Cocaine Cowboys...

matthend

Watched the dvd last night... very interesting. I remember a pre crash thread about this that albofaz started on this. Curious how many south floridian members were around during this time and their take on the film and that period of time in general. The amount of $$$ that poured into the economy was mind blowing!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched that the other night, good documentary. What impressed me was the level of sophistication of some of the distribution channels, especially where they would tow cars with drugs in the trunk.

yeah, they were SO much more organized than the columbians. In the deleted scenes they also had "crash cars" and "burn boats" just in case one of the tow trucks/boats was attracting LEO attention. The drivers of the cars had unopened fifths that they were to smash then drive into the wall and the boats they would burn and send out distress calls saying there were kids in the water... Perfect diversionary tactics, but they never had to use either of them.

It was an eye-opening documentary. The amount of money they made was mind blowing. And Mickey (I think...redhair anyways) that was able to get away AND stay out of the cops' path for 6 YEARS!!! Tremendous effort!!! :icon_mrgreen:

-Olivier

It's a great documentary, well worth picking up!

I lived through all that down here, but I was just a kid during that time.

When I posted regarding this movie pre crash, it got pretty ugly...

There is a long story behind that movie, trust me what they talked about was nothing compared to what really went on...

Is this kind of stuffs still going in south Florida on a smaller scale, or those days are over?

So what really went on? I am fascinated by shit like this.

the most bizzare thing I've heard about was when someone put a kilo of blow (in a bag) inside a dog to sneak through. Another one that happened was someone finding a thrown out couch. Looked inside and found a LOT of coke inside.

So what really went on? I am fascinated by shit like this.

the most bizzare thing I've heard about was when someone put a kilo of blow (in a bag) inside a dog to sneak through. Another one that happened was someone finding a thrown out couch. Looked inside and found a LOT of coke inside.

I'm sure there's a lot more to the story, but do get the DVD. The way they did it was brilliant, and all so simple back in those days... http://www.amazon.com/Cocaine-Cowboys-Kell...s/dp/B000KLQUUS

enlighten us albofaz!!! I somewhat remember your original post... that is what made me decide to check the DVD out. Tell us the real deal! :icon_super:

enlighten us albofaz!!! I somewhat remember your original post... that is what made me decide to check the DVD out. Tell us the real deal! :icon_super:

I don't want to offend certain other members here.

I saw the documentary, one question was unanswered; what happended to all of the cash these guys buried and stashed away? They were looking well fed, healthy and relaxed......not what you would expect after serving 10 to 20 years in jail.

I heard that they mixed cocaine and carbon fiber in 6.0 front bumpers, and then drove it across the border. :icon_mrgreen:

I heard that they mixed cocaine and carbon fiber in 6.0 front bumpers, and then drove it across the border. :icon_mrgreen:

hmmm :eusa_think:

funny, I heard it was fiberglass :icon_mrgreen:

either way, we got gold mines in our bumpers :icon_super:

A good movie, without a question. There were some parts which I didn't understand well, though. That hispanic guy in a blue shirt, i don't know if he was filmed in a prison, but he spoke so fast and with an accent, I couldn't keep up with him. I need a subtitle, definitely. It also reminds me very much of GTA Vice City (haha), Blow and Scarface.

I saw the documentary, one question was unanswered; what happended to all of the cash these guys buried and stashed away? They were looking well fed, healthy and relaxed......not what you would expect after serving 10 to 20 years in jail.

Why do you think the U.S. went into Panama? Neither one of the two main characters did that much time, I think mickey and jon both did 7 years. Since their activities were pre 1986, their sentences were relatively light. Their case helped change the sentencing guidelines, if you did the same crime today, I would doubt you would ever seen the light of day again.

Well I sure don't want you to offend anyone, but since it seems you know way more about this topic than most if you could do a little write up and post it somewhere with a warning, I am sure there would be plenty of people who'd appreciate it.

Well I sure don't want you to offend anyone, but since it seems you know way more about this topic than most if you could do a little write up and post it somewhere with a warning, I am sure there would be plenty of people who'd appreciate it.

No. What they don't tell you in the movie though was that Mickey was a lead witness against Noriega and gave up a lot of information on Fidel & Raul Castro...

Make a thread for the thick skinned only, this must be told!!!!

• 11 months later...