Mid 90's Diablo vs excellent 25th Anv Countach

ostoneman

Im hoping someone can give me an honest opinion here. I currently own a 25th Anv Countach, which is genuinely one of the best around. i have maintained it to the max, although to be honest, apart from an ecu NOTHING has ever gone wrong! I drive it very hard on a regular basis, and although it has only done 6000 miles, they are virtually all by me and flat out. The car has been dynoed at close to 500bhp, and it gives a Gallardo a hard time until about 130- thereafter the aerodynamics take over unfortunately. Lamborghini uk tell me its the best countach they've driven.....but im thinking of selling it. How would a mid 90's Diablo compare, without stating the obvious.....better brakes....more modern etc... Id really appreciate some opinions,

Thanks Qvpower- point noted! I went to test drive a '94 Diablo about an hour ago. I was hugely dissapointed! For starters there is this montrous block for a dashboard, as big as a tv set which stops you seeing out properly, not to mention hideous to look at- what were they thinking??? Very not Lambo. The clutch pedal was much harder than my car, and a lot less solid. The car rattled and bumbed on all but the smoothest surfaces. The gear gate looks cheap and under designed. On putting the power down it didn't howl like the 25th? If this is typical of the diablo im shocked, I was expecting a whole lot more. The whole driving experience was genuinely a lot less in your face than my car- and up to 100 it didn't feel nearly as fast. My first impressions are definately (I hate to say it) but it's no replacement for a good Countach. Please tell me I was just unlucky!! Maybe I should look at a later model- an SE 30 possibly??

DONT SELL IT. you will regret it. just buy another diablo and keep also the ct....

I love it. A true Lambo owner :)

Good to see someone with so much heart for these beautiful cars.

Hi Romandad, yes apparently it is, but when adjusting something that big- where do you put it?? Also, just take a look at it....it's ugly as hell, it's lambo sacrilege!!

The early interiors were awful. But over all the Diablo is leaps and bounds above a Countach. You may have just found yourself a bad one. I'm quite sure if you jumped into an average Countach you would be equaly disapointed in it, as much as you were with the Diablo.

Your Countach is a VERY rare sight, to be in such wonderful condition, and by your discription, you should keep that car for as long as you can. It is so rare to find a CT in the condition yours is in and I have seen some so called "mint" examples and they drive terriable!! Sounds like you got a real jem of a car..don't let it go!

Here is a pic.

Hey ostoneman: Here is a pic of my 1990 Candy Apple Red countach I just purchased with 2400 one owner miles and it great condition. Looks like we have sisters. I also have a 99 Diablo SV. Lambo changed the interior of the Diablo in 99 and it is much better than the old. Get a pic of the new and you will see what I mean. Also the Diablo was improved in many ways starting in 98 but 98 had the old interior. Check out a 99 and you will be surprised at how nice it is but, do not sell the Countach to do it.

Countach Anniversary is a special car as you must know. BTW, can you PM me your email. I would like to trade information on the Countach with you as I am just getting mine and know little about it. Thanks!

As the owner of 25th CT and 6.0 Diablo, I echo those gentlemen's statements" Keep your anniversary and look for 99 or later diablo even this means that you need to save up more money and wait for your turn"

You can't possibly sell that car, not with how much you enjoy it. No way. :)

In regards to the comments on the Diablo, all of them make sense. The interiors of those early cars are definitely not their strongpoints. They get progressively better as the years pass, with the zenith coming in the 6.0 where the flowing leather dash combined with carbon fiber inlays are gorgeous.

That said, despite what it felt like, a 94 Diablo is dramatically faster than a 25th CT. You must have driven a bad one, perhaps the clutch was shot as I've never heard that a 94' Diablo's clutch is harder than any CT's, not even the plush 25th. :)

Drive another one. In fact, you sound like you'd be MUCH better off with an SV, as the interiors are nice, they're RWD cars, and they are fast as hell. They're more spiritual desendants of the CT than any of the other Diablos, with the exception of the SE30 perhaps, but if you didn't like the 94 VT's interior, you sure as hell won't like the SE30's. :mrgreen:

Drive an SV. I'd bet money that you'll like it a ton more.

Ok guys, wow, hugely appreciating all of this!! Ok, Ive driven another one....and someone must be frowning on me because Im still far from convinced?? Im beginning to doubt the performance difference in the 0-130ish bracket, which seems logical. A good ct can be in the high 400's, like the early to mid diablos, but weighs some 200kg less? The diablo feels heavy by comparison on smaller roads, not nimble or flighty. Never going to get used to that interior either. Im off to try an SE 30 tomorrow....heres hoping- expecting some serious performance. Comments on the 6.0 taken on board...wow what a machine- and that interior....I could live with that!!! Gorgeous.

Alos, points taken on keeping the ct and buying a diablo in addition...unfortunately thats just not an option right now! Also good news, i've just seen rather a special 94 diablo for sale...not in this country though, but boy what a looker. Im a bit worried about posting it though in case someone goes and buys it!!! Will keep you up to date!

DON'T SELL IT!! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD... unless you want to wait a few years till I have enough money to buy it.. that's a god incentive he he... :supz:

Get a SV

I had a early 2wd and sold it to get a SV... The difference betwwen the 2 is night and day... The SV is alot quicker the brakes work and you can see.. Everything is better... I have just got a 88.5 Countach and this is no comparison to drive like the sv. But the Countach will make you smile more...

My 2 cents. I'm a CT lover. The Diablo is a better car overall. Power handling etc,etc. Depending on your budget, I'd look for a newer model, MY98 or 99 with the newer dash. The cars drive great. BUT, I would not get rid of that Countach, you'll regret it.

Drive a 6.0 and all of your Diablo worries will go right out the window. It is not a car but a thoroughbred machine! My 6.0 is so much more powerful than my CT it is not even comparable. It is as smooth as silk, the clutch feels perfect, the ride is very smooth and the interior is right out of NASA. Here is an interior shot of mine to make you feel better about the interior of the early Diablo. Get the 6.0 and you will forget all about the 25th as soon as you hit the road. With all of that said, if you can keep the 25th I would as that one looks and sounds to be what any lambo guy is looking for.

6.0 Interior

lamborghini0330ok.jpg

Ostoneman:

As the owner of Anniversary and 6.0, I would echo lambokid 's comments:

1. Save some money, be patient, wait for the right 6.0 to become available.

2. Keep your CT if possible unless you have serious sotrage problem, etc. If you keep your CT long enough and good enough, that car eventually will worth more money than most mid 90' diablos.

The first Diablo you drove is not a 94, in 94 they changed the dash to the low style. A good running Diablo will destroy any Countach, no matter how good it is.