Rearview Mirror going bad

FLHOMESITE

My rearview Mirror is going bad. It is showing liquid in the mirror. Is there anyway to take it apart and drain the fluid? Does anyone know how to remove the mirror?

My rearview Mirror is going bad. It is showing liquid in the mirror. Is there anyway to take it apart and drain the fluid? Does anyone know how to remove the mirror?

This problem happens a lot, especially with cars in hotter climates. Usually the seals go. You need the fluid for the mirror to function. Also don't try and fool around with the liquid, as it may (I am not sure if newer mirrors do) contain mercury. Best thing to do is just get a new unit.

Replace it soon

(If Im not mistaken) If it starts leaking the fluid will eat away at whatever it lands on. There's really no fixing the mirror, you just have to buy a new one. Might as well before it messes anything up

Wasnt there a car recently that someone was asking about with all the stereo guagues eaten away from this exact problem?

Yes

It's held on with a strong adhesive, need to get a thin wire between the glass and mount and start sawing along the surface of glass until the adhesive comes free (DO NOT PULL ON IT AWAY FROM GLASS) easy but requires elbow grease.

This problem happens a lot, especially with cars in hotter climates. Usually the seals go. You need the fluid for the mirror to function. Also don't try and fool around with the liquid, as it may (I am not sure if newer mirrors do) contain mercury. Best thing to do is just get a new unit.

My son had a similar problem with his out of warranty BMW M3. The mirror OEM replaced it for free. He found out about it on some BMW forum. Of course BMW said nothing. I'm wondering if contacting the mirror OEM might save you a few $$'s? Look for some OEM info on the mirror assembly and give them a shout. Who knows!

I dont know if it is the same but my mirror(gallardo) was leaking so I removed it and took it to the local Audi parts house and they matched it up with an identical one off of an A4 I believe. The price was around $160.

How do you remove the mirror?

the murci mirror if you unplug the connector all you have you do is turn it to the left and it will clip off. it is common especially in hot wheater. i just did one on a cust murci the other day. buy a new one they are updated and don't fail as much.

Part # 8L0857511 and it should be $168.45 from a dealer according to the Gallardo parts manual....

• 4 weeks later...
Wasnt there a car recently that someone was asking about with all the stereo guagues eaten away from this exact problem?

Anyone know who that was? I can't find the thread and this happened to a friend's Gallardo. He's looking for info from someone that's been through it.

my m3 did it as well

but didnt realise it was the mirror at first just see fluid near the gear stick so i did exactly what you shouldnt do i stuck my finger in it then tasted it yuk not nice then realised the mirror was shot and it had dripped down there lol

my m3 did it as well

but didnt realise it was the mirror at first just see fluid near the gear stick so i did exactly what you shouldnt do i stuck my finger in it then tasted it yuk not nice then realised the mirror was shot and it had dripped down there lol

That sounds like some thing some one from North of the Watford gap would do.

Coming from Essex I would have had my girlfriend taste it.

By the way did it make your stool thick or thin and did it light up in the dark?

Joking by the way

Russell

That sounds like some thing some one from North of the Watford gap would do.

Coming from Essex I would have had my girlfriend taste it.

By the way did it make your stool thick or thin and did it light up in the dark?

Joking by the way

Russell

lol so if your london based are you doing the halloween tunnel run?

• 2 years later...
the murci mirror if you unplug the connector all you have you do is turn it to the left and it will clip off. it is common especially in hot wheater. i just did one on a cust murci the other day. buy a new one they are updated and don't fail as much.

Thanks for the turning to the left suggestion it came off quite easily, but how do you unplug the connector?