McLaren MP4-12C master thread, details

capt_chaos

Back to the McLaren, I'm pretty sure i'm going to the unveiling in pebble beach, see if i can get some pictures for us

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Streetrod454-

Welcome to probably the highest end of the spectrum Auto Forum on the internet (and I'm NOT just saying that cause it's a Lambo Forum, 80%+ here are "real deal"). The rest are pretty close.

This is a cool place to hang out, but as a newbie you gotta pick your spots cause it's not easy to fit in. Once you're in, you'll have a blast. The crew can be a little harsh sometimes, but it's all in good fun, have a thick skin and learn as you go. Walk on in slowly, look around and get a feel for the place....

**as the Big Oak Door swings open**

Ok folks lets get the facts clear here as there seems to be a lot of mis-information going around.

Here is where you trying to lay down the law.

First off McLaren is not some two bit operation; they are worth hundreds of millions and have a facility in the UK that would make an operating theatre look mucky.

are you implying that we think that McLaren is some two bit operation? Don't you think we know whom they are what they do and how they do it?

Ron Dennis gave up running the F1 team to concentrate on the road car projects and from the start has always said that McLaren would have a three car line up. The MP4-12C is the middle car in the range and is designed to compete with the likes of the 458 and Gallardo.

We know that, please read the whole of the thread

The Halo model will be seen as a true successor to the original F1 and will be launched 12-18 months after the MP4.

Has been discussed before in this thread.

The third model will compete in the 911 / R8 sector and will follow a year after the Halo car.

We know that, please read the whole of the thread

Ron has set out to completely rewrite the standards in these areas, ranging from the dealership experience to the car and onto the aftercare you can expect as a customer, and as a potential customer I have been keep fully informed with the progress of developments on the car and so far all I can say is "Wow".

Fanboy, sounds like promises that you receive from politicians just before the elections, not saying that they will not deliver but I like to be a bit more skeptical and wait for the results, if you are a fanboy you are convinced now that things will be as excellent as promised, nothing wrong with being a fanboy by the way, aside of the fact that you will find people that will disagree with you until factual evidence is presented to them

You only have to look at the work that has gone into selecting the dealers to realise how serious they are.

You would expect them to select reputable dealers, what other choice do they have? I guess another choice would be to open their own dealerships around the planet if they are so confident in their product, now that would impress me, picking some well known established dealers doesn't impress me that much, good business decision but noting to exciting to talk about.

A few weeks ago I got to spend a great deal of time with the MP4 at Goodwood and I have to say I was very impressed. I know the looks have divided opinion but once you have seen the car you will have no doubts about the quality of construction or the thought that has gone into it.

I will take you word for it, I haven't seen the car in real life, in photos it doesn't look very exciting but photos can be deceiving sometimes.

Talking to the engineers you get caught up in their excitement. They have tested the car against the 458 and the Gallardo and are saying the MP4 rewrites the bench mark in this sector and I have no reason to disbelieve them as McLaren are not prone to exaggeration.

FANBOY, They are saying, I have no reason to disbelieve them, McLaren not prone to exaggeration, did they give you any solid evidence/data on those tests, numbers etc or just told you "Trust us it is better?" I am not saying that it isn't but unless you are a fanboy you have to be slightly skeptical before you see real world tests or have access to accurate data.

So in conclusion, let’s wait for those first road tests. McLaren already hold enough letters of interest to cover the first 2 1/2 years of production. So if they hit the numbers they say they can I think they will have a very successful business on their hands.

So in conclusion, your friends weren't wrong about this board, this is an awesome place to hang out but first you will have to earn your respect, welcome to LP :icon_thumleft:

The 458 vs. MP4-12C is going to be a fantastic head-to-head for that mystical "best RWD car available" title.

The LP-series is in a different class to me due to the AWD, either you love the traction and surefootedness of it or you don't. If you don't, the above battle will be epic.

Streetrod - I recognize your name from a few other places. You're a good guy - you'll blend in here soon enough. :)

Welcome to LamboPower from the 20-post McLaren Fanboy. :eusa_dance:

= = = = =

This silver 12C with the carbon accents was at the Farnborough Airshow two weekends ago:

4814682746_f63543d65f_b.jpg

4814690274_2232fd8b10_b.jpg

4814054761_4e6594ac91_b.jpg

4814662628_5d18385a0b_b.jpg

4814669462_ba72710e78_b.jpg

Look closely and you'll see the carbon panels in the engine bay.

>8^)

ER

Streetrod - I recognize your name from a few other places. You're a good guy - you'll blend in here soon enough. :)

Welcome to LamboPower from the 20-post McLaren Fanboy. :eusa_dance:

= = = = =

>8^)

ER

Peloton25, as the one guy I regard as having more knowledge about the McLaren story than anyone else on the net, I thank you for your welcome.

Peloton, this months UK based MotorSport magazine (Sept issue) has a nice article on the MP4-12C. The article focuses on the connection between the F1 team and the road car and the amount of staff that have transferred for the F1 team to the road car projects

In a separate article Doug Nye looks back at the F1 longtails and describes how Gordon Murray almost fainted when he saw one for the first time, which I think is kind of cool.

Just some more information for that F1 book I expect you to write at some point in the near future :icon_mrgreen:

I prefer the other available wheels, but that silver looks great. Much better than the orange imo. Thanks for posting!

I prefer the other available wheels, but that silver looks great. Much better than the orange imo. Thanks for posting!

Sure thing - here's a silver one wearing the Super Lightweight Forged wheels too - this was taken at the Goodwood Festival last month in McLaren's hospitality area:

Goodwood_1672_m.jpg

Also, for anyone who might be interested, there's an MP4-12C Launch Brochure listed on Ebay right now by a seller in Germany who I have no connection with. The price is a bit high, but I figured anyone paying attention here might be interested in the content. Click on the image below to view the auction:

BzTicbwBGkKGrHqJi4Ew5GLeTBiBMVdPoo0iw_12.jpg

>8^)

ER

The 458 vs. MP4-12C is going to be a fantastic head-to-head for that mystical "best RWD car available" title.

+1

There's going to be some monster tests soon. Can't wait for the evo 'car of the year' with these two, SLS, GT2RS, SL etc etc etc

Also, for anyone who might be interested, there's an MP4-12C Launch Brochure listed on Ebay right now by a seller in Germany who I have no connection with. The price is a bit high, but I figured anyone paying attention here might be interested in the content. Click on the image below to view the auction:

BzTicbwBGkKGrHqJi4Ew5GLeTBiBMVdPoo0iw_12

>8^)

ER

Nice, good heads up for someone interested. :icon_thumleft:

Am I the only one who thinks the front looks FANTASTIC in that brochure, the silver car.

It looks bad-ass, not girly like the production car.

post-19592-1280963238.jpg

:iamwithstupid: someone needs to get on that bumper STAT

The forged wheels look much better.

The car comes with that bumper (and the vents within the bumper). You just need to see it in person-the colors shown don't do it justice.

Am I the only one who thinks the front looks FANTASTIC in that brochure, the silver car.

It looks bad-ass, not girly like the production car.

post-19592-1280963238.jpg

:iamwithstupid:

This car's styling is underrated.

• 2 weeks later...

That silver-on-carbon car is the best looking yet.

Most of the time silver is a miss on exotics, but with McLaren my mind always goes to that color thanks to the indelible images of the original F1 being put through its paces by magazines in the 90s. Such a revolution. Plus the McLaren Formula 1 cars have been variants of silver for a long time now after Marlboro sponsorship switched to Ferrari.

Can't wait to see the first instrumented test results.

fcuking hideous..............................

It's growing on me. I'm pretty sure the finished product will outperform anything else in the segment. The next time you and Deuce hit up Autogallery, be sure to get on the guest list for the official opening/unveiling that they are going to have at their McLaren Dealership that will be put up in Bev Hills Late '10-early '11

That silver-on-carbon car is the best looking yet.

Most of the time silver is a miss on exotics, but with McLaren my mind always goes to that color thanks to the indelible images of the original F1 being put through its paces by magazines in the 90s. Such a revolution. Plus the McLaren Formula 1 cars have been variants of silver for a long time now after Marlboro sponsorship switched to Ferrari.

Can't wait to see the first instrumented test results.

I agree on the color, its like suddenly I can see more of the F1 in it. Sublime.....

On the green outside the lodge at Pebble Beach:

mclaren-mp4-12c-on-the-pebble-beach-concept-lawn_100319010_l.jpg

More here: http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1048283...12c-live-images

>8^)

ER

The 12C looks even better in natural light, and I believe silver may be its best color. Also, the optional lightweight wheels are a plus. However, if I ordered one I would have to go with Mclaren Orange. Orange is my favorite color, and I'm an old CanAm and Indy Car fan. I've always liked Mclaren's orange racing cars.

my friend was there at pebble beach, and he said, let's just say the car isn't photogenic. but in the flesh, he said it was stunning and that the fit and finish was excellent. he liked the titanium color on the car (which i like too) but i think the volcanic red would look nice too.

I think both this car and the Evora suffer in photographs. The Mac has really grown on me as well. Sharp and understated, especially in silver.