SLR with mods Dyno!

Allan-Herbie

ok, thanks. but dont superchargers deliver power more smoothly and fluently?

Yes, usually. Some types of superchargers (like a centrifugal (sp?) for example) offer a similar powerband as a turbo. A roots-type of blower attached to an engine will somehow mimic the same powerband, but with a feel that the engine has a bigger displacement.

However, properly sized turbos (read: usually pretty small) can be as efficient and even more than their supercharged counterparts. Case in point, the switch from SC to Turbo for the new new Mini. A small and properly sized turbo will deliver the same or more power than the supercharger, have none of the parasitic loss and will broaden the powerband. It will run out of steam in the higher parts of the rev range though, usually over 5K for a standard small turbo engine (1.8T, WRX 2.0L engines, etc). The bigger the turbo, the more lag, the more power, the later is spools and delivers that power in the rev range. The syptoms of a large turbos are usually the freight-train-hit-the-back-of-the-car feel, wheels breaking loose in third gear at 60 mph, LAG, late power delivery (powerband shifted to the right), huge HP and TQ numbers, cool noises and winning 80-180 highway roll-ons. :icon_mrgreen:

Because the supercharger delivers most of the power constantly through the rev range (again, referring to the bigger-displacement feel), the behavior of the car is much more predictable, making it more drivable. That can also be debated, as a car with 700 rwtq at 2500 rpm (big block, supercharged V-ette or Viper) can be a bitch to drive.

This is where, IMO and from what I can understand, the SLR shines. The traction control systems, good suspension/tire combo, SCed engine and AUTO tranny really pay off in terms acceleration while maintaining civil power delivery and control.

Aram, am I close to the truth for the SLR?

-Olivier

Aram, am I close to the truth for the SLR?

-Olivier

How am i supposed to know? I have hardly driven it since last week since the weather has been so bad

How am i supposed to know? I have hardly driven it since last week since the weather has been so bad

Too bad. Let us know when the break-in is complete and the weather clears up a little. :)

Any news on the track day?

-Olivier

Yup and i took him out in my car and he believes the 722 stock might take the GT. His GT is almost undrivable

I need to get into the habit of warming the tires (aka spinning the shit out of them) before I do any serious runs in 1st & 2nd gear. Now that I have had a few months of summer driving in the car last year, I have figured out how to deal with the extra power, and I'm looking forward to getting it back on the road this year.

Aram's car seems very fast, based on the ride he gave me. He was only able to go to about 4500rpm, but you could feel the torque. Those dyno numbers do seem low, in comparison to my seat-of-the-pants dyno in Aram's car.

My GT has 639 rwhp and 601 rwtq. That was only after 2 dyno runs with a warm car. Had we played with it a little more and cooled the engine, I'm sure we could have got even better results. But when I saw those numbers, I was smiling from ear to ear, and just wanted to get out and drive it!

• 4 years later...