CERN Particle Accelerator

VENOMIZ

Do you think they'll find the God Particle? Or will there be catastrophe? They say it's completely safe and contained, however they don't really know the outcome? :eusa_think: 8 billion dollars, 2000 physicists and a 16 mile round accelerator 300ft underground? Amazing that something like this has been built.

http://press.web.cern.ch/press/PressReleas...8/PR05.08E.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cern

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=9473392

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Science channel has a show called The Six Billion Dollar Experiment about it. I thought it was pretty cool. It's also mentioned in Angels and Demons by Dan Brown. To scepulate what the outcome would be would be a blind guess for anyone who is not a partical physicst like these CERN scientists.

That's absolutely amazing, i remember reading about CERN some time ago, years ago i had a very keen interest in physics, but i no longer have time for my hobbies, sadly. I kind of lost interest in these things as time went by. I was admitted to the physics university, when i finished high school, but i did not want to make the time to study for two separate universities at the same time, so i dropped out.

Doomsday case, how interesting lol. I wonder what the progress will be like on that.

I am not up on dark matter or black holes but the collidier has gotten some people worked up to point of filing a "doomsday lawsuit"

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/29/science/29collider.html

fcuking knobs.

Their suit also says CERN has failed to provide an environmental impact statement as required under the National Environmental Policy Act.

LOL. Like they give a fcuk about that in Geneva.

:jackoff:

No, it won't be a catastrophe. (Well, could be a financial one). But thats why these instruments are built, to hopefully find the Higgs Boson. Lets just hope they stop pushing back the damn activation date

Any physicists on LP that can add their 2 cents?

things go zing that go bam that hits thing that go boom.

i like how they say this things PROBABLY won't cause uncontrollable black holes that will destroy the planet- haha, you gotta love these crazy huge physics experiments

Sweet stuff! I hope it opens an interdemensional door into a parallel universe so we can walk over and meet our bizzaro selves..."Why, Goodbye Mr. Bizzaro Allan-Ferrari-Too Fast! How aren't you doing Today?" :icon_mrgreen:

Seriously though, a slight possibility for a brief black hole? I mean those things are so dense light can't escape for pete's sake. Even the existence of one for a very brief period of time may be able to start some shit, no? A friggin black hole...sweet!

That thing is so huge! Im surprised it only cost that many billions of dollars. Im sure its perfectly safe. Kind of reminds me of "the hive" from the Resident Evil movies!

i like how they say this things PROBABLY won't cause uncontrollable black holes that will destroy the planet- haha, you gotta love these crazy huge physics experiments

:iamwithstupid: :icon_mrgreen: :lol2:

You know, if that thing is theoretically, even thou propably not, capable of destroying the whole universe, one could do some interesting things with it.....

post-12010-1216922849_thumb.jpg

Yep a little Black Mesa action...except we don't have a gravity gun!

Should be on the market within a few years if the experiment is successful :icon_mrgreen:

Should be on the market within a few years if the experiment is successful :icon_mrgreen:

Haha! Get this damn thing running then...black holes be damned! :icon_thumleft:

Is Dec 21, 2012 the first day the Cern machine will be tested?

:)

Testing has already begun on each sector, and it should be up and running by Fall

It's going to be dooms day the year of 2012 for the people thinking they are going to die, and don't. They will turn on everyone saying but the bible... but nostradamus, but yellowstone volcano, but the mayan calander, "how can this be, they spared us up a above and extended the horrific day." and boom, another dooms day will be created on XX day, at XX month, at XXXX year. Damn cults :rolleyes:

They weren't quite sure fully if the first atomic bomb would start a chain reaction in the atmosphere that would fry the whole planet or not either.

I doubt logical science will ever grasp the universe fully, because too much of it is purely illogical. Rational science has a limit. A lot of the ancient cultures understood this, that's where all their stuff about meditation comes from, because they recognized that in order to understand certain aspects of this universe, one must go beyond logic and rationality.