for its time. And you're right, imagine the cash generated by this car back then and what it would have done for the company.

I love those two cars. I wonder myself what would have happened if they had made it into production. I feel like these cars are missing chapters, or progressive links, in Lamborghini history.

As I wrote up a big long explanation as to why I don't think those 2 cars would have been successful, I started to change my mind. They had a V10 worked out and it looked to be all but settled that the Cala would go into production at the time. I remember lots of articles about the Cala and there was a lot of excitement about it.

I think it just comes down to the economics of the cars. They were just not right for the LP140 and Cala. The Gallardo had a ton of help from Audi. I understand the majority of the Gallardo is made elsewhere. The engines are made in the Ukraine. Lots of parts are from the high quality Audi parts bin. I think the LP140 and Cala would have been hand made at the Lamborghini factory, and been very costly to produce. Though I think both cars would have been incredible, I don't think the economics were right. Adding another high cost handmade car to the line up, when they were already spread thin, would not have helped them. I think Lamborghini came to the same conclusion.

Economics aside, I think both of those cars would have been incredible. The LP140 looks like a miniature Diablo and I absolutely love it. The Cala got rave reviews at the time and I thought it was just a matter of time before it went into production. It came incredibly close to being a production car from what I remember. I was really disappointed when it did not get made.

I think comparisons to the success of the Gallardo should be tempered by comparisons to the troubles of the V8s.

I was poking around looking at videos of the Cala. About half way through this clip, there is a Gallardo right next to the Cala. They are WAY more similar than I thought. I would have loved to have seen the baby Lamborghini cars lined up and see some road test comparisons. The Bravo should be there too.

I agree with the sentiment that it's the economics that killed these cars. The exotic market isn't like it is today, so for Lamborghini to have another car in their line up would have been a huge risk that most likely would not have paid off. It's always interesting to ask these what if questions. I always thought the Cala design was beautiful and timeless and looking at it compared to a Sesto Elemento, there's a lot of similarities when you see them side-by-side (or see a Sesto in yellow). The Sesto is certainly more modern and stealthy, but the classic Italian lines in the Cala make it a stunning design.

1995_Lamborghini_CalaItaldesignConcept3.jpg

2013-lamborghini-sesto-elemento-car-review-top-speed-for-lamborghini-sesto-elemento-how-many-in-the-world.jpg

s-l1000.jpg

Need For Speed 2 for the win!! Crazy to think that was released TWENTY years ago (yup, 1997)... :eek3dance:

Right? The production value in the movies for that game probably inspired the Top Gear guys to turn their ship around. It's really incredible what they did at the time for a game.

Great topic!! IMHO the Cala could still have relevance today. If we look at the automotive landscape today the movement is going toward alternative power system, " green " technology and autonomous systems. The Cala could be freshened up, not that it really needs to be, and packaged with either a V-6 hybrid system or battery power system. It could be a sort of pocket rocket exotic. This could be another segment Lamborghini could tap into.

Imagine the Cala slotting in at a $70-80k pricepoint with a 2.5l V-6 with a small electric motor...putting out around 400hp with a 0-60 of maybe 3-4 seconds, maybe a 6 speed manual option and enough electronics to maximize handling with a top speed of 140 - 150mph. A target of maybe 10k units a year with a three or four year production run. Who's on board!!??

Great topic!! IMHO the Cala could still have relevance today. If we look at the automotive landscape today the movement is going toward alternative power system, " green " technology and autonomous systems. The Cala could be freshened up, not that it really needs to be, and packaged with either a V-6 hybrid system or battery power system. It could be a sort of pocket rocket exotic. This could be another segment Lamborghini could tap into.

Imagine the Cala slotting in at a $70-80k pricepoint with a 2.5l V-6 with a small electric motor...putting out around 400hp with a 0-60 of maybe 3-4 seconds, maybe a 6 speed manual option and enough electronics to maximize handling with a top speed of 140 - 150mph. A target of maybe 10k units a year with a three or four year production run. Who's on board!!??

That sounds a lot like a beefier Alfa Romeo 4C. I think a car like that would devalue the brand tbh. I hope Lamborghini never does something like that.