Superleggera Rear Diffuser?

roncfpz

Any other SL owners experience discoloration / yellowing of the carbon fiber directly under the rear exhaust pipes? If so, anyone have any thoughts on a solution to either fix it or prevent it?

Thanks

Ron

Nope.. how many miles do you have on the car?

aren't you supposed to have a little metal rim directly under the exhaust to prevent this?

aren't you supposed to have a little metal rim directly under the exhaust to prevent this?

I don't believe so on the Superleggera. It's just the straight exhaust tip sitting about 1" above the carbon diffuser. No surrounds.

Any other SL owners experience discoloration / yellowing of the carbon fiber directly under the rear exhaust pipes? If so, anyone have any thoughts on a solution to either fix it or prevent it?

Thanks

Ron

Yes, mine has some also (9000 miles). No ideas on a solution

You could just go VRAlexander on their asses and say "F UCK Lamborghini!!"

j/k

No ideas on a fix. Something like that though, there's really not much that can be done. Get a new one? Expensive and will just happen again

Maybe professionally fabricate a thin piece of metal that lays on top of the diffuser (on the "ledge" of the diffuser, for lack of a better term), cut to fit flush of course. Paint it to closely resemble the CF's color shade that way it isnt an eye sore, rivet it on?? ....just thinkin out loud....

If the CF yellowing is only on the top that is... If it is showing below the ledge, then Ive got no idea...

post-16081-1242464403_thumb.jpg

RSC has the metal plates on their replica. Maybe you guys can see if Hershell is willing to sell just the plates.

RSC has the metal plates on their replica. Maybe you guys can see if Hershell is willing to sell just the plates.

No shit?? I didnt know they made those.

My mom always did tell me I was special

No shit?? I didnt know they made those.

My mom always did tell me I was special

Check out their site and see for yourself.

And what does you being special have to do with this? Do tell.....

Thanks, I'll talk to Herschel about it. Not sure metal plates will look good but worth a look.

Any other ideas on preventing it? Any kind of coating (other than stock coating) for the pipes to cut down on heat?

If it's still under warranty, have you tried bringing it back to Lambo? If they can't fix it, ask them to replace it.

If you have stock exhaust and the tips have not been off (there is a angle cut into the tip must be in correct postion) I would have warranty take care of it. To stop it you could have a tip made just a little longer so the exhaust clears the carbon but I would have warr deal with it untill it runs out. Then look at other options.

Check out their site and see for yourself.

And what does you being special have to do with this? Do tell.....

?

The post above yours, metal plates was my idea off the top of my head. Looks like RSC makes them so it must have been a good idea

Moving on.....

The yellowing over time is a natural occurrence of CF in general. Hence why Dymag already puts out their CF wheels with yellow hue in order to prevent the yellowing since it already is. Then there's the CF used by GM on the ZR1, which has a very expensive chemical additive composite that prevents yellowing, period. This is why they have the roof section on the ZR1 in natural CF w/o any worries. The best thing is to see if you can get it replaced under warranty, otherwise, this metal plate seems to be the only other recourse, IMO.

If it's still under warranty, have you tried bringing it back to Lambo? If they can't fix it, ask them to replace it.

still under warranty and they will not replace

So much for 'bumper to bumper' - I guess since the diffuser sticks out past the bumper it's not included in the warranty.

still under warranty and they will not replace

If its only change right under the exhaust that should be warr. Raise more hell ask to talk with the Factory rep. have him tell you why this is not warr. If he says no ask for his boss. But must have stock exhaust if you change exhaust they wont cover it.

Mine is starting to do the same thin with 2400 miles. Not necessarily yellowing but it feels rough

below the exhaust tip.

Guys that are installing these SL diffusers with the non SL exhaust tips are going to

have a bigger problem.

Let us know how you make out with the warranty claim.

So much for 'bumper to bumper' - I guess since the diffuser sticks out past the bumper it's not included in the warranty.

Think they classify it as part of "normal" wear and tear.

Mine is starting to do the same thin with 2400 miles. Not necessarily yellowing but it feels rough

below the exhaust tip.

Guys that are installing these SL diffusers with the non SL exhaust tips are going to

have a bigger problem.

Let us know how you make out with the warranty claim.

I'll let you know how it goes. Lambo says no to warranty claim. I'm working with the dealer now to work something out.

This is with the stock exhaust and just as PCJR describes. The clear coat directly under the exhaust tips begins to breakdown, gets rough and yellow like a burn mark. This is a flawed design since you have a super hot exhaust tip right above a clear coated piece. They should have done a radius to the diffuser so there was more room in between or placed a different type of coating on the diffuser beneath the tip. The latter is what I'm considering since this will be a problem even with a new one.

Despite this, the car is just f'in awesome!

Also, if there are enough SL owners with this problem and we collectively voice our concern over this design issue, perhaps we'll get Lambo corporate attention. So far we have 3 and I know of another car at the dealer that has the same problem.

mine had the same issues but even worse because of the TT.

hershel made me half circle plates powdercoated black so you can barely see.