Cocaine Cowboys...

matthend

I just watched the documentary, I was ''hoping'' the godmother would get shot but she didn't, unbelievable that she got away.

It's a good documentary but I was expecting more information from Mickey and Jon on violent acts, they must have seen/done something.

What is Mickey doing nowadays, has his own (boat) shop?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is Mickey doing nowadays, has his own (boat) shop?

im guessing mickey got caught? If he did im not sure how severe his punishment was but all i know is once you get convicted for any type of major crime in the united states its really hard to recover from it. once you have a major felony on your record its practically impossible to get any type of license to own any type of business

Yeah he ran from the cops for 6 years, arrested in 1992 and got out in 1999. But I guess he was given a new chance in some way.

And Max Mermelstein passed away last year.

Mermelstein died September 12, 2008 at the age 65 in Lexington, Kentucky from cancer of the bone, liver and lung. Since turning informant he had been living under an assumed name in the United States Federal Witness Protection Program.

Here is a video from 09 with Mickey. if Walberg and DiCaprio are doing the movie, if its anything like Departed it just went to the top of my anticipated movie list.

Then there is also this book - seems like it's getting good reviews:

Miami Fools Paradise

Another question, are mickey and jon 'good' guys or not. The documentary makes them look like good guys who just do the transport but I can't imagine they just did that.

In the end it's scum right?

I didn't realize they were doing a studio film. They have great actors on board so the film could be amazing. Anyone have any idea who's directing?

according to wiki:

An HBO television series inspired by Cocaine Cowboys is in the works, with Jerry Bruckheimer, Michael Bay, Alfred Spellman and Billy Corben serving as executive producers. It will chronicle the early days of cocaine trafficking in Miami, and is being produced by Warner Bros. Television, where Jerry Bruckheimer TV is based.

Cocaine Cowboys was also the name of a 1979 movie starring Jack Palance and featuring Andy Warhol.

bruckheimer and a movie about coke? wow

I didn't realize they were doing a studio film. They have great actors on board so the film could be amazing. Anyone have any idea who's directing?

I found it on comingsoon.net; Peter Berg (Hancock, The Kingdom) is directing the film.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

So I watched this some months ago, but had been meaning to ask, why would that Miguel guy actually go ahead with the job of trying to stab the guy in the airport? I mean did he actually really think that he could just walk in there and stab someone like that, and then get away? From what the documentary said, he must not have been too fast in escaping, as the police came running to the scene, then went in his direction when people pointed, and quickly caught up and tackled him.

So I watched this some months ago, but had been meaning to ask, why would that Miguel guy actually go ahead with the job of trying to stab the guy in the airport? I mean did he actually really think that he could just walk in there and stab someone like that, and then get away? From what the documentary said, he must not have been too fast in escaping, as the police came running to the scene, then went in his direction when people pointed, and quickly caught up and tackled him.

Obviously he thought he could get away with it. Also, in other news...

tumblr_mm2ocbeKPV1qgo9t7o1_500.jpg

Seven years later, time hasn't been too kind to Rivi...

tumblr_mo1l281Bie1qgo9t7o1_500.jpg

Obviously he thought he could get away with it. Also, in other news...

I wasn't sure if maybe Miguel was of the type where he'd do anything, not caring really whether he ended up in prison or not, or if he really thought he could get away with it. I was wondering this because I saw a documentary about criminals these days, and some of the older prisoners were saying about how so many young guys today end up pretty much spending their lives in prison because they do such terrible things. It's like they don't even take into account the repercussions for what they do, they just do it.

Rivi sure has aged a lot from the documentary!

Here we go again!

Drug money could be pushing up real estate

Criminal forfeiture cases describe choice properties feds say were bought with drug money

September 03, 2013 10:37AM

The proceeds from illicit drug sales could be funneling through South Florida’s bustling real estate market.

In recent criminal forfeiture cases, the feds have gone after properties they claim were bought with cocaine profits.

The feds say Alvaro Lopez Tardon, a Spanish citizen and alleged member of the Los Miami gang, pumped cash from Colombian cocaine sales to Europe into 14 condos during the last real estate boom, including the penthouse at the Continuum in South Beach, the South Florida Business Journal reported.

In Miami-Dade County, where as much as 90 percent of sales are to foreign buyers, limited-liability companies formed with drug money make bank transfers. Many foreign banks employ less scrutiny than U.S. banks, according to the Journal.

Billy Corben, a filmmaker and the director of the 2006 documentary “Cocaine Cowboys,” drew comparisons between the 1970s and 1980s drug trafficking industry in Miami and today.

“We’ve always subsisted in this town with the next hustle,” Corben told WLRN. “We don’t want to know where the money’s coming from.” [WLRN] – Emily Schmall

http://therealdeal.com/miami/blog/2013/09/...up-real-estate/

• 1 year later...

So I started reading the book "Fool's Paradise: Players, Poseurs, and the Culture of Excess in South Beach " recommended in this thread. It had been VERY good so far - I'm on chapter 3 or so and it talks about how Miami beach came to be, the story of Fisher (guy who built it) is awesome - guy met his first wife when he was 35, she was 15, and she saw him in the air in a car tied to a baloon because he was promoting his auto dealership. When he bought miami beach land it was so undeveloped, that the horseflies were so bad the mules brought there would go insane and jump in the water and drown. Other interesting tidbit is he bought the Fisher island from a black businessman who bought that island to develop hotels for blacks there, because blacks couldn't spend a night in miami beach until 1963...even celebs had to gtfo after their performances at fountainblue. Highly recommended to learn the history of this crazy place!

http://www.amazon.com/Fools-Paradise-Playe...mp;sr=&qid=

• 2 years later...

wow, last one caught. surprised they were not mentioned in the documentaries, maybe people were scared for their lives

• 3 weeks later...
I was just showing a house the other day next to Love Lock Park that he built. Back to jail at 71yrs old, pretty fcuking stupid.

I've known Mickey for decades, this doesn't seem like him. He didn't need the $.