Found out my car is missing navigation (dealer lied) - what should I do?

mwct

Here's the situation.

Yesterday I took delivery of a 2006 Gallardo as shown in my previous thread. Salesperson was Jeff Decious, and the car was supposed to come equipped with the following (as advertised on their website, you can see the original ad here: http://www.penskedirect.com/detail-2006-la...o-3991277.html)

Among the list of options, in fact right at the top of the list is Navigation, a $2500 option.

The car (if it had nav) would probably have retailed for $210,000 new. Without nav, take $2500 off. I bought the car for just over $115,000 + sales tax and doc fees (price includes extras like whole hood clear bra and nano window tint, which is a rather pricey window tint at over $600).

The car is in very good condition, minor rock chips (barely noticeable) and other than missing the car cover and the security code key, it comes complete with books and both keys. As for service records, they are not available but the car has very obviously been well maintained at 9000 miles (from the overall condition).

This probably is still a good price for the car with or without nav. However, on the principle of the matter, if I was promised navigation, I want navigation. This was brought up in the ad, during the sales negotiation, and Jeff even sent me an email after delivery when I asked about the options of the car. Each time navigation was mentioned as an option.

I know Jeff is reluctant to put in a new nav unit or refund the money for the nav unit. He says that probably they will buy the car back. While that is fair enough, I found that an illogical course of action for the dealership, and perhaps it is a scare tactic (because he assumes, correctly by the way, that i like the car alot and would prefer to keep it). however I have never been fond of dishonesty and in this case I feel that a navigation unit was clearly owed to me regardless of whether i got a good deal otherwise on the car. So I am prepared to return the car if I have to and that is my only recourse, even though i would prefer to keep it.

I might be blanking out on thinking of alternative ways to resolve this. I do know the number for someone high up in the Penske organization (which owns the dealership), which I could use to try to get things resolved favorably but if they do end up buying the car back i don't think this would be a logical step.

I'd appreciate comments, suggestions etc...

Thank you.

Sell the car back. There are other 06's you can have at that price IMO. Basically you'll call their bluff and either way you should not lose. There are not a lot of people buying 115k used cars right now.

I would tell them to either issue you a check for $2500.00 or refund 100% of your money (including shipping and taxes).

As mentioned in an earlier post..Plenty of 06's for sale.

Well the manager has gotten involved and has promised a resolution to my problem (exactly what this resolution would be is still being determined). He says that they will take care of things, so I will wait to see how things develop. Jeff was perhaps not being completely on the level when he said that the manager would simply buy back the car (obviously, that is not the solution being offered, at least not at the moment). I'll keep everyone posted on the situation in a few days.

I got an apology from Jeff, it seems like they will refund me the $2600 that the nav unit is worth. I'll keep posted but I think there will be a favorable outcome to this. Thank god.

I think you should get something back but not the retail cost ($2500), as the car is almost 4 years old. I've seen tons of G ads that say a car is a manual 6 speed and in the photos -- the car is an egear. Unless you're using the car as a delivery van; who need Navi (it's an exotic car, not a mommy-van) ?? If you like the car; it's not the end of the world. Drive it and enjoy it !

PostScript: You got the full amount; that is an honorable dealership!

Good. The navparts people will unlock your nav on your system.

http://navparts.com/services/lamborghini-n...conversion.html

Better yet...Take that $2600 (And I agree....On a 'used' vehicle I think it's worth $1300) and put in a REAL nav setup with xm, ipod, bluetooth, rear cam, touchscreen, etc...

The stock one is crap, the only good thing about it is that it looks 'factory'.

I would either have it unlocked and add the nav antenna behind the dash or as Mike said I would buy a Kenwood 9140 that is far superior to the stocker and put that in. Kenwood has built in Garmin and it rocks. Sorry about the problem, I had a feeling when we PM'd. I will say though, Penske is a pretty stand up dealership and should stand behind it. They don't want the car back, I can promise you that.

Your car has the backup camera. Don't unlock it through navplus, he'll end up disabling the camera

Oh that was a good save lol, I'd have hated to find that disabled... which probably means I can't do any sort of upgrading other than factory.

Or get a handheld GPS I suppose :(

I would take it back get every one of your pennies back and look for what you want. Myself, I wouldn't be able to love the car knowing I got screwed like that and didn't get an option I wanted and was told it had. Plenty of fish in the sea. If you can handle keeping it with out the nav then I would be looking for a sincere appology cost of the nav back and maybe a free or some sort of deal on first service for being lied to. Good luck.

Sounds like you've got it taken care of... I had printed the ad just incase.

What truly amazes me is the $100K loss of value in 3 years!? Nice buy and Congrats... Now drive the hell out of it! :icon_super:

Here is my 2 cents;

You wanted a car with the NAV unit and it was stated with such, the dealer has offered to reimberse you the $2500 which is great. Now to be fair $2500 will not buy you the Lamborghini NAV unit correct? It is the amount that the factory charges you to upgrade the original stereo to a NAV unit, not what the unit costs to go to the parts counter or in this case take it to the service deparment and get them to add the gps antenna, make the program changes and include an original Lamborgini navigation DVD.

If you feel that doing the mods available through 3rd parties then having the Lamborghini Service do the programming and buying a new ~$400 Lamborghini DVD or copying one is fine with you, then good. If you want to take the factory unit out and buy a aftermarket unit then $2500 is in your favor.

If you are not comfortable with the above then I would suggest that you get another car, it is buyers market and it is in your court. As others have said they do not want to take the car back and try and sell again guaranteed.

Last option is to have them assist in getting your car Lamborghini navigation ready, programming, GPS receiver and include the DVD. Complete package turn key and working NAV just Lamborghini would have shipped with a working backup camera. Note, I highly doubt you can pay Lamborghini service to convert a non NAV unit to a NAV unit, but at this stage it won't hurt to suggest that. As soon as you accept the $2500 they are free of any further matters regarding the NAV unit and your on your own.

Your car has the backup camera. Don't unlock it through navplus, he'll end up disabling the camera

If they know what they are doing and have the right softwear they can unlock Nav and reset the back up cam. I have done it alot of times. After unlocking nav it will still need the ant and the DVD then reprogram the back up cam.

Got a call from Scottsdale Bentley today, and they will be sending me a check for $1800, which is a about $800 less than I was hoping (the price of the initial GPS option was $2600). I figure its probably not worth fighting over this so Im going to let it slide. I'm not the happiest but I suppose it could have been worse.

• 2 weeks later...

fcuk that. This is what I would do. Send the car back to them, and have them run it over to Lamborghini Scottsdale which is a Penske store. I believe the Bentley store is also. Have them do their internal cost dance between each other and have them make your car a Navigation car. I would have them pay for the shipping also to and from. Have it done turnkey at a Lambo dealer as they sold the car as a nav car and then once you got it insisted it was a Nav car. Let them figure it out. I guess I would still be happy with the aftermarket at I am sure most good stereo shops could get your rear cam to work with the Kenwood 9140. You are shy on the dollars now though in regards to the bluetooth and XM module.