Anybody looking for a GSL under 150K??

Kisco

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brian, as much as I would love to agree with you, it is hard for me to. The reason being is that if the GSL is indeed special, then it wouldn't have dropped 40% in value in one year.

Unfortunately, and I hope to god I am wrong, I think the Gallardo market is just going to get worse and worse until the economy gets better (1,2,3 years fro now?? who knows).

Personaly, I feel sorry for anyone that paid MSRP or near MSRP for these cars. Our only hope is that when the economy does get back on it's feet, so doesn't the market values for these cars.

jmo

Brian, as much as I would love to agree with you, it is hard for me to. The reason being is that if the GSL is indeed special, then it wouldn't have dropped 40% in value in one year.

Unfortunately, and I hope to god I am wrong, I think the Gallardo market is just going to get worse and worse until the economy gets better (1,2,3 years fro now?? who knows).

Personaly, I feel sorry for anyone that paid MSRP or near MSRP for these cars. Our only hope is that when the economy does get back on it's feet, so doesn't the market values for these cars.

jmo

I guess only time will tell. "Depreciation works from the top down."

When I sold my CT there was only about 5 for sale in America and mine was the only DD. Took less than a month.

Around 2000 CTs TOTAL, 2000 G's produced per year...

Now, there are 229 G's for sale on Autotrader and no financing available.

The secondary market is being murdered because while new car buyers in this strata have cash or AAA credit, the fringe owners they want to sell to have either lost their jobs, are focused on neccesities now, or can't get loans.

I bet you wouldn't write me check for 175K for a 200,300,400 mile LP560 today. Nor would any or my friends who are major dealers and people who write the checks for these things. Why? because they all told me, there is so much stock sitting at dealers and the ports, we don't how far and fast this car will fall.

I think you are under estimating the severity of what is going on. Also, you cant compare CGT's and FGT because of their limited numbers compared to Gallardo's. But hey, look at LP640 prices? Less production numbers but they are plummeting as well. Basic supply and demand and in this case, too many produced and over priced for the market. Yes I think SL's will continue to drop as with most others. They will hit a bottom and then rebound slightly. The problem is, Lamborghini has just made way too many cars and has bad judgment in their schedule to release new models. There are not enough buyers for the cars, thus the prices will continue to fall.

I bet you wouldn't write me check for 175K for a 200,300,400 mile LP560 today. Nor would any or my friends who are major dealers and people who write the checks for these things. Why? because they all told me, there is so much stock sitting at dealers and the ports, we don't how far and fast this car will fall.

I think you are under estimating the severity of what is going on. Also, you cant compare CGT's and FGT because of their limited numbers compared to Gallardo's. But hey, look at LP640 prices? Less production numbers but they are plummeting as well. Basic supply and demand and in this case, too many produced and over priced for the market. Yes I think SL's will continue to drop as with most others. They will hit a bottom and then rebound slightly. The problem is, Lamborghini has just made way too many cars and has bad judgment in their schedule to release new models. There are not enough buyers for the cars, thus the prices will continue to fall.

You have some great points that are very valid! I have warned clients against buying a LP 640 from when they first came out {unless they did not mind losing a lot of money}. Like i mentioned, getting over $200k and then 250 and 300k is a whole different world and you are correct wiith all the numbers produced they will only decline further.

My specific comments were about 1 model, and that is the Gallardo Superleggera. The day will come that the SL will be the same price as a 560. Just as it did with the 997TT and the 993TT.

I wonder why they wouldn't list the VIN for this Gallardo Superleggera. Does anyone know how much those 2 Gallardo Superleggera sold at Lamborghini Dallas? What about the one they offer at Straightline (is it legit?)? Thank you very much for your help. Have a wonderful day!

Very well written Brian! :icon_thumleft:

VCR will love this!

:icon_mrgreen:

For once, we Canadians have an edge! The number of Lambo's here is no where that of the US so it still commands a fairly good price. Haven't checked the East coast but as far as Western Canada is concerned, no one's selling their SL. I think we only have about 8 or 9 SL in the entire country. And we only have a small handful of LP560 so pricing is relatively maintained. Used Lambo saw about a 4% discount in prices which is roughly $10K per car.

As far as the global economic slump, everyone's in for a fairly long ride but up here in the north, we are no where as bad as our neighbour down south. Despite being one of the G7 countries, we are no where near that of the US so by linear relationship we are no where as hard hit either. And supposedly, we have the best banking system in the world. (Don't ask me how we got that honour.) No one is immune to the slump but once in a blue moon, the little guy walks away a bit easier.

Glad to know that someone really appreciates the SL.

Absolutely love the interior!

Ferrari has always tried to make a special car on the last year of model runs{512M, Fiorano, Stradale}.

Lamborghini seems to always fcuk it up.

2001 SE's-Brown cars- Brown has been a shiity color for cars since their inception---WTF-

NEXT-They couldn't even get the 40th anniversary right-1994 SE-30th anniversary{winner}- 2003 40th anniversary-WTF-comes out late 2003 and if my addition is right 1994 and 10 more years is 2004. Plus another god awful color, unless you are Turquoise dealer in New Mexico

Now the SL is a winner-More standard options- Cool wing was available-ceramics were available-custom interior{carbon fiber,alcantara, cool guages}, stereo delete, lighter weight and more power. Was it over priced?-YES at MSRP, but not at current market.

Because of the sheer numbers of Gallardos along with the economy they are the greatest buy on earth.

Show me another 1 year old exotic car for $150-160k that can run with a Gallardo.

post-1253-1235320232_thumb.jpg

post-1253-1235320276_thumb.jpg

post-1253-1235320304_thumb.jpg

Absolutely love the interior!

Ferrari has always tried to make a special car on the last year of model runs{512M, Fiorano, Stradale}.

Lamborghini seems to always fcuk it up.

2001 SE's-Brown cars- Brown has been a shiity color for cars since their inception---WTF-

NEXT-They couldn't even get the 40th anniversary right-1994 SE-30th anniversary{winner}- 2003 40th anniversary-WTF-comes out late 2003 and if my addition is right 1994 and 10 more years is 2004. Plus another god awful color, unless you are Turquoise dealer in New Mexico

Now the SL is a winner-More standard options- Cool wing was available-ceramics were available-custom interior{carbon fiber,alcantara, cool guages}, stereo delete, lighter weight and more power. Was it over priced?-YES at MSRP, but not at current market.

Because of the sheer numbers of Gallardos along with the economy they are the greatest buy on earth.

Show me another 1 year old exotic car for $150-160k that can run with a Gallardo.

You are preaching to the choir here. I totally agree.

Careful with the SL that the OP posted, I was chasing that car a month ago and found out it was on the LOC List.

On top of that it was listed at Eurocaroc.com before this listing. This place seems to cycle through quite a bit of the LOC cars. As does another called JSTAR in La Habra.

Plus they won't even post VIN for the vehicle. Please elaborate what kind of trouble would one get into if purchased such a vehicle (LOC list car) from European Auto Center? Thank you very much for your insight. Have a great day!

Wouldnt a car like an SL with limited production numbers start to APPRECIATE and hold a bit after the economic slump subsides some? As we know ALL cars are going to get hit right now (that's no surprise). But very much like the 360CS, that took quite a hit, which had stayed at around 180-200k over the last few years (and its based on a 10 year old model), simply because of it's "rarity". I know the CS is down to the 150-160s now but again, 10 years later in a bad market is not too bad. I liken the SL to that type of car whose production run was only 400 vs the CS which was 1200 (might be a good sign for long term value in the SL AFTER the drop).

Wouldnt a car like an SL with limited production numbers start to APPRECIATE and hold a bit after the economic slump subsides some? As we know ALL cars are going to get hit right now (that's no surprise). But very much like the 360CS, that took quite a hit, which had stayed at around 180-200k over the last few years (and its based on a 10 year old model), simply because of it's "rarity". I know the CS is down to the 150-160s now but again, 10 years later in a bad market is not too bad. I liken the SL to that type of car whose production run was only 400 vs the CS which was 1200 (might be a good sign for long term value in the SL AFTER the drop).

The word "appreciation and {later model}exotics" do not go together. Sellers who use this as a selling technique, and buyers who use this as a rationalization to purchase, are lying to themselves and/or the people involved. In regards to the SL Gallardo and CS comparison; while the Lamborghini following has increased immensely since the inception of the Murcielago, it still does not have the numbers of Ferrari followers. The Murcielago did create a "cross over" between the two manufactures, where owners are enjoying both marques. It used to be "one or the other". I do believe the SL will enjoy a better value than other gallardos, but not the difference you would see between a 2004 360 and the 2004 Stradale {much of this due to most 2008 Gallardo coupes were SL models}.

The pattern is simple. A car goes to a certain figure where it starts selling again. That is the new baseline. Once vehicles start selling, and the supply{or selection} goes down, the prices level, and may actually move up a little. In the case of the Gallardo, I don't expect it to go up, and if it does, it will probably be more like 5k.

IMO- I believe the Gallardo market is very close to where it will remain through September or so. The reason is; the gap between what an owner values his car, and what price the buyers perceive they can purchase the Gallardo, is now down to about $5-15k{margin was much higher}. Remember, it is still winter time also. It's always slow in the winter. Another factor is many of the people that succumbed to the economic situation have already been removed from the market{not all}. The new buyers "made it this far" with the current economic situation, and feel comfortable to make a purchase of this magnitude, even though they realize the economic situation will worsen before it gets better.

If you want a car that appreciates, you need to buy something completely outdated, that is probably not all that fun to drive with a high cost to maintain. You will also be afraid to park it anywhere, and you will worry about every mile you put on it. So unless you are a collector with the financial capabilities to do this with multiple cars, it is not a good option to buying an exotic and enjoying it.

Here's another one. If you put miles on a car, it will go down in value. It's called "use". It seems like so many new "newcomers" to the exotic market act like these are investments. They are investments, very poor ones. Nobody likes "losing their ass" on anything, but the majority of that has already happened. I will say, if a 2005 Gallardo is too much money for you right now{todays market}, and you are worried about the future value, then you can't afford the car in the first place. There has never been a better time in the last ten years when the market has favored the buyer the way it does now. I am referring to the market of 150k{or so} and under. Get into the 200k{plus} range and the risks are always greater, just as they have always been.

[

But it is curious to see these LP560s dropping so damn fast. Crazy that they can be had for 170-180K already.

wow, i havent seen any that low?!?!?

IMO- I believe the Gallardo market is very close to where it will remain through September or so. The reason is; the gap between what an owner values his car, and what price the buyers perceive they can purchase the Gallardo, is now down to about $5-15k{margin was much higher}. Remember, it is still winter time also. It's always slow in the winter. Another factor is many of the people that succumbed to the economic situation have already been removed from the market{not all}.

That assumes the economy doesn't continue to spiral downward at a dramatic pace between now and Septmeber. Buffet and others feel we haven't seen anything yet.