pronunciation

ADRNLYZ

one of my pet peeves is hearing people who should know better (i.e. car dealers, owners, etc) pronounce the gallardo the way it is spelled. the employees at the dealership where i purchased my spyder do it all the time. it makes them look like they don't have pride in what they're selling, and they sound foolish and ignorant. i have never said anything to them about it as i don't want to embarrass them in public. anyway....so i'm at the philadelphia car show last night, and this dealership has a roped off VIP section with all the exotics (Lambos, bentley, RR, AM etc) in it. i hear one of the salesmen there telling a guy that it's pronounced 'gallardo'. i tell another employee about how they always pronounce it incorrectly, and she tells me that the Lambo reps were at the dealership earlier in the day, and everyone of them pronounce it 'gallardo'. am i missing something?!?!

one of my pet peeves is hearing people who should know better (i.e. car dealers, owners, etc) pronounce the gallardo the way it is spelled. the employees at the dealership where i purchased my spyder do it all the time. it makes them look like they don't have pride in what they're selling, and they sound foolish and ignorant. i have never said anything to them about it as i don't want to embarrass them in public. anyway....so i'm at the philadelphia car show last night, and this dealership has a roped off VIP section with all the exotics (Lambos, bentley, RR, AM etc) in it. i hear one of the salesmen there telling a guy that it's pronounced 'gallardo'. i tell another employee about how they always pronounce it incorrectly, and she tells me that the Lambo reps were at the dealership earlier in the day, and everyone of them pronounce it 'gallardo'. am i missing something?!?!

Well, I guess we should take a stab at the proper pronunciation; what I believe it is (and this came from an article I read when the car was first released):

Gallardo pronounced: Guy-are-do

Would someone please confirm this as correct or incorrect, and if this is incorrect please give me the correct pronunciation.

Thanks in advance

Se parlate italiano, lo pronunciate GUY YAR DO! Personally, I am getting tired of giving italian lessons..... Gallardo works for me. So does G.

Gallardo rolls off the tongue easier.. to be honest I like it better. But if the bosses say Gay-are-do then it's that. Akon and fabolous both mispronounce this in their songs.

Ga-ya-rdo is the proper way to pronounce it. thats the way they do in italy. and since the name is spanish( bull trainer family ) in spain they also pronounce the name ga-yar-do

Ga Yar Do is definitely the way to go. Not only does it give the name an exquisite European sound to it but it's how they pronounce it in Top Gear! J/K but I still get people questioning me what I just said when I say Ga Yar Do and tell me that I meant Ga lardo :sigh: :eusa_wall: Either way works for me though, we're still talking about the same car at the end are we not?

Deveus

Ga-ya-rdo is the proper way to pronounce it. thats the way they do in italy. and since the name is spanish( bull trainer family ) in spain they also pronounce the name ga-yar-do

I use guy ar do myself, but your pronunciation is the correct one.

The names seem to be getting harder to pronounce as time passes too, they're hinting that they'll bust out the "Lagartijo" name for a future model, which apparantly is the name of the bullfighter who spared the bull named Murcielago after a brutal match.

The names seem to be getting harder to pronounce as time passes too, they're hinting that they'll bust out the "Lagartijo" name for a future model, which apparantly is the name of the bullfighter who spared the bull named Murcielago after a brutal match.

Haha wow nice research done there. Though that name seems just as hard to read as it is to say <La - Gar - Tee - Ho> That is my attempt at it but in any case that car in my mind seems over done to me. Looks like Lambo meets Dodge Magnum from this angle :eusa_naughty:

lamborghini_lagartijo.jpg

Deveus

Hi everybody:

Because I'm spaniard and the name Gallardo (spanish name) was taken (as usual by Mr. F. Lamborghini) from famous spanish bulls here goes my aportation. All of you remember Janice Joplin ? the famous singer ? Well then the right pronunciation of Gallardo is GA (with A like MUM ) GALLAR (with LLA like JA of Janice) GALLARDO (with DO of DONUT)

Regards, :eusa_dance:

Hi everybody:

Because I'm spaniard and the name Gallardo (spanish name) was taken (as usual by Mr. Tonino Lamborghini) from famous spanish bulls here goes my aportation. All of you remember Janice Joplin ? the famous singer ? Well then the right pronunciation of Gallardo is GA (with A like MUM ) GALLAR (with LLA like JA of Janice) GALLARDO (with DO of DONUT)

Regards, :eusa_dance:

I am not sure I understand your explanation. I thought LL in Spanish was Y. Therefore, Gayardoe.

Ga-lardo just doesnt sound right. So,if its Ga-lardo, I will still pronounce it Gayardoe.

The correct pronunciation of the word is actually not Italian for those that mentioned Italian; the meaning of the word that Lamborghini uses is the Spanish version where it's pronounced guy-yar-do, Italians actually would pronounce it gallardo if it were an Italian word.

the name Gallardo (spanish name) was taken (as usual by Mr. Tonino Lamborghini) from famous spanish bulls

The answer is as simple as Ferrucchio Lamborghini was a enthusiastic fan of spanish bull fighting (Olé, olé) which is a tradition hated by mostly of people here. All the Lamborghini names are in relation with famous bulls sacrified as an "spectacle". The name Miura is from a well known bull ranch in Spain providing the biggest and more furious and famous bulls ever.

Names as Urraco, Espada, Diablo etc........are taken from this "bull parade". :(

I am not sure I understand your explanation. I thought LL in Spanish was Y. Therefore, Gayardoe.

Ga-lardo just doesnt sound right. So,if its Ga-lardo, I will still pronounce it Gayardoe.

Yes, basically but I think that your Y sounds softer than our LL. This is the reason to compare our LL as your J in the name Janice.

• 2 years later...

I think we should just pronounce it like Borat would: "the-sexy-kar"

Or, why try to pronounce it in a different language. In ENGLISH, it should be pronounced by english rules: Ga-lar-do. Enough of this Spanish version. The car is Italian, and it is Ga-lar-do in Italian pronounciation also. It is also easier to pronounce this way, and does not confuse anyone.