Unable to sleep

Destructo

My mind seems to not let me sleep...i have to be up in a little over 3 hours. This is the second night in a row. Any suggestions?

I tried a beer, those usually put me to sleep, but i don't want like 6 of them! :lol2:

This pisses me off, and puts me in a bad mood. :eusa_wall:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Youre not the only one. Ive always had a tough time sleeping. Whether its a lot on my mind, or I just cant seem to sleep, it happens pretty often. People think Im crazy when I run a business, and Im up until like 2 or 3 am somtimes(we are in the same time zone, and Im still up!).

For me, my brain is almost always running. I might be thinking of stuff thats going on at the shop, like new ideas for vehicles that come in, or a song I should download, or something Ive gotta do the next day.

I usually just lay in bed, even if I cant sleep. It doesnt work, but I dont care. I would recommend getting up and doing stuff until you get sleepy. Watch tv, close your eyes and fall asleep on the couch. Works for me sometimes. Put in a movie you have seen a bunch and wont make you stay awake with excitement. You could read a book. That makes me tired at night.

Dave, Emily always has the same problem; because her mind never stops. I am lucky, I can just block everything out and be off to sleep in seconds. The key is to either clear out your mind or focus on a singular thing that will allow you to go to sleep. If that doesn't work, DRUGS! LOL!

Good luck buddy!

I am a crazy insomniac. My mind is constantly running. My advice:

Clear your mind. Do not think about trying to get sleep. Don't stress about not being able to sleep when trying to sleep...

Get to bed only when you are tired. Try dim lighting and reading. Do something that will make you tired, and as soon as you feel tired, hit the sack. If you aren't asleep within 15-20 minutes, get up, try to tire yourself again, and repeat. The internet does not help btw.

I've gone weeks without sleeping, seriously. Its not healthy and I feel like crap. I have so much stress at a young age, its pitiful...

I am a crazy insomniac. My mind is constantly running. My advice:

Clear your mind. Do not think about trying to get sleep. Don't stress about not being able to sleep when trying to sleep...

Get to bed only when you are tired. Try dim lighting and reading. Do something that will make you tired, and as soon as you feel tired, hit the sack. If you aren't asleep within 15-20 minutes, get up, try to tire yourself again, and repeat. The internet does not help btw.

I've gone weeks without sleeping, seriously. Its not healthy and I feel like crap. I have so much stress at a young age, its pitiful...

That would suck...two weeks? ughhh...

Now that i think about it, it's been probably close to a decade since i've slept the whole night through, i RARELY sleep 8 hours without interuption. Man, that would be nice....

That would suck...two weeks? ughhh...

Now that i think about it, it's been probably close to a decade since i've slept the whole night through, i RARELY sleep 8 hours without interuption. Man, that would be nice....

I KNOW IT!

Dude, I'm not even tired right now, lol. Sometimes, I'll take 10 minute naps, and I'll feel great! But,I'm still unable to sleep during the night....

Even nyquil didnt help...

That's actually not possible. The human body dies from lack of sleep twice as fast as the next cause (i.e., lack of water).

No Sleep = Dead in 3-4 days

No Water = Dead in 7 days

No Food = Dead in 3-4 Weeks

After 72 hours of not sleeping the brain begins to haluccinate and shut down.

Make sure you didn't sleep too much the night prior and that you are sufficiently tired. Other then that, dunno ... I'm about to fall asleep :closedeyes:

Make sure you didn't sleep too much the night prior and that you are sufficiently tired. Other then that, dunno ... I'm about to fall asleep :closedeyes:

5 hours last night, i was up at 5am yesterday morning...

That's actually not possible. The human body dies from lack of sleep twice as fast as the next cause (i.e., lack of water).

No Sleep = Dead in 3-4 days

No Water = Dead in 7 days

No Food = Dead in 3-4 Weeks

After 72 hours of not sleeping the brain begins to haluccinate and shut down.

The longest recorded period for which a person has voluntarily gone without sleep is 449 hr (14 days 13 hours) by Mrs. Maureen Weston of Peterborough, Cambridgeshire in a rocking chair marathon on 14 Apr.-2 May 1977. Though she tended to hallucinate toward the end of this surely ill-advised test, she surprisingly suffered no lasting ill effects.

The longest recorded period for which a person has voluntarily gone without sleep is 449 hr (14 days 13 hours) by Mrs. Maureen Weston of Peterborough, Cambridgeshire in a rocking chair marathon on 14 Apr.-2 May 1977. Though she tended to hallucinate toward the end of this surely ill-advised test, she surprisingly suffered no lasting ill effects.

There always is an exception to every rule!

MELATONIN!! I know it was a fad some time ago, but I've been re-introduced to it and it's magic! Trader Joes has the best ones, it's a chewable pill that tastes like a mint. Just chew one or two up and you just seem to relax and fall asleep with no side affects! When you wake up you are not drowsy or anything just feels like you had a good nights sleep. I get the over active brain all the time and just could never get to sleep, but I swear this works! Try it.

I remember reading about this guy a couple years ago, so I had to search.

http://www.thanhniennews.com/features/?cat...mp;newsid=12673

What helps me is this. You can either be awake until you crash to sleep, which won't work for obvious reasons, or, you can force yourself to do the next best thing until your mind adjusts to what you need to do. So, tomorrow night, get into bed, turn of the lights, and day dream.

What this will accomplish, is settling your mind into a peaceful state, a state preceding sleep. That way, it will be easier for it to go into sleep mode after you have sufficiently trained it to do so.

It's better to lie in bed with the lights off until you fall asleep, then be on the computer until you get tired enough to fall asleep.

The former will condition your mind to fall asleep quicker, the other will only exhaust you more!

I hope this helps.

MELATONIN!! I know it was a fad some time ago, but I've been re-introduced to it and it's magic! Trader Joes has the best ones, it's a chewable pill that tastes like a mint. Just chew one or two up and you just seem to relax and fall asleep with no side affects! When you wake up you are not drowsy or anything just feels like you had a good nights sleep. I get the over active brain all the time and just could never get to sleep, but I swear this works! Try it.

TJ's FTMFW!

I'm buying some tomorrow! I didn't know chewable melatonin was made. Thanks!

Go for a walk after dinner at night. Clears your lungs, clears your head and helps you digest your food, I know if I have a section of insomnia this is the routine I follow.

Then if I am really suffering a couple of glasses of Red wine.

My mind seems to not let me sleep...i have to be up in a little over 3 hours. This is the second night in a row. Any suggestions?

I tried a beer, those usually put me to sleep, but i don't want like 6 of them! :lol2:

This pisses me off, and puts me in a bad mood. :eusa_wall:

I used to and still kind of do go through this.

A friend recommended going to bed and stay there even without sleeping. I couldn't stand the sack more than 6 hours awake or asleep, so I never tried it.

I thought I'd give his suggestion a go after suffering through successive weeks of nasty insomnia. I had opaque shades made for the windows, unplugged the alarm clock and got new pillows and made sure the temp in the room was 64-68 before crawling in. Laying in bed doing nothing sucked at first, but I got used to the hour or so of being totally comfortable and after a few weeks, the OZZIE fcuking OSBOURNE NEURAL fcuking ROCKFEST that used to crank it up the second my eyelids snapped shut started fading away.

Now I can count on getting enough decent rest that insomnia doesn't rape fcuking weeks of my life.

There are other factors that contribute to this success which may or may not be applicable to your current situation.

-Not enough exercise. I am very active in summer and not nearly so in winter. I can pack away 3500 calories a day in the summer and not gain an ounce. If I did that in the winter, the Earth would be orbiting ME. Matching caloric intake to expenditure helps. Getting any decent amount of exercise also works wonders. Sit on your ass all day? Try taking an hour or two after dinner for a long walk. It doesn't have to be a hard walk or a sweaty one....just a walk. Don't live in a place that good to walk in? Drive to one. Your only goal here is walking and enjoying yourself. Bring along a female friend for the random poke in the scrub...more calories shed.

-Married? Try putting a bed in another room for when you are going bouncing betty batshit insane. If your wife is the same type of sleeper than you, you may be able to skip this part. If she sleeps hotter than you, or snores, or kicks, or takes your covers or does anything to disrupt your sleeping mojo, camp out on the twin bed for a day or two. Chances are she will enjoy the break as much as you will. Being married doesn't mean being attached at the hip for the rest of your fcuking life.

-Noise. fcuk noise. Politely inform your neighbors that barking dogs are keeping you awake. There are few communities in the US that allow dogs to bark their teeth out at all hours, and there are fewer communities that give a fcuk if they do. If animal control isn't working, man up and sue. If that doesn't work, man up and choke the fcuk out of the inbred motherfucker that owns said barking dogs*.

*Do so, and you shall go to jail, but at least you will be able to get a good night's sleep there.**

** Unless someone tries to pull your pink jail undies down and "have a go" at your squinty, hairy womanhood before tossing off for the night.

I'm a chronic insomniac so I can relate to all of this. I even did the 72 hours of not sleeping once and it's true what they say about the hallucinations....not to mention the paranoia, definitely not something that I would like to experience ever again.

Here are a few suggestions that have worked for me in the past, without having to resort to drugs.

-Stay away from coffee no matter what, switch to tea instead.

-If you can't find a way to tired your mind, tired your body instead....do that, and the mind will follow. I used to, and still do sometimes, do my workout routine late at night.....push-ups, crunches, shadowboxing (nothing that will make too much noise though), just so that I can have a decent night's sleep.

-Invest in a high quality mattress and duvet (preferably goose down). For insomniacs this is a must.....the difference is night and day. Stay away from polyester, go for 100% cotton.

Xanax works but is an addictive benzodiazapine and will actually cause the opposite effect if used for long periods of time and then stopped. Ambien is also addictive and will do the same thing although its not in the same class of drugs as xanax. I know I've tried them both. Your best bet is the melatonin. Its natural and non-addictive and your brain already creates it so when you take it, the effect is sleep. I'd try that first.

You expect insomnia to be rampant amongst Lamborghini owners. The reason being some component of ADHD would be part of it. You have to have a hyperactive mind to watch your business, that's why these people are successful.

A couple of suggestions,

Do a winding down in the evening. Don't watch tv for an hour or 2 before you sleep. Never watch in your bedroom either. Sometimes benadryl (the main component of most over the counter sleep aids.) will help. Exercise, not taking fluids 1 hour before sleeping, but be well hydrated before that. Those may help for starters.