Veyron vs. Mclaren F1

Kisco

I can't seem to find the article now, but I remember a magazine test where the F1 did the 1/4 mile in 11.1 or 11.2 @ 138mph. That would make for a race similar to the one shown in Top Gear (with the Veyron not using LC)

I can't seem to find the article now, but I remember a magazine test where the F1 did the 1/4 mile in 11.1 or 11.2 @ 138mph. That would make for a race similar to the one shown in Top Gear (with the Veyron not using LC)

Yes, 11.1 @ 138 mph was quoted by most magazines before Road and Track tested the americanized version. Also, 0-60 of 3.2 and 0-100 of 6.3. I am not sure if that was from data provided by McLaren or an actual magazine test.

All of those numbers seem plausible considering the vehicle's specs.

Yes, 11.1 @ 138 mph was quoted by most magazines before Road and Track tested the americanized version. Also, 0-60 of 3.2 and 0-100 of 6.3. I am not sure if that was from data provided by McLaren or an actual magazine test.

All of those numbers seem plausible considering the vehicle's specs.

QUOTED and RUN are too entirely different scenarios. In AZ a guy in a mildly tuned porsche 996TT blew the doors off Dan Kennedys F1. From what i saw off the F1 it was fast, but nothing too crazy.

it seems the Euro versions were much lighter:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/RoadTe...6.0-V12/204160/

it weighs slightly more than a Mazda Miata and has the power of an SLR. even still, id put money that it would be closer to a Zonda F rather than a Veyron.

since the Veyron can do a 10.2@140+, 1 second at ~140 mph is about 12-13 car lengths JUST at the 1/4 mile. by the mile the Veyron should have been on the horizon compared to the F1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFIR1zh-CNs

Best Motoring Test of the F1.

1/4 Mile 11.1 (fast forward to 1:13)

1 Mile 19.7 (fast forward to 5:15).

From what I have seen on other site the Veyron should do the 1 Mile in 17.5 which is a A LOT faster than the F1. Again without launch control though it may lose a fair bit and that is why its playing catch up the whole time.

Again: Nothing can be learned, analyzed, or gleaned from ANY TopGear test, including their test track results. They shoot MULTIPLE runs, I repeat, MULTIPLE RUNS, and choose the run that is the "most dramatic for the audience". Not the most accurate result, the result that is the most exciting. Please please please remember that.

In reality it's clear to see that the Veyron likely obliterated the McLaren, particularly at launch, until they told the driver to back off a bit to make it a more dramatic conclusion.

STOP with all the TopGear analysis week after week, the show is a mirage. They don't provide results that are even worth a single post, let alone the hundreds you guys have made the last few weeks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFIR1zh-CNs

Best Motoring Test of the F1.

1/4 Mile 11.1 (fast forward to 1:13)

1 Mile 19.7 (fast forward to 5:15).

From what I have seen on other site the Veyron should do the 1 Mile in 17.5 which is a A LOT faster than the F1. Again without launch control though it may lose a fair bit and that is why its playing catch up the whole time.

indeed 2 seconds at about 200 mph at the 1 mile mark would mean the Veyron is almost 1/8 of a mile ahead!

though I doubt its a case of not using launch control, but more of a case of what Mako talked about. even if you dont use launch control, the 0-60 time of the Veyron would need to be almost 1 second more in order to be the same as the F1's.

I thinks its amazing that the Mclaren F1 is still relevant enough to be tested against a Veyron.

I like Nima's quote best: "it weighs slightly more than a Mazda Miata and has the power of an SLR".

If that doesn't put it in perspective nothing will.

QUOTED and RUN are too entirely different scenarios. In AZ a guy in a mildly tuned porsche 996TT blew the doors off Dan Kennedys F1. From what i saw off the F1 it was fast, but nothing too crazy.

Was Dan Kennedy driving? That might have something to do with it. I would think a 996TT wouldn't be in too much of a position to beat an F1, let alone blow the doors off it.

I agree with Mako though, Top Gear's analyses and tests are complete and utter shite. The show is purely for entertainment and that's all. It used to have a little bit of credibility, but that's all but gone now.

• 1 month later...
Road and Track tested a F1 back in like '97, If I recall correctly they got it to 60 in 3.4, not sure about the 0-100, I'll try to remember to dig the mag out.

Edit: just looked 0-100 = 7.7

11.6@125 in the 1/4

R&T figures for the Veyron

0-60 = 2.6

0-100 = 5.5

1/4 = [email protected]

Autocar tested the F1 back around 1994.

0-60 3.2s

0-100 6.3s

0-200 28.0s

• 3 months later...
Again: Nothing can be learned, analyzed, or gleaned from ANY TopGear test, including their test track results. They shoot MULTIPLE runs, I repeat, MULTIPLE RUNS, and choose the run that is the "most dramatic for the audience". Not the most accurate result, the result that is the most exciting. Please please please remember that.

In reality it's clear to see that the Veyron likely obliterated the McLaren, particularly at launch, until they told the driver to back off a bit to make it a more dramatic conclusion.

STOP with all the TopGear analysis week after week, the show is a mirage. They don't provide results that are even worth a single post, let alone the hundreds you guys have made the last few weeks.

like he said

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

1/4 = [email protected]

I need to take my Veryon to the drag strip (SCC_JOE: Good time now with this weather/temperature)

My car now has 5000miles -- well broken in -- and new tires.

I hope to do the 1/4 at 9.9@145. I saw a Japanese show that had their Veyron at 9.9

QUOTE (R o b @ Dec 26 2009, 01:24 PM)
1/4 = [email protected]

I need to take my Veryon to the drag strip (SCC_JOE: Good time now with this weather/temperature)

I hope to do the 1/4 at 9.9@145. I saw a Japanese show that had their Veyron at 9.9

Is this the first tyre set you need? so every 5000 miles you need to buy new tires?

I also heard that bugatti changed the rule to buy new rims after 15 000 miles or after changing the tires 3times. Is this true?

QUOTE (R o b @ Dec 26 2009, 05:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1/4 = [email protected]

IIRC, bugatti claims a 9.9 too.

QUOTE(R o b @ Dec 26 2009, 09:24 PM)
1/4 = [email protected]

Nice... the Veyrons launch is untouchable.