Amex Centurion Black Card

Allan-Herbie

I had the chance to apply for the centurion card, but unfortunate things happened to my family and was not able to finish the process... I have always wanted the card since I heard about it back in 99... and at the age of 22 I had the chance to have it, but like I said some things went wrong. My question is how many of you use your points and how old where you when you got your card?

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the chance to apply for the centurion card, but unfortunate things happened to my family and was not able to finish the process... I have always wanted the card since I heard about it back in 99... and at the age of 22 I had the chance to have it, but like I said some things went wrong. My question is how many of you use your points and how old where you when you got your card?

How do you apply for it? I thought it was invite only...

Clear $250K in a 12 month period and meet the credit rating and "other" criteria (don't know what they are).

Clear $250K in a 12 month period and meet the credit rating and "other" criteria (don't know what they are).
Yes, if you do that, and also have prior good standing credit with them for a sufficient period, and they will invite you.

Another example of the black card. Tonight, we wanted to go to Mastros Ocean Club, Scottsdale is packed we wanted a 7:30 resv. My wife called said they had a 6pm and 930pm. She called Centurion, boom we got our 7:30. Not only that, but what they did, is they added an extra table in a section that never normally has a table. Of course I didnt really like that but we ended up staying at the table and it actually worked out great. The manager also gave us his direct number and said whenever we need any table call him direct.

HAHAHA!!!! That's hilarious!

I assume that you cannot upgrade to 1st Class when the flight is full, correct? Or, if you get there ahead of time, do they bump people making it as if you had 1st Class reservations all along?

Pittsburgh used to be the Eastern hub for U.S. Air (now it's Charlotte or Atlanta I think), but it's still the mair airline so we always use it domestically, especially to Vegas. This will be great!

I know the black Amex makes you platinum on Us Air, which bumps you to 1st class 4 days before your flight, gold gets you 3 days before your flight. We have never not had a time when we didnt get first class on a domestic flight.

The best perk that the black amex used to have was it USED to make you platinum with Starwood, which is a BIG deal. With a platinum Starwood card they bump you to the BEST room in the house each and everytime. Now you are just gold which is not too big of a deal.

There are two ways to attain the centurion card...

A - Be invited by AMX

B - If not invited apply for the card it you meet the criteria.... spend 250K and pay it off in a 12 month period and hold good standing credit with AMX

The two main things they look at when you apply for the card or they ask you to join is exactly what you stated... Clear the 250K mark and pay it off in 12 months and have good credit standing with them also

Yes, if you do that, and also have prior good standing credit with them for a sufficient period, and they will invite you.

Another example of the black card. Tonight, we wanted to go to Mastros Ocean Club, Scottsdale is packed we wanted a 7:30 resv. My wife called said they had a 6pm and 930pm. She called Centurion, boom we got our 7:30. Not only that, but what they did, is they added an extra table in a section that never normally has a table. Of course I didnt really like that but we ended up staying at the table and it actually worked out great. The manager also gave us his direct number and said whenever we need any table call him direct.

That is awesome.... I dont care what anyone says about the card.. I truly believe you do have more perks with this card and if you dont think so then at least when paying at a business dinner it shows that you are succesfull and have "MADE IT"

:icon_super: That's sweet!

I know the black Amex makes you platinum on Us Air, which bumps you to 1st class 4 days before your flight, gold gets you 3 days before your flight. We have never not had a time when we didnt get first class on a domestic flight.

VERY good to know! That's too bad about the Starwood thing.

most of us has had any amex for at least a year if you want a black one right away. pay your taxes with it or spend 300k in one month and then pay it off and call them and ask for it. they will approve you. i did it

most of us has had any amex for at least a year if you want a black one right away. pay your taxes with it or spend 300k in one month and then pay it off and call them and ask for it. they will approve you. i did it

Yeah, I had had an Amex since '99.

What is crazy, and the main reason most car dealers won't take the card, is the fact that you can buy a car, drive it for 90 days and do whatever you want to it and then take it back for a full refund as the car is just "another purcahse that is guaranteed to be 100% satisfactory for 90 days). A lot of people have done it which is why most dealers don't take it; although there are still some out there that do.

Yeah, I had had an Amex since '99.

What is crazy, and the main reason most car dealers won't take the card, is the fact that you can buy a car, drive it for 90 days and do whatever you want to it and then take it back for a full refund as the car is just "another purcahse that is guaranteed to be 100% satisfactory for 90 days). A lot of people have done it which is why most dealers don't take it; although there are still some out there that do.

Actually I think it is more the 3% fee.

Actually I think it is more the 3% fee.

That too; but IF they will take it, they usually just add the 3% on to the purchase price of the vehicle.

At my business Visa and Mastercard charge a 1.8 percent merchant fee. Amex charges 5 percent. We don't take amex for bike purchases because of this.

Dave

so another question, who has business ones and who has personal cards. i have a business one , but thought it would be cooler to have the personal one. i didnt get the huge box or crazy gift box the personal members recieved. i think that is the only difference in the cards. does anyone know?

At my business Visa and Mastercard charge a 1.8 percent merchant fee. Amex charges 5 percent. We don't take amex for bike purchases because of this.

Dave

I was close :)

Amex charges 5 percent.

You are getting charged waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much. You can do a lot better.

Doing very high volume, I was getting my Amex fees down BELOW 3%.

You are getting charged waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much. You can do a lot better.

Doing very high volume, I was getting my Amex fees down BELOW 3%.

Yea, Lambo Ohio charges 3%; even on Lambos! :)

so another question, who has business ones and who has personal cards. i have a business one , but thought it would be cooler to have the personal one. i didnt get the huge box or crazy gift box the personal members recieved. i think that is the only difference in the cards. does anyone know?
I have personal.

• 2 years later...