SL threw a Check engine light after exhaust valve disconnect

JohnLP560

So I listened to Randy (Randysway) and disconnected the exhaust line in my SL. I pulled the top of the black tube off the plastic electrical connector. I then put a small cork in the plastic tube and taped the connector nipple with duck tape. Started the car up and instantly sounded a million times better. Went for a quick cruise around town and 9 miles later, check engine light comes on flashing 1-5 6-10.

Did I do the procedure wrong?

Was I suppose to disconnect somewhere else?

How do I reset the check engine light?

Thanks

AFAIK, the SL has a whole battery of sensors in the exhaust (more than all the previous model years) so the method that you tried might trigger the CEL. As for reset, restore everything first. Then disconnect the battery, wait a bit and reconnect again. That might do the trick. Good luck.

Thanks VCR, will connect everything back tomorrow. Exhaust did sound good for the 9 miles though!!

Damn it Randy!! You screwed me! Haha j/k, maybe your SL is more forgiving.

I didn't do it!! :icon_butt:

That's very odd that you tripped a CEL! I have the exact same car (an SL to boot!) as you, down to the color. Which vacuum tube did you disconnect? You mentioned that you disconnected the tube from the electrical connector - if this is the connector at the top area, then this is most likely why it tripped a CEL! AFAIK, 2004-2006's were able to completely disconnect the electrical plug without throwing a CEL, but the 2007+ G's threw a CEL if it was messed with according to everyone on the forums. So, the correct tube to disconnect in the newer 2007+ G's (not sure about the LP560 models) is the tube running down to the metal "T" line, down by the license plate. It's a bit down behind the bumper (maybe around 3 inches?) so you'll have to look down in there a bit and reach in to get it. Use a pair of needle nose pliers to get the clip off.. Again, it is not near the electrical connector at the top. So, the top area near the electrical plug is not touched at all, only the tube at the bottom (not at the top) is touched. I simply disconnected this and capped off both lines without any CEL's in the past 1,500 miles. I've had it up to 190 MPH on 3 runs down a runway without a single issue, too. I've posted this several times on this board and another Lamborghini board and several guys with new G's (2007 and 2008's) have disconnected it and posted that they have had no problems.

Here's a little image I whipped up for visual clarification - original base image credit goes to doltmo:

exhausttube.jpg

Clear that CEL and try it again - don't give up! And don't be a blamer! :thefinger: :P

Hope this helps and anyone else who stumbles upon this post in the next few years,

-R

Now you finally reply!! I pulled the tube in the top area by the connector, I wonder if I pull the tube from the bottom if it makes a difference. I hope so, the exhaust does sound a million times better. I am sick of driving a V10 Prius. Hahaha

That's very odd that you tripped a CEL! I have the exact same car (an SL to boot!) as you, down to the color. Which vacuum tube did you disconnect? You mentioned that you disconnected the tube from the electrical connector - if this is the connector at the top area, then this is most likely why it tripped a CEL! AFAIK, 2004-2006's were able to completely disconnect the electrical plug without throwing a CEL, but the 2007+ G's threw a CEL if it was messed with according to everyone on the forums. So, the correct tube to disconnect in the newer 2007+ G's (not sure about the LP560 models) is the tube running down to the metal "T" line, down by the license plate. It's a bit down behind the bumper (maybe around 3 inches?) so you'll have to look down in there a bit and reach in to get it. Use a pair of needle nose pliers to get the clip off.. Again, it is not near the electrical connector at the top. So, the top area near the electrical plug is not touched at all, only the tube at the bottom (not at the top) is touched. I simply disconnected this and capped off both lines without any CEL's in the past 1,500 miles. I've had it up to 190 MPH on 3 runs down a runway without a single issue, too. I've posted this several times on this board and another Lamborghini board and several guys with new G's (2007 and 2008's) have disconnected it and posted that they have had no problems.

Here's a little image I whipped up for visual clarification - original base image credit goes to doltmo:

exhausttube.jpg

Clear that CEL and try it again - don't give up! And don't be a blamer! :thefinger: :P

Hope this helps and anyone else who stumbles upon this post in the next few years,

-R

Now you finally reply!! I pulled the tube in the top area by the connector, I wonder if I pull the tube from the bottom if it makes a difference. I hope so, the exhaust does sound a million times better. I am sick of driving a V10 Prius. Hahaha

A-ha. Well there's the answer.. YOU DID IT WRONG! :P Yeah, the tube at the top area will throw a check engine light in our '08 Superleggeras - it's the original method and many forum members (here and other boards) have tried disconnecting either the tube at the top or the electrical connector in their '07+ G's, but posted that it tripped a CEL. It'll work fine on 04-06's (from what I've read) but it'll trip CEL's on 2007+ G's, which is why everyone says you can't do this mod on an '07+ G without tripping a CEL. However, doltmo posted the diagram about the tube at the metal "T" on the bottom and then I gave it a shot with great results. I've been spreading the word ever since and I think around a half dozen guys (with an '07/'08 G) have finally tried it and done it successfully.. I don't know the mechanics behind why it trips a CEL if the tube is disconnected at the top but not if it's disconnected at the bottom, but it works for me. :icon_thumleft:

By the way, where are you located?

-R

funnypicturesbirdonbird.jpg

Perfect! Thanks Randy! I will give it a shot tomorrow morning. Hopefully I can clear the check engine light and make it work! Do you feel a loss in low end torque after doing this mod though??

I am located in Northern California near San Francisco. If you are ever up this way, let me know! Also if like loud, check out my M5! It has full exhaust, you can hear this thing from 3 miles away ( I am not joking)

Sometimes the battery disconnect will not clear the CEL. If it doesn't, return your vaccum lines to normal, and take 5 or 6 short (~5 mile) trips. After each trip, shut off the car and restart. It should be gone when complete (it may even go away after the 3rd or 4th stop.)

You can also clear the CEL's (once things are back in place) by doing a "false start" on your G.

Do this by turning the key to start the car - but do not let the car start (so just let it start to crank). Do this 3 or 4 times and then start completely and it should clear the CEL's.

hi guys did my 08 SL with kriesegg....and guess what...it sounds like a monster from the deepest abyss of hell. when it screams people fall of their bikes. but now i hv that CEL on for engine 1-5 bank.

can u i use this method to disconnect?? i hv never opened up the grill b4....will it be easy for a simpleton like me? finally the method of false starting the car...will it really resert the CEL?

kriesegg factory tells me that its not due to happen, may be a drop in pressure. pls pls help.

All 07 and up should turn light on some times it takes about 500 miles for it to come on. There is a exhaust presure sensor that read exhaust presure pulse. When valves open the pulse dose not come at the right time and the ECU thinks the valves are stuck open this is true with after market exhausts also. Two codes stored 1 exhaust valves stuck open 2 exhaust control valve malfuntion. The ECU cant tell which is wrong so it turns both on. I had to change are exhaust for thos cars and had to use the flap after alot of R&D in order not to turn check engine light on. Same year cars alos have a issue with condensation in the supply tubes witch cause rust this can damage sensors. Lamborghini has new tubes stainless to prevent malfuntion we install as the codes come up. Code for it is exhaust presure sensor malfuntion. The ECU uses the exhaust sensors to help determain missfire malfuntions.

Perfect! Thanks Randy! I will give it a shot tomorrow morning. Hopefully I can clear the check engine light and make it work! Do you feel a loss in low end torque after doing this mod though??

I am located in Northern California near San Francisco. If you are ever up this way, let me know! Also if like loud, check out my M5! It has full exhaust, you can hear this thing from 3 miles away ( I am not joking)

Damn! Sounds like that thing should be in the Indy 500.

exhausttube.jpg

-R

Great information! Thanks for the post!

Great information! Thanks for the post!

So I finally disconnect the tube from the bottom and it works (so far)! Hopefully it stays like this. Do you guys feel a loss in low end torque after disconnecting the valve?

Will do man. The car sounds a million times better. Not so much like a Prius. You should do it to your car too!

Be sure to post a video clip of your beast!!!!

Do you guys feel a loss in low end torque after disconnecting the valve?

Is this what you experienced? Some loss of power in the band?

• 2 months later...
Will do man. The car sounds a million times better. Not so much like a Prius. You should do it to your car too!

John,

Your M5 sounds really good!! How much does it cost for that setup? You still owe us a video of your Superleggera. Do you have anymore CEL issues? Please keep us posted. Thanks in advance.

• 1 month later...

I just tried this on my super g tonight and it threw the CEL after about 10 miles as well. I did disconnect it from the bottom but it still had an issue, any help?

• 2 weeks later...
I just tried this on my super g tonight and it threw the CEL after about 10 miles as well. I did disconnect it from the bottom but it still had an issue, any help?

Does it really matter whether you disconnect from the top or bottom? I have a friend who disconnects from the top and has no problem. Paging JeffLambo!

Does it really matter whether you disconnect from the top or bottom? I have a friend who disconnects from the top and has no problem. Paging JeffLambo!

No I dont see it making any difference but you never know. The exhaust pressure sensore looks for changes in the timming of the exhaust pulse to help with miss fire detection. It looks for a difference between the valve open and the valve shut if dose not see the difference it will turn on the check engine lights for exhaust pressure control valve malfuntion and exhaust valves stuck open. Some times this can take up to 1000 miles.

If you unplug the elec. connector to the control valve the car can pick up on that right away. If the elec. plug is pluged in then the system still opens the valve and it is up to the pressure sensor to pick up on the malfuntion. This is the same issue when the exhaust is replaced to one that dose not use flaps on a 07/08 Gallardo. O6 cars did not look for operation of the flaps thats why you can put any exhaust on them with no issue.

Is it not only the 04 and 05 cars that won't throw codes? On these they only had a partial exhaust bypass, and it makes very little sound difference. Useless mod.

On the 07's , it definitely threw a code.

On the 06 +up , it makes a huge difference, but I believe it will throw codes. Not quite sure about an SE, whether they throw codes. But they do sound MUCH louder with the disconect.

It makes absolutely no difference if you plug the hose pictured at the top or bottom. It is continuous, and all you are doing is plugging vacuum. Doesn't matter where along this hose you do it.