Battery recommendations for a 6.0?

US/UK-Diablo

It's time.

I already checked Lamboweb and did a search here but didn't find what I was looking for.

Before I pull it out - does anybody have any recommendations? Or is it exactly the same as any other model year Diablo?

In case any one was wondering.....

What is the difference between RedTop, YellowTop and BlueTop batteries?

RedTop: Use this for normal engine starting where an alternator immediately monitors the state of charge and provides energy to the battery whenever it is needed. This would describe most stock vehicles. Automotive and RV under-hood starting Heavy equipment where starting is the primary function. Diesel powered vehicles with no aftermarket electronics.

YellowTop: Use this when electrical loads are higher than average, or when the discharge cycle is more than typical engine starting, such as vehicles without alternators. This also includes vehicles with significant electrical loads that may exceed the average alternator output (for example aftermarket audio system, GPS, chargers, winch, snowplow, inverters, drag cars). This can also include vehicles that have a lot of electronics from the factory, such as a minivan with power sliding doors and a DVD player, especially if the DVD player is used when the engine isn’t running. Racing vehicles without a charging system (alternator or generator). Dedicated drag racing vehicles. Diesel powered vehicles with aftermarket electronics. Car audio/video applications exceeding 250 watts over the OE system. Vehicles or heavy equipment with inverters, hydraulics, winches or other accessories. Electric vehicles.

BlueTop: The BlueTop starting battery (dark gray case) is to be used when a dedicated starting battery is required and it should never be used for cycling duty. The dual purpose BlueTop (light gray case) can be used for both starting and deep cycling; it is a true deep cycle battery with extremely high cranking power. Trolling motors, marine applications with heavy electrical accessories and RVs should use a dual purpose BlueTop (which is both a starting and deep cycle battery).

Use a BlueTop starting battery for marine applications and RVs when the battery’s only function is engine starting

Note: The difference between BlueTop and YellowTop deep cycle batteries is that BlueTop batteries have both automotive (SAE) posts and threaded posts, while YellowTops (other than D31T) only have SAE posts.

If you ever get confused on the color tops just remember: if it has a dark gray case then it is a starting battery; if it has a light gray case then it is a deep cycle (dual purpose) battery.

Skip the optima at all costs. Use the interstate battery.

Red tops ar junk. Yellow is better. Yellow top is good for about two years. But the truth is Interstate is the way to go. We have used both and have much better luck with the Interstate batterys.

abolfaz is right on.

dammit! i just bought the optima red top for my murcie and had the battery shipped already to the Philippines. oh well we'll see what happens. the original battery was pretty good. i'm still on it after 6 years but it's starting to show signs of weakness.

dammit! i just bought the optima red top

It seems that many members here have had trouble with Optimas. I certainly wouldn't want to steer anyone wrong.

I guess I have been one of the lucky ones. I have used Optimas in many cars. One such car was an economy dragster. That car left the starting line so fast that if you did not have the back of your helmet pressed against the roll cage, your head would smack the roll bar from the acceleration. (0-60 in just over 1 second)

We certainly used and abused the Optima in that car and it never failed us for over 4 years.

Other vehicles that I used Optimas in were my 91 Diablo, a Hearse with a huge stereo, and some other daily drivers.

I hope your luck is as good as mine was.

I have Optima Red Tops in most my cars as the others go bad. Never had a Optima go bad yet. The others I was always replacing including Interstate.

Diehard Platinum. (I tried the others, and they just don't do as well)

From their website:

Longer off-season storage time - show cars & classic cars

Ideal for luxury vehicles with multiple electronic accessories

Plates made of 99.99% pure virgin lead

High purity grade acid held safely in place by glass mats; non-spillable design

Absorbed Glass Mat construction provides mounting flexibility & guarantees longer service life

4-Year Free Replacement; 100-Month Prorated Limited Warranty

• 2 weeks later...