The most bang for the buck Ferrari

Lambo4ever

If someone was in the market for a sportscar say 25-40K what would you get? What Ferrari would you buy? or would you get a Maserati?

(Lambo would be great but impossible @ that price range esp. a countach)

The Ferrari's in that range will be 308's 328's and Mondial's which are all dogs by todays standards. You could however pick up a two year old Maserati which tank is resale but buying pre-owned you could be the benefactor. Others to consider:

Lotus Elise

Korvette C5 or C6

Edit: how could I forget - Lamborghini Jalpa!

I would not buy a $25-$40k Ferrari. In that price range, the only thing that makes sense is a 930 or a 91-92 911 Turbo.

Or an Esprit V8TT.

The Ferrari's in that range will be 308's 328's and Mondial's which are all dogs by todays standards. You could however pick up a two year old Maserati which tank is resale but buying pre-owned you could be the benefactor. Others to consider:

Lotus Elise

Korvette C5 or C6

Edit: how could I forget - Lamborghini Jalpa!

:eusa_think: Jalpa, while more interesting, is no less a dog than a 328. If all someone wants is speed, the C5 o C6 is the best bang, but sometimes good looks are better than speed. I still like the 308/328 and would take one over any POS. Well, maybe not over a '67 427 Sting Ray.

Bang for the buck F car at 40K ?

You could stretch for a hi-mile, no maintaince records, worn interior, repainted, a lot of previous owners, cam belt service required, "driver" Testarossa. The problem with the Testarossa, is the cost of the maintainance. With the cam belt service, you are looking at between 7.5K-14K for the regular service. If it is a beat up uncared for driver, it could be even worse. When you pull the motor, their will be other items, that should be taken care of. The Testarossa, is an expensive 12cyl F car to maintain. I would not recommend this type of car, due to the cost of bringing it up to factory mechanical specs. I mentioned the car, because it is the best bang for the buck F car.

After all the maintainance services have been paid for, you will still have a hi-mile beat up driver, with updated services. The car will be worth, about the same price that you paid for it. With that being the case, it is better to buy a much better car. A good Testarossa, will start around 50-55K (retail). The entry level driver, will be a deep money pit. Actually all Testarossa autos, are money pits.

The 512TR (around 85K+) is a much better car (improved in almost every area) over the Testarossa. Another F option, is a 355B, in the same condition, as the Testarossa that I described. - However that car will cost more than 40K, with a clean title.

You would do much better, to look at a 930 or 964 Turbo :icon_super: . Have you looked at a 1997 Viper GTS ?

I was thinking Jalpa but if I can find the right one, Id be honest I would keep the car 2 yrs the most. Corvett e and Viper doesnt do anything for me, I was thinking a used Maserati coupe, F348 or ?, Porsche ???, Lotus, something I can drive around when the weather is nice. Im not in a rush, just looking at everything. An for me its more look than speed sounds crazy huh? Thanks for the input guys

Esprit.jpg

You can get a nice Lotus Esprit with a TT V8 for less than $40K.

I was thinking Jalpa but if I can find the right one, Id be honest I would keep the car 2 yrs the most. Corvett e and Viper doesnt do anything for me, I was thinking a used Maserati coupe, F348 or ?, Porsche ???, Lotus, something I can drive around when the weather is nice. Im not in a rush, just looking at everything. An for me its more look than speed sounds crazy huh? Thanks for the input guys

How old of a car do you want to consider?

If you are only going to hold the car for two years, is depreciation a consideration?

If performance is not a consideration then:

Maserati Bora

Lamborghini Jalpa

Maserati Merak

Porsche 993

Didn't he say something about wanting an f-car? Bang for the buck? I'd say buy a 355. The other cars 3x8, mondial, TR are fcuking SHIT BOXES THAT CAN'T OUT RUN AN ACURA!

I owned a Maserati spyder, I wouldn't dream of owning one out of warranty!

Didn't he say something about wanting an f-car? Bang for the buck? I'd say buy a 355. The other cars 3x8, mondial, TR are fcuking SHIT BOXES THAT CAN'T OUT RUN AN ACURA!

I owned a Maserati spyder, I wouldn't dream of owning one out of warranty!

Well, the Maserati is like a Ferrari......isnt it?

I think of a modern Maserati, as a step down cheap F car. The depreciation curve is brutal.

I have heard that with some dealers, when you want to move up in the F dealer's pecking order, to get positioned near the front of the line, for customer allocations of the new darling 8 cyl F cars, you usually had to reluctantly take a new unwanted dusty Maserati off the showroom floor, as your everyday beater.

A few of the local club guys, drove around with a new C.S. and the new Maser as the grocery getter. The old 456, followed by today's 612 can probably substitute the Maser, for the swingers who are willing to flush even more dinero down the toilet, to move to the front of the line.

Bang for the buck? I'd say buy a 355. The other cars 3x8, mondial, TR are fcuking SHIT BOXES THAT CAN'T OUT RUN AN ACURA!

A Testarossa will outrun a 355 on the top end. The 355 is the best bang for the buck, when you take into account the cost of maintainance. It will cost less to maintain, in relation to the Testarossa.

Some of the 355 autos, have valve guide issues and cracked exhaust headers. Yet with the Testarossa, you can never avoid the every six year major engine out belt service bill. - Approx 20-25% of the value of the car :shock: :shock: :shock: .

For an F-car the only one that you can get well maintained is the 308 for 40K or under.

The 328's are going for more than 40 well maintained.

You will not find any 355 for 40K - that is not wreked or in need of big repairs. 60K is more realistic for the 355's coupe (and that can be low for a well sorted one).

As the others said - you can get a heck of a car 993, lotus, NSX, or get the newer Elise - fun little car, and you would have a warranty for around 40K.

already been said, but a 308 euro quattrovalve is a nice find and can be had for mid $20's.....definitely I would steer out of F-cars in that price range and go air cooled Porsche 930. Much better car!!! You can have coupe, slantnose, cabrio, even targa variations, lots of options on a great fking car!!!

as already said esprits, 930 porshe, panteras are way better options than any sub 40k F car IMO

as already said esprits, 930 porshe, panteras are way better options than any sub 40k F car IMO

Im gonna agree

post-7955-1183758570_thumb.jpg

You can get a nice Lotus Esprit with a TT V8 for less than $40K.

This is as exotic/fun as you'd get in this price range IMO. What are the maintenance/repair costs on these?

Theres is nothing exotic about it, not to mention everyone and there mom drives one.

But it will outperform most of the things on his list, and for $40k he can get an 05 still under warranty.

Best bang for the buck is an NSX. Fit and finish is unbelievable. They hold their value. You don't see many of them around. Maintenance is very low. I've owned two and I'd own another if I had the garage space.

Hmmmm....always the same. The 308/328 are not 'dogs'.....simply 20 years old. A well maintained one is still a lovely car. And they look fantastic...far fcuking nicer than a 430/360 etc...

If anything, the 328 would be the car.

How about a MKIV Supra with a 6spd? Right within that range with a few pennies left over for a nice set of wheels, a nice exhaust, and some suspension to lower the car a bit. Car sounds great, very reliable, can be used daily without worrying about crazy service costs, and with a simple decatted exhaust you're well above 350 HP to the rear wheels.