Thinking of buying a collector car in the 20 - 25K - range

MANG

Looking for opinions from the members here who know cars. What car do you think will appreciate nicely and still bring loads of pleasure driving while she goes up in value?

I am leaning toward a Porsche 930 from late 70's - 80's, or an Alfa Guilietta/Guilia spyder from late 50's - 60's

any others anyone else recommends for consideration? Thanks in advance... :icon_super:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While it is probably more than you currently want to budget, the factory slantnose 89 Porsche Turbo with the 5spd is a sure thing.

While it is probably more than you currently want to budget, the factory slantnose 89 Porsche Turbo with the 5spd is a sure thing.

There's no way to get a g50 930 for 20 to 25k, I don't think you'll get anything other than a clapped out 930 for that price. At that price range I'd look for a pre '74 911.

Are there any 356's in that price range anymore?

An 88 BMW M3 .If you lived in Europe i would say the M3 EVO 3.They are a lot of fun to drive and good examples are hard to find now.They are future collectors for sure

There's no way to get a g50 930 for 20 to 25k, I don't think you'll get anything other than a clapped out 930 for that price. At that price range I'd look for a pre '74 911.

Are there any 356's in that price range anymore?

I feel like the early 911's have already 'moved' in price. They were under 10K all over the place a few short years ago and now well over 20K for nice ones. Do you still feel like they have a lot of upside? 930's seem undervalued to me in the 20K range for sure. They are bonafide super cars (race cars!) that I think will move up nicely (they currently are) and still have room to go. Just my thoughts on P-cars....

What do you think of the early Alfa's?

Older Maseratis are going up in value. Check out the Bora, Indy, Merak. Nice examples are hard to come by. TheGhibli was so dirt cheap a couple of years ago and now they are in the 350GT price range.

As mentioned, a Esprit S1, and the S2 is great cars. If you`re not scared of being called Ffag, the 308 GTB fiberglass-cars are in that pricerange, and I will bet they are soon to start $-climbing. Same goes for the Pantera Pre-L versions.

No question about it, a 1965 Buick Riviera GS. You need some American Muscle :icon_super: . Some have already appreciated, but I believe it is a unknown collectors car.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1965-Rivier...1QQcmdZViewItem

I don't like the rims on this one, but it is still a nice example.

sweet ride!!! anyone have any idea how much it would cost to import something like that into Europe?

Older Maseratis are going up in value. Check out the Bora, Indy, Merak. Nice examples are hard to come by. TheGhibli was so dirt cheap a couple of years ago and now they are in the 350GT price range.

Merak and Indy are shit cars.Bora is nice but not in 25k range and neither is Ghibli

Merak and Indy are shit cars.Bora is nice but not in 25k range and neither is Ghibli

:iamwithstupid: Definitely with you on that one. I love Mistral Spyders the most but way too expensive anymore. Nice Maserati's are too much and crap Maserati's are just crap!

I love the variety of suggestions. I like the look of Alfa boattail spyders a lot am leaning toward purcashing one for my own tastes first and I trust they will go up - just my thinking today! Keep the ideas coming. I have at one time looked at nearly every suggestion here except the Buick Riviera - they are cool for sure!

I don't know if I would call this a collector car, but a nice clean low-mile Porsche 928. I have always had a soft-spot for the 928's.

Alfa Spider's are also a nice option in this range.

I don't know if I would call this a collector car, but a nice clean low-mile Porsche 928. I have always had a soft-spot for the 928's.

Alfa Spider's are also a nice option in this range.

GTS :icon_super: .

Supra MKIV

Not quite yet.

Detomaso Pantera.

Buick Grand National.

Both could be bought for under 25k.

Also, the BMW E28 M5's might take a while longer to reach collector status but there are incredibly few in good condition.

Also, the BMW E28 M5's might take a while longer to reach collector status but there are incredibly few in good condition.

That is awsome car.When i sold mine it had 120000miles on the odometer and still running strong.Unfortunately everything was rusting away

Do you want a nice cruiser ? It is no performance car. It is a fun car to drive around with the top down.

How about an iron block 450SL ? They are cheap. You simply pay for maintainance. Best of all, it is a real Mercedes, that is built like a Panther tank. Forget about an engine rebuild, you do not even have to pull the heads, until you reach 250-350K miles. You can get 500,000 miles on the iron block engine. The 280SL will also run forever. Avoid the 1981 380SL.

If you are willing to find a sporty Euro car outside of the US, you may want to look at a 350SL or 280SL with a manual box.

The cars are cheap and parts are plenty. Keep the car for five to ten years, and you will make a small profit. The ownership experience will be free.

Do they have good locks?? !!!!!

The best, especially when you are staring at your keys in the ignition through the driver's window. :icon_mrgreen:

In all seriousness, the one I had when I was 18 had no problems with the locks. Another car I should have kept, but didnt.

These appear fun

You will not see one everyday. Alfa Montreal

l_3.jpg