McLaren MP4-12C master thread, details

capt_chaos

CT looked better then, and looks better now.

i am with

and so does the diablo

the "regular" F1 (please forgive me for putting the 2 words toeghether ;) ) was and is an icon but the look is just its biggest fault

the mega-rare wide body, race replica versions look very nice on the other hand

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After spending some time looking at the photos again and again and again. Here are my reactions.

First Reaction: Wow, that is plane compared to former designs. Looks like a Hyundai or Mitsubishi concept car for their next sports coupe.

Second Reaction: Hmmmm, well, the Porsche GT-esque side vents give it away as to something powerful on the road.

Third Reaction: Well, seeing how the modernized environmental standards of engineering for all vehicle types are increasing, I can see why they've gone with this smoother design. Purely for functionality even if it takes away from the edginess.

And so on...

What we have to understand is that the MP4 is not in the same class as the F1. The quote that it is a supercar and not a hyper-car brought me back to reality. Notice the designs of Porsche, Ferrari, Audi, Aston, Bugatti, Mercedes, etc. The hard-cut aggressive and sharp lines are no longer warranted (except for Lambo, which, in a few years will follow). With all of these vehicles, there comes incredibly sophisticated engineering and technology to achieve god-like optimization and versatility through every arena of performance. Then, the designers mate such engineering with graceful, elegant bodies where function and showroom looks are molded together in very unique forms.

Truly, the design now is a romantic homage to the heart and mind behind the heritage of these vehicles: it's founder, and his passionate successors.

Think of it this way. The woman or man that you desire the most; the individual that gets your heart pumping fast at first sight (after marriage you can forget it! lol j/k). There are times where you are taken by their exotic dressings, and the thoughts of them in the most provocative positions, and clothing or lack thereof. However, there is always the desire to see them within the most dignified and classy way. Where the voluptuous curves of a woman that you enjoy so much are now beautifully accented by a perfectly fitting and flowing dress with the best of fabric. Her erotic form is there, and she is the same spicy woman that you enjoy in the bedroom so much. Except, now, she is alluring on a whole different level in the ballroom, shimmering across the room in attractive clothing, jewelry, and a beautiful smile on her face.

That's the philosophy here. A romantic and alluring homage to the brilliance of McClaren. It's the new lady in town that is classy and sexy, with all the right queues to make the public daydream about what it's like to experience her....power. Sometimes, a little humbleness can go farther. It certainly inspires more curiosity in the long-term.

I love it. And, I want it.

P.S. Remember, it's a road-going supersports car. Designed to have the luxury comforts to cruise; the class to be driven to distinguished events; and the functionality to throw you off your feet...all at once.

That is Dan Kennedys old F1. Saw it many a time, it even lost to a mildly modded 996TT in a pretty good dragrace.. He came and picked up his Enzo and left the F1 parked outside for days.. Upclose, it is an ugly car, looks better in pics..

These pictures are from April 2003 when Dan took me for a ride in it. He drove the hell out of it, didn't baby it at all. He didn't have the Enzo yet but I did hear he preferred the F1 to the Enzo.

These pictures are from April 2003 when Dan took me for a ride in it. He drove the hell out of it, didn't baby it at all. He didn't have the Enzo yet but I did hear he preferred the F1 to the Enzo.

He certainly did not baby it.. I even saw him take it to the Home Depot!

Spoke to dealer today.. they dont expect the new Macs till July? WTF

• 1 month later...

It's cheaper than the 570 and 458, and options on it will be nowhere near as bad as the Lambo/Ferrari costs. It will also weight less than them with fluids.

:icon_super:

Mclaren-Power :eusa_think:

do we know what the real weight will be with fluids?

Not yet. But they have said it will definitely be lighter than their native competition (Porsche/Lambo/Ferrari).

As ts640 said, they're pricing the car right where it needs to be, delivering the power/weight ratio that it needs to be, and even the option packages are sounds like a competitive advantage.

Looking forward to learning more about it, very pleased to see McLaren in this segment.

first journalists drove the car this week, better on every performance level then anything around the same price point.

I want one.

I like it more and more each time I see it. Maybe it's just because there hasn't been a new car in like 4 years.

Price is a little higher than what I would have liked, but I guess I'll have to wait and see what the base spec is. A few weeks ago, Lake Forest sent me a letter saying they'll begin taking deposits soon. I think I'll wait till I see some in person though and see all the colors. It's still kinda hit or miss for me depending on angle and color.

Is it just me, or does it seem like companies are way late to the active aero game? I mean, I've thought about mechanical and active spoilers for years, and never understood why they didn't exist.

From Tweeter.

Jenson Button

Heading 2 Portugal in the morning 2 drive the new McLaren MP4-12C which I'm pretty pumped about! I'll let u guys know all about it tomorrow!

Seems journos being wooed with two world champions is a reasonable marketing move.

Well, my friend just got back from his inaugural training with Mclaren in England and he said that the car is absolutely INCREDIBLE! He says that the car is so light, and so super crisp, that he cannot wait for it to hit the streets. Comes standard with steel brakes and out brakes the 458 without the CCB's! 1300 kilos dry weight. Says the exhaust note is amazing. He says the transmission is literally almost as fast as an F1 car too. This will be one of the most exciting cars to hit the road in a while. With the weight and the power available (and since it is a turbo motor, the possibilities are literally endless) this thing is going to be off the hook!

I'm tempted more and more. Still need to see it in the flesh. Dealer location is a concern though. Not sure I'd be willing to drive 600 mi for oil changes and the little issues that always come up with new cars.

Well, my friend just got back from his inaugural training with Mclaren in England and he said that the car is absolutely INCREDIBLE! He says that the car is so light, and so super crisp, that he cannot wait for it to hit the streets. Comes standard with steel brakes and out brakes the 458 without the CCB's! 1300 kilos dry weight. Says the exhaust note is amazing. He says the transmission is literally almost as fast as an F1 car too. This will be one of the most exciting cars to hit the road in a while. With the weight and the power available (and since it is a turbo motor, the possibilities are literally endless) this thing is going to be off the hook!

The braking is probably greatly aided by the spoiler.