CERN Particle Accelerator

VENOMIZ

Better back up the server on Lambopower. I don't want to see another crash after this thing starts smashing particles and we lose all of our pictures again. LOL

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't people think the atomic bomb experiment would end the world?

More than likely yes. Just like when the locomotive could travel over 50 MPH, people though going that fast would literally rip your face off. What more can be said, there are still those that think the world is flat, the moon landing was a hoax and the 9-11 attacks were a government conspiracy. Unbelievable :icon_rolleyes:

Didn't people think the atomic bomb experiment would end the world?

Yea they thought it could burn up the Atmosphere.

• 1 year later...
We're saved! :icon_mrgreen:

Not so fast, round two begins next month.

We have heard about the doomsday scenario, here is another strange prediction, this time from two well known/regarded physicists that states the "collider is being sabotaged by its own future."

A pair of otherwise distinguished physicists have suggested that the hypothesized Higgs boson, which physicists hope to produce with the collider, might be so abhorrent to nature that its creation would ripple backward through time and stop the collider before it could make one, like a time traveler who goes back in time to kill his grandfather.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/13/science/...nted=1&_r=1

“For those of us who believe in physics,” Einstein once wrote to a friend, “this separation between past, present and future is only an illusion.”

"collider is being sabotaged by its own future."

When I heard about this the other month I thought that is the worst excuse for "I don't know what is happening so best think of something that people will buy excuse".

Essentially in the nutty world of physics that excuse is the very equivalent of our worlds "my dog ate my homework" excuse.

They are making out that what they have built is effectively a Delorean that drives itself which then realises it is going to fcuk up everything and so it will drive itself into the clock tower at speed greater than 88 miles per hour.

I would not put those muppets in charge of a bar of soap let alone a multi million pound project. What they should have done is given the hyper intelligent gimps a giant rubiks cube not a mission to find the Higgs Boson which when all said and done is going to solve the square root of fcuk all even if they were to find it.

Need this technology in cars too, so when you are about to crash it just start the reverse time travel and gives you an undo. Maybe it's the insurance companies sabotaging the experiments!

Not so fast, round two begins next month.

We have heard about the doomsday scenario, here is another strange prediction, this time from two well known/regarded physicists that states the "collider is being sabotaged by its own future."

A pair of otherwise distinguished physicists have suggested that the hypothesized Higgs boson, which physicists hope to produce with the collider, might be so abhorrent to nature that its creation would ripple backward through time and stop the collider before it could make one, like a time traveler who goes back in time to kill his grandfather.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/13/science/...nted=1&_r=1

“For those of us who believe in physics,” Einstein once wrote to a friend, “this separation between past, present and future is only an illusion.”

That would be pretty cool if true!

Was wondering what the Higgs thing was you guys were talking about and read this.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higgs_boson

Now I feel dumb, cause I can't understand half that shit.

IMO I think much of this stuff in physics right now is pointless, until we humans get more powerful brains to understand this universe, for example:

1) Are matter and energy the same? Is there really a tiniest particle?

2) Is time a concept created by humans or an actual thing?

3) How is light both a wave and a particle?

4) How are photons created when the electrons change energy levels?

5) WHAT is the electromagnetic force? Gravity they believe is a bend in the curvature of space-time, but WHAT is it that makes protons push away from each other or electrons push away from one another, or protons and electrons attract each other?

6) Are there any more than three dimensions? As it stands, this is only theory, empirically we know only of three dimensions at most.

When I heard about this the other month I thought that is the worst excuse for "I don't know what is happening so best think of something that people will buy excuse".

Essentially in the nutty world of physics that excuse is the very equivalent of our worlds "my dog ate my homework" excuse.

They are making out that what they have built is effectively a Delorean that drives itself which then realises it is going to fcuk up everything and so it will drive itself into the clock tower at speed greater than 88 miles per hour.

I would not put those muppets in charge of a bar of soap let alone a multi million pound project. What they should have done is given the hyper intelligent gimps a giant rubiks cube not a mission to find the Higgs Boson which when all said and done is going to solve the square root of fcuk all even if they were to find it.

No Way Capt...that shit's for real! My dog just freakin ate my kid's progress report like a week ago...interestingly before I had a chance to look at it. Coincidence? I think not! The laws of physics are at play here and that accelerator doo-hicky is cleaning up all sorts of shit! :icon_mrgreen:

But there was no chance that what the Wright brothers would do would destroy the planet.

Its an interesting ethical question.... SHOULD YOU experiment with something that is impossible to measure the outcome and impact of, JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN?

With the amount of planes used in wars, to drop the atom bomb, 9/11, one could say their creation may be a tool to do just that.

However its just speculation just like the CERN being a bad outcome or a good outcome.

However if this thing works how they want the new possibilities would be out of this world. Humans could instantly be launched into what we only see on syfy tv.

The possible gains are worth the risk imo. Because seriously.... if the world ends what does it matter, its not like you can sit back and think about it, your dead, you wouldn't even know.

So in this case, yes, we should.

IMO I think much of this stuff in physics right now is pointless, until we humans get more powerful brains to understand this universe, for example:

When do you foresee humans getting these "more powerful brains"?

I think in order to get "more powertful brains" we need to challenge ourselves. It is not going to happen by just sitting around and waiting.

I think in order to get "more powertful brains" we need to challenge ourselves. It is not going to happen by just sitting around and waiting.

:iamwithstupid: scientific research like this is the only way we are going to advance as a race. We cant sit around and hope aliens crash space ships into our back yards so we can steal their technology!

When the whole world subscribes to Lambopower and there are no more Ferrari Fags.rofl.gif

What I mean is that us humans trying to understand these higher-level workings of the universe is like a chimpanzee trying to understand calculus. Just as the chimp has a brain too underdeveloped to figure out something like that, our brains are still too under-developed to understand this kind of stuff. Until we evolve more, I doubt we will ever understand it. The only way to answer these questions otherwise is perhaps through metaphysics IMO.

With the amount of planes used in wars, to drop the atom bomb, 9/11, one could say their creation may be a tool to do just that.

However its just speculation just like the CERN being a bad outcome or a good outcome.

I think the difference though is that there was no risk of the Wright Brothers ending the world if their plane crashed.

However if this thing works how they want the new possibilities would be out of this world. Humans could instantly be launched into what we only see on syfy tv.

The possible gains are worth the risk imo. Because seriously.... if the world ends what does it matter, its not like you can sit back and think about it, your dead, you wouldn't even know.

So in this case, yes, we should.

So to you it's okay to risk ending the human race in the name of scientific exploration because if we happen to do so, no one will be left to be aware, WOW!!

I wouldnt worry too much about little black holes destroying the universe.. my wife has been creating those things in my bank account for years.... are they damaging? yes.. catastrophic? well we keep her away from the chanel store.. that prevents any lasting damage :icon_thumleft:

:lol2: