Amex Centurion Black Card

Allan-Herbie

I use the Plum too. I forget what my rate is, but I think I still have the higher cash back rate. Rather have cash than points.

As for hotel stays, you're crazy if you stay in a hotel these days. I use airbnb.com nowadays. This was the last place we stayed when in Berlin. $80/night in an awesome area. Hard to beat that.

http://www.airbnb.com/rooms/220938

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use the Plum too. I forget what my rate is, but I think I still have the higher cash back rate. Rather have cash than points.

As for hotel stays, you're crazy if you stay in a hotel these days. I use airbnb.com nowadays. This was the last place we stayed when in Berlin. $80/night in an awesome area. Hard to beat that.

http://www.airbnb.com/rooms/220938

nice area? The ad says the apartment is 2 blocks away from Neukölln which is something like a muslim ghetto in Berlin, very dangerous :)

nice area? The ad says the apartment is 2 blocks away from Neukölln which is something like a muslim ghetto in Berlin, very dangerous :)

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

I got a $500 gift card from Domenica Vaca yesterday..

Huh? The apartment was in Kreuzberg, right by the canal. Check out the map/street view. I've never seen a nicer Berlin neighborhood than this or one with more children, families, and dogs outside. I guess you could say it's a few blocks from Kreuzkoelln, but it's pretty far away from central Neukoelln. Gentrification has definitely made it's way to this area and I think this is probably one of the better, more happening places to live. Tons of great restaurants, bars, cafes, parks. There was an R8 parked on the street the other day... couldn't be that bad haha.

I can't speak for the far out suburbs or outskirts of Neukoelln, but I highly doubt it's dangerous. Europeans are just pussies I think :) If you think Neukoelln is dangerous, stay out of the US. If you've shiverin' in your boots upon seeing a Turkish person, I'd hate for you to see an American black person at the local mall ;)

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

I got a $500 gift card from Domenica Vaca yesterday..

It's worthless. The store is retarded expensive. I used mine and got a shitty $400 shirt that is no better than a $20 shirt. Wasn't even tailored.

Anyone estimate the $ value they get back for every $1m spent?

I've been using my Starwood AMEX for years now, it varies based on where you redeem points, but I estimated for every $1m spent you get about $19,000 to $33,000 in hotel stays.

Being at the point now where I want to die every time I stay in a hotel, I've been shifting my spend over to the Plum card which gives 1.5% back, or $15k per $1m (I believe the cards initially had 2 or 3% back.)

I love the spg AMEX and average around 8% back with the card which is why I use it over all other cards period. You might as well transfer your points over to airlines and use them there. Also, there are sites out there where you can sell your points but I'm not 100% sure if you can transfer spg points to anyone other than family.

Also as a note, the way I get 8% is by booking rooms in 5 night blocks (one of those nights is always free) and only in category 6 or higher hotels where the cost is $500 nigh or more.

I love the spg AMEX and average around 8% back with the card which is why I use it over all other cards period. You might as well transfer your points over to airlines and use them there. Also, there are sites out there where you can sell your points but I'm not 100% sure if you can transfer spg points to anyone other than family.

Also as a note, the way I get 8% is by booking rooms in 5 night blocks (one of those nights is always free) and only in category 6 or higher hotels where the cost is $500 nigh or more.

That's kinda like saying the trick to getting 8% back is to spend 50% more.

That's kinda like saying the trick to getting 8% back is to spend 50% more.

How so? The way I apply the points it is equivalent to 8%...If I was to stay at a lesser hotel it would still be around the same percentage since those hotels require less points for a night...

We were offered one years ago, I actually laughed when they told me the fees. Just seemed like another way for a credit card company to extract more money from you by preying on your ego/insecurities.

I also travel a lot in the third world, so low key is always the way to go. Where ever you are, you are advertising wealth and that makes you a mark.

When I see a black card, you are either a billionaire or really insecure and need to tell everybody you're worth $13 million.

We were offered one years ago, I actually laughed when they told me the fees. Just seemed like another way for a credit card company to extract more money from you by preying on your ego/insecurities.

I also travel a lot in the third world, so low key is always the way to go. Where ever you are, you are advertising wealth and that makes you a mark.

When I see a black card, you are either a billionaire or really insecure and need to tell everybody you're worth $13 million.

Not any different than driving a Ferrari or Lambo as opposed to a Hyundai. Just a matter of priority. With a credit card, status is in the wallet instead of being flashed on the street and i guess that makes it less appealing to some of the so called ballers who have posted on this thread. A $2500 a year fee is chump change compared to the depreciation of an exotic.

Not any different than driving a Ferrari or Lambo as opposed to a Hyundai. Just a matter of priority. With a credit card, status is in the wallet instead of being flashed on the street and i guess that makes it less appealing to some of the so called ballers who have posted on this thread. A $2500 a year fee is chump change compared to the depreciation of an exotic.

Yes, mine pays for itself repeatedly.. I also have a SPG card and use that for all business purchases.

Huh? The apartment was in Kreuzberg, right by the canal. Check out the map/street view. I've never seen a nicer Berlin neighborhood than this or one with more children, families, and dogs outside. I guess you could say it's a few blocks from Kreuzkoelln, but it's pretty far away from central Neukoelln. Gentrification has definitely made it's way to this area and I think this is probably one of the better, more happening places to live. Tons of great restaurants, bars, cafes, parks. There was an R8 parked on the street the other day... couldn't be that bad haha.

I can't speak for the far out suburbs or outskirts of Neukoelln, but I highly doubt it's dangerous. Europeans are just pussies I think :) If you think Neukoelln is dangerous, stay out of the US. If you've shiverin' in your boots upon seeing a Turkish person, I'd hate for you to see an American black person at the local mall ;)

:iamwithstupid: minus the pussypart :icon_mrgreen:

And driving a Lamborghini doesn't advertise your wealth? At least a CC stays in your pocket or at home. I barely even use mine. You're really just paying $2500 for the membership cards that come with it. It's not like you are obligated to spend money on the card unless you are required to use the card to get the perk -- Amex offers better cards for actual spending.

I only quoted what the ad said, I did not check on the map :)

As for hotel stays, you're crazy if you stay in a hotel these days. I use airbnb.com nowadays.

I've been poking around airbnb the past week, it looks like its really good if you need to stay somewhere a week or three. Amusing article about it in the NYPost recently, amusing because people got their names and faces listed as illegally subletting their apartments.

How so? The way I apply the points it is equivalent to 8%...If I was to stay at a lesser hotel it would still be around the same percentage since those hotels require less points for a night...

Buy the shit you normally would using the SPG card and then you never pay for a starwood hotel room ever. Anyways, I'm not spending $1m on starwood hotel rooms so 8% back on what I do spend on hotel rooms is inconsequential.

Still would appreciate it if someone could estimate how many $ they get back per $1m spent on a black card :)

I've been poking around airbnb the past week, it looks like its really good if you need to stay somewhere a week or three. Amusing article about it in the NYPost recently, amusing because people got their names and faces listed as illegally subletting their apartments.

Buy the shit you normally would using the SPG card and then you never pay for a starwood hotel room ever. Anyways, I'm not spending $1m on starwood hotel rooms so 8% back on what I do spend on hotel rooms is inconsequential.

Still would appreciate it if someone could estimate how many $ they get back per $1m spent on a black card :)

I only spend what I would normally buy...nothing extra. I could get 3-5% cashback with some cards or 8% with SPG for hotel use.....to each their own

• 1 year later...

A little late to the question but it's 100:1 at least in Canada, so 1MM nets $10,000 if you choose to redeem it back onto your card as cash. They call it FlexPoints I believe. The points accrue quicker than 1 for each dollar spent, as above a certain amount a multiplier kicks in at 1.25x purchase dollars spent.

That said I wouldn't be surprised to find that it is better to spend the points on online flights rather than redeeming for cash.

For around 1M Amex points I could get over $24,000 worth of first class airline tickets. I've done it twice.

I've spent over $1mm over the last 8 months and didn't get nearly that many points. Wtf?!

Tell AMEX I didnt make the rules

I just called their customer service and they said some guy named Lying Fap made the rules.