Best Exercise to cut body fat/Gain Muscle

pockmark

LOL i saw some guy wearing them on monday for the first time at the gym. He was squatting. I laughed when I saw them...I think I'll stick with some shox.

Lol. I wear Converse low tops for the gym. I feel as if they'd be cool for jogging/cross training. I usually wear Nike free's, but I'm getting tired of them.

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am doing the 2 days on and 1 day off routine. Basically I train 2 different body part per day,exerting myself only up to the point when I feel the "pump". Going to the gym and just working on one part is a waste of commute time and effort, I feel.

I can visually see the difference in build if I keep to this plan. Any deviation and I lose form and de-grade quite quickly. I find this odd but time and time again I have noticed this so I try to listen to my body constantly. Maybe it due to all those competitive long distance running during my youth days.

I usually stop training when the pump goes away. When you cant feel it anymore then something isn't right! Although, sometimes I won't feel the pump, but the muscle group will be exhausted after I work out. I had to learn the hardway that form is always #1 when it comes to training.

Lever pullups are a goal of mine, they are pullups, except you contract so as to pull your body parallel to the ground, and then while holding that position, crank out pullups.

That would be pretty impressive. Keep working at it!

I have a quick question to everyone: Why do you work out?

My excuse for working out is to get rid of stress, build some muscle and to be comfortable. Functionality over look is what I'm going for. I like the challenge of working past goals, especially when you have a work out partner.

Currently 6' 1" 234lbs.

Mike I was 6'1" 238lbs 8 months ago. Now I'm 204 and ripped like a MOFO!!!!

I look like a freakin' UFC light-heavyweight. :icon_mrgreen: :icon_thumleft: Come on man! Get back in the gym!!

Last time I was at this weight it was 17 YEARS AGO, and I was playin college 'ball'.

That would be pretty impressive. Keep working at it!

My excuse for working out is to get rid of stress, build some muscle and to be comfortable. Functionality over look is what I'm going for. I like the challenge of working past goals, especially when you have a work out partner.

I workout for the same reasons, adding overall health to that list. I workout to look and feel good. It's a good self esteem booster for me, and the challenge/dedication/reward to me is awesome.

Mike I was 6'1" 238lbs 8 months ago. Now I'm 204 and ripped like a MOFO!!!!

I look like a freakin' UFC light-heavyweight. :icon_mrgreen: :icon_thumleft: Come on man! Get back in the gym!!

Last time I was at this weight it was 17 YEARS AGO, and I was playin college 'ball'.

I have been going. In fact I'm going now at 5:15am like usual

I have been going. In fact I'm going now at 5:15am like usual

Nice! Make sure you RUN FIRST, at least a mile then work your way up. Then lift. Finish with crunches and sit-ups EVERYDAY no matter what lifting cycle you do.

Deja el mofongo, habichuela, Arroz con Pollo (menos arroz que pollo), Ropa Vieja, Vaca y cochi fritos etc. haha!

Eat Boneless skinless chickenbreast, lean beef only (on occasion), salads, seafood and fruits. Relax on the weekend and eat whatever you want, so it's not a chore to eat well during the week. Pop some Hydroxycut Hardcore, and keep running and lifting (high reps, tone down the heavy lifting). Then........100 push-ups at night right before bed (4 sets of 25, try to do crunches in between sets, yes crunches twice a day). I'm doing 40,40,20 now....The transformation will be astonishing after TWO, THREE WEEKS!!! You might drop 10lbs in that time span.

All I do is cardio for 30min. (running 3-4 miles), lift high reps till it burns then finish with stomach blow-out exercises (suck in belly button to spine and exhale as I crunch). Thats it, no special phantom exercises or weird shit, I know how to work-out. It's all about intensity, I'm in and out in 50min. (you don't need to spend 2-3 hrs in the gym to get results, people that do that are resting too long).

Nice! Make sure you RUN FIRST, at least a mile then work your way up. Then lift. Finish with crunches and sit-ups EVERYDAY no matter what lifting cycle you do.

Deja el mofongo, habichuela, Arroz con Pollo (menos arroz que pollo), Ropa Vieja, Vaca y cochi fritos etc. haha!

Eat Boneless skinless chickenbreast, lean beef only (on occasion), salads, seafood and fruits. Relax on the weekend and eat whatever you want, so it's not a chore to eat well during the week. Pop some Hydroxycut Hardcore, and keep running and lifting (high reps, tone down the heavy lifting). Then........100 push-ups at night right before bed (4 sets of 25, try to do crunches in between sets, yes crunches twice a day). I'm doing 40,40,20 now....The transformation will be astonishing after TWO, THREE WEEKS!!! You might drop 10lbs in that time span.

All I do is cardio for 30min. (running 3-4 miles), lift high reps till it burns then finish with stomach blow-out exercises (suck in belly button to spine and exhale as I crunch). Thats it, no special phantom exercises or weird shit, I know how to work-out. It's all about intensity, I'm in and out in 50min. (you don't need to spend 2-3 hrs in the gym to get results, people that do that are resting too long).

I was doing the cardio before I left for a couple weeks. Its tough though as I really HATE cardio.

mofongo is puerto rican so I am not eating that anytime soon. Ropa Vieja is OK as long as its not with a ton of rice.

I haven't gone to my mother in laws house in a while, so I haven't been eating my Cuban food. At night, I typically have chicken and rice (portioned), or wheat pasta and meat sauce.

As of right now, I want to stay in the groove, and keep going to the gym everyday Mon-Fri. Once I can get passed the 2 month mark, I will start getting serious again on the diet. My strength has gone up considerably which is great.

Besides the general health and well being aspect, I enjoy the challenge, setting goals and reaching them etc. I'm always looking to explore different aspects of fitness.

Props to everyone for their accomplishments btw.

I was doing the cardio before I left for a couple weeks. Its tough though as I really HATE cardio.

mofongo is puerto rican so I am not eating that anytime soon. Ropa Vieja is OK as long as its not with a ton of rice.

I haven't gone to my mother in laws house in a while, so I haven't been eating my Cuban food. At night, I typically have chicken and rice (portioned), or wheat pasta and meat sauce.

As of right now, I want to stay in the groove, and keep going to the gym everyday Mon-Fri. Once I can get passed the 2 month mark, I will start getting serious again on the diet. My strength has gone up considerably which is great.

Im not a big fan of running either but I stay focused knowing that is the main key to burning fat and keeping metabolism up.

Hah, I stopped keeping track and forget sometimes, I used to eat it all Puerto Rican, Dominican, Cuban, Spanish, Brazilian, Ecuadorian, Argentine, Colombian and Mexican food. I just separate them in regions now, Caribbean vs Mexican and others...LOL. Oh by the way, wheat pasta is almost equally as bad as regular pasta. Just look at the nutrition content on the back next to a regular pasta package. I was shocked to see there wasn't a lot of difference, slightly better content but not much. Cause I love my pasta. Meat sauce is turkey meat and turkey sausage ONLY for me now, but only on a weekend night would I eat it (try going Angelhair wheat pasta if you have to eat pasta). I've even started just eating the badass turkeymeat and sausage sauce that I make without pasta (if Im in the mood to). Rice........NEVER.. Not a big fan of rice anyways so thats easy for me. Right now Im pretty much green stuff heavily seasoned with peppers and spices etc. and poultry (turkey, chicken) very occasionally beef (weekends I might KILL a good BURGER to satiate the beast inside) haven't had a good steak in a loooong time (and I love steak). And a sandwich PB&J or turkey if Im hungry mid day...Pretty normal eating just measured.

If you enjoy pasta try "Healthy Harvest Wheat Pasta." 180 cals per serving VS. 210 for most other pastas. Still tastes like any other wheat pasta too.

Guys, I need some advice on protein powders & supplements. I'm working pretty hard at work these days and don't have time during the day to eat full blown meals and keep up my calories so I need to get some form of weight gain formula going.

I'm lactose & wheat intolerant so most powders just run right through me without any benefit, so what do you pro's recommend??

Guys, I need some advice on protein powders & supplements. I'm working pretty hard at work these days and don't have time during the day to eat full blown meals and keep up my calories so I need to get some form of weight gain formula going.

I'm lactose & wheat intolerant so most powders just run right through me without any benefit, so what do you pro's recommend??

Not a pro by any means. You need to check with GNC, or your local suppliment store to find out what you can take.

Creatine may be the best way to go for you, and you may have to stay away from Protein powders due to your condition.

OT-Kinda

What a HUGE difference music makes with workouts. I was jammin to Pantera, Slipknot, and System of a Down this morning, and it definitely adds some push to your workout.

Nuts.... walnuts, pecans, almonds, cashews, etc. High in calories from good fats, low in carbs/sugars, and a quality source of protein. I usually eat 1 cup a day ~800 calories on top of my regular foods. Also good source of calcium and iron which are essential minerals for muscle function.

For people who want to get lean, I highly recommend using a rowing machine. It's absolutely the best metabolic conditioning exercise you can do. It's also much easier on your joints and bones than running and works more muscles than running, swimming or biking. Maybe your gym doesn't have a rowing machine, or if it does you probably never see people use it. Why? Because it's really fcuking hard. Plus, with proper technique, your abs will pop and your back and shoulders will get jacked. I do it two or three times per week; 3x 2km intervals all out, 2x 5k intervals at steady-pace, pyramids (2k-1.5k-1k-0.5k) at high intensity, just to mention a few types of workouts.

Rix, how about protein bars, can you handle those? The one I am eating now is like 33g protein 30g carbs, you could get calories from those

no need to stay away from protein powders!

Isopure protein powder is lactose free.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/nb/isopure.html

Lever pullups are a goal of mine, they are pullups, except you contract so as to pull your body parallel to the ground, and then while holding that position, crank out pullups.

I like to use the term "Doing a Flag-gie" :icon_mrgreen:

Yeh trying to chow down 5000 calories in a day when working is tough...

Thanks guys. I totally forgot about Nutz! I'll pick some up tmrw lunchtime, at least I can nibble on them during the day.

I'll look into some Non Whey/Lactose powders. Anything to do with nutrition is mega bux here in Aus. A simple 5kg tub of powder is around $200!!! Are there any brands I should stay away from or any that you guys recommend?

Rawr which bars do you buy? Did you look at the ingredients or just buy what you thought would be best? I wish I remembered more of my college Bio class so I could fathom what I'm actually eating :lol2:

I just finished my Shoulder workout, shit I can barely move my arms but damn it feels great! :headbang:

I just finished my Shoulder workout, $hit I can barely move my arms but damn it feels great! :headbang:

I love that feeling. I also enjoy after months of working out that your muscles start really being able to take some punishment, and you can do 4-6 exercises per muscle group.

For instance right now on a chest/tricep day like yesterday I do:

Flat Bench or incline Flat Bench (I alternate vs. what I am doing with dumbells):

185 x 10 reps

205 x 8 reps

225 x 4-6 reps

Dumbell Flat Bench or Incline Flat Bench

65lb dumbells x 12 reps (flat bench)

70lb dumbells x 10 reps (same)

75lb dumbells x 8 reps (same)

Tricep pulldowns:

6 sets of 15 reps each-typically in the 60-70lb range.

ABS:

3 sets of 100

When I used to work out all the time, I would add scull crushers, close grip pushups, and dips to that workout. I would barely fit through the sleeves of my shirt when I was done. I was also doing much more weight on each exercise.

For protein bars, I usually go with the highest protein amount and lowest carbs/sugars but sometimes you have to compromise.

I am currently using these http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/met/bars.html

And since I am trying to be lean I eat them in the morning and before/after workout, but not before bed.

if you are trying to bulk up, should be a lot easier, just don't eat carbs before bed and the rest of the day you can do whatever you like, as long as there is protein at every meal.

Rawr, I tend to workout after I get home from work which is around 7pm. By the time I have hit the weights & eaten, it's almost bed time anyway. As long as I have complex carbs I'm fine. It's almost impossible for me to put weight on as it is so no worries in that department, for me, any weight is good weight :lol2:

I love that feeling. I also enjoy after months of working out that your muscles start really being able to take some punishment, and you can do 4-6 exercises per muscle group.

For instance right now on a chest/tricep day like yesterday I do:

Flat Bench or incline Flat Bench (I alternate vs. what I am doing with dumbells):

185 x 10 reps

205 x 8 reps

225 x 4-6 reps

Dumbell Flat Bench or Incline Flat Bench

65lb dumbells x 12 reps (flat bench)

70lb dumbells x 10 reps (same)

75lb dumbells x 8 reps (same)

Tricep pulldowns:

6 sets of 15 reps each-typically in the 60-70lb range.

ABS:

3 sets of 100

When I used to work out all the time, I would add scull crushers, close grip pushups, and dips to that workout. I would barely fit through the sleeves of my shirt when I was done. I was also doing much more weight on each exercise.

F*ck that is some workout brutha!

I'm not even doing half the weight you are and I'm dead by the end of it. This was last nights workout. My rest between sets is around 60-90 secs depending on what I'm working on.

Lying External Rotation 10-12 (Warm up & Strengthen Infraspinatus)

Seated Arnold Press x 10-12

Seated Shoulder Press x 10-12 (No rest between these)

Front Raise x 10-12

Lateral Raise x 10-12

Standing Front Row x 10-12

Rear Delt Row x 10-12

& Repeat with higher weight for the next round.

I stepped up 5kg this week & I'm really feeling it in my traps & neck today, not felt it this high up before. Not sure if thats a good thing or a bad thing!

My chest is a little more varied between Incline/Flat like yourself, but I also throw in some Decline Push-Ups & Weighted Flat Push-Ups as my warm up. Of all the muscle groups I'm working, my chest is the one that is not developing in correlation with the rest...

Here is a strange question for you guys:

Do you feel the muscle pain the day after your workout or the 2nd day? I mostly feel nothing the immediate day after and then get the hit on the 2nd day. So I tend not to work out until the sore feeling has totally gone, which can be 3 days. It may not be the norm but currently it's working great!

Do you feel the muscle pain the day after your workout or the 2nd day? I mostly feel nothing the immediate day after and then get the hit on the 2nd day. So I tend not to work out until the sore feeling has totally gone, which can be 3 days. It may not be the norm but currently it's working great!

Feel it the next day myself or even closer to 2am same day. Some friends feel on the 2nd day. You can work out while still a tiny bit sore - say 90% is gone. To bulk up you need to eat a lot, and you will be growing, but in order not to bulk up too much fat I would recommend not eating carbs before bed, unless its your post workout meal.