waterpump leaking

suzukidave

well my ungrateful diablo's waterpump is leaking out of the weep hole. Is there anyone out there that has had any luck rebuilding these things. The new one is a thousand bucks and I just seem to find that offensive for a water pump. My machinist buddy said he could make one out of billet for less money, which I will do before I drop a g on it. any suggestions would be appreciated

thanks

dave

:axe: :axe: :axe: :vom: :roll: :x

Hey dave , i had to replace mine last year. He said it was one of the "rarest" parts to go bad on a lambo. He said it almost unheard of and that they usualy last forever. It was around $780 ? I have heard of some being rebuilt but i dont know who can do it. I did keep my old one just in case though. If your guy is quoting you over a grand let me know because my guy it for the mid $700's and i will be glad to get you in touch with him.

Dick Jordan - Ocean Springs, MS. AKA Euro Waterpumps. Suppose to be best in the buisness and can rebuild anything. Don't know if impacted by recent hurricane.

(228) 872-0855

How bad is it leaking ?

Car was/is still driveable.

I'm not advocating NOT fixing it.

Just saying you may have some time to find a fix.

Isn't the water pump drive internal ? And all it is is a seal that goes bad ?

(if so, maybe you can buy just the seal ???)

Not 100% sure here. Just trying to help.

The pump is just weeping, but we all know where that is leading--total failure. L diablo, thanks for that I will call him. Lamborghinikid- let me know who your guy is, I need some better deals

dave

I don't know whats next, I kinda figure it will either fall apart like the dodge at the end of the blues brothers or it will be abducted by aliens.

dave :mrgreen:

I don't know whats next, I kinda figure it will either fall apart like the dodge at the end of the blues brothers or it will be abducted by aliens.

dave :mrgreen:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I had my 91 waterpump rebuit by Dick Jordan Co. He was quick, I would use him again. He told me the he modifies the pump so any local rebuilder can rebuild it in the future, cool.

• 3 years later...
Dick Jordan - Ocean Springs, MS. AKA Euro Waterpumps. Suppose to be best in the buisness and can rebuild anything. Don't know if impacted by recent hurricane.

(228) 872-0855

Just called Dick. He sounds like a very nice guy. He said $119 and turn around 1- 4 days! That's awesome! Has anyone used him? Just a little shy sending to someone I don't know. I hope to get my pump back.

Hi there everyone, I'm the new kid on the block (jeff) as far as this form goes. This water pump thing is not all that unusual and will get worse as time goes on. The bad part is that seal in the rear (inside) will, sooner or later, go bad and let coolant into the engines oil sump (oil pan). Anti-freeze, oil, pressure and heat will make the coolant turn into an (almost) acid for better terms. I've seen it take out crankshaft bearing, but that was an extreeeem case of not a care about anything from the customer. By the time it's leaking out the weep hole, damage has occured with the main shafts bearing, maybe the main shaft is now rusted and it's possible the water pump housing is now pitted. All of this is not as bad as it sounds though, all can be repaired. How to make sure this does not happen to your Lamborghini? Just like Coors beer, it's all in the water. Not the little kid up stream peeing, I'm talking really pure water. The purest water is what is called Di water. Di water is what is used to wash aircraft, triple distilled and filtered beyond belief. It's the salts and other chemicals that attack the inside of the cooling system. By the way, Di water when washing doesn't leave spots on the paint.

Hey Jeff. Welcome aboard. I'm sure you don't remember me, but we once worked together at Allied-Signal (now Honeywell) about 20 yrs ago. I rotated through your department as a summer intern. I remember you because you told me you were going to quit to go work on Lambos. At the time, I had only ever seen one CT and one Espada in town, so that just seemed incredible. You might as well have said you were going on tour with Guns & Roses. :icon_mrgreen: I think I still have your business card from back then. I still need to make it out to your shop sometime.

Udo

Thanks to all with the kind words and Udo, holy #%*#, that was a billion years ago, how did you remember all this, did I insult you real bad back then? If I did I'm sorry, if not give me a chance to see if I can!

To everyone else, I've done my time in hell repairing Lamborghinis, mainly the older stuff up to the really new Lamborghinis, simply because they are still covered by the dealers. Most of you are doing your time in hell owning a Lamborghini. Lets face it, Lamborghinis are like kept women, they usually don't work but once in a great while, but man ooooh man, when they work well it'll but a smile on ones face that'll last a long while! I did a couple of years working for Lamborghini making the 5 liter 2 valve Countach US legal and started work on the Jalpa. That's when Chrysler got involved in the Italian connection. I was suppose to go with them to work on Lamborghinis for Chrysler, but as they say that was that. Company was too big and I got lost in the goings on.

I will watch this form and when I see someone with a tech problem that I think I can help with, I'll be glad to offer information the bet I can. Please remember guys, I'm not that smart and don't have the answers to everything. I think it's safe to say that maybe I've made more mistakes than most on trying to figure out what makes these Lamborghinis tick, but at the same time I can tell you that anyone who doesn't think these machines are way ahead of just about all doesn't know JACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And, anyone who doesn't think Chrysler did Lamborghini any good, they don't know JACK. Up untill now, all V-12 and V-10 engine designs are the Chrysler design or influence. Before 1991, look at all intake manifolds made in Europe. Diadlo come along and even Ferrari now has long manifolds with big air boxes!

I work a few years with the Lamborghini F1 team working with Mauro Forghiere who is an icon and did do much on the engine design. The 5.7 liter Diablo engine has alot of that design and if anyone thinks not, why in the love of Lamborghini does this thing make so much un-godly power then I ask? Don't look at just the horsepower numbers, you have to look at the best number of all here and that is torque! The torque number is long and high, can't ask for much more. Well, I'll get off my soap box now, but I really do think Lamborghini is way ahead of everybody, please God, don't let Audi screw it up!

Good to have you on board, Jeff.

I came out to your shop many years ago (probably around 14 years ago) with a guy named John Martocia.

He had a Countach and a Diablo back then.

I am on the "west side" as I believe you are. I'll have to drop by again

some time!

I can tell you that anyone who doesn't think these machines are way ahead of just about all doesn't know JACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And, anyone who doesn't think Chrysler did Lamborghini any good, they don't know JACK. Up untill now, all V-12 and V-10 engine designs are the Chrysler design or influence. Before 1991, look at all intake manifolds made in Europe. Diadlo come along and even Ferrari now has long manifolds with big air boxes!

I work a few years with the Lamborghini F1 team working with Mauro Forghiere who is an icon and did do much on the engine design. The 5.7 liter Diablo engine has alot of that design and if anyone thinks not, why in the love of Lamborghini does this thing make so much un-godly power then I ask? Don't look at just the horsepower numbers, you have to look at the best number of all here and that is torque! The torque number is long and high, can't ask for much more. Well, I'll get off my soap box now, but I really do think Lamborghini is way ahead of everybody, please God, don't let Audi screw it up!

fjbltd, sounds like you've had a very interesting career!

I'd say that style of manifold has more to do with the introduction of fuel injection than anything else, it is the most efficient design for that application, that is high performance road car.

Yep, very nice torque curves on these engines. It comes down to a lot of design parameters. Lambo have designed and built a lot of V12 engines in their time ranging from road cars, F1 and Class1 Offshore, so i guess they know how to get things right.

Did you have much to do with the 8.2 liter V12's??

Hi there everyone, I'm the new kid on the block (jeff) as far as this form goes. This water pump thing is not all that unusual and will get worse as time goes on. The bad part is that seal in the rear (inside) will, sooner or later, go bad and let coolant into the engines oil sump (oil pan). Anti-freeze, oil, pressure and heat will make the coolant turn into an (almost) acid for better terms. I've seen it take out crankshaft bearing, but that was an extreeeem case of not a care about anything from the customer. By the time it's leaking out the weep hole, damage has occured with the main shafts bearing, maybe the main shaft is now rusted and it's possible the water pump housing is now pitted. All of this is not as bad as it sounds though, all can be repaired. How to make sure this does not happen to your Lamborghini? Just like Coors beer, it's all in the water. Not the little kid up stream peeing, I'm talking really pure water. The purest water is what is called Di water. Di water is what is used to wash aircraft, triple distilled and filtered beyond belief. It's the salts and other chemicals that attack the inside of the cooling system. By the way, Di water when washing doesn't leave spots on the paint.

A Countach and early V12 can leak coolent into oil sump. But The later V12 the water pump is belt driven and can not leak into the oil sump. It can leak all the coolent out the weep hole and never will get into oil sump. Yes when they start leaking out the weep hole it will someday start to piss out weep hole and the coolent in the berring housing for the pump can cause damage. Lambo had rebuld kits for water pumps but had issues with them always sealing so know they just have a full new pump. GT motor cars still offers rebuild kits for early V12 and I think for later ones also.