This is awful...

joebiz

It sucks. Okay, everyone take just a second I have something very important to tell you. If we open up our insurance policy to page 17 (+/- 16 pgs) you will find a section called "uninsured/underinsured coverage" This is important. Make sure the box that says "Yes, I want this coverage" is checked. Confirm with your insurance company TODAY that you have this coverage.

I generally just carry liability, comp and collision on my policies but for whatever reason when we renewed our policy I added Un/Under insured to all of our cars. This policy has the effect of basically treating the entire claim, from my end, like the other driver (who is uninsured) has the max state limits of liability. And no hickey against my claim history, either.

Whew. That might have been the best $200 I've ever spent.

That area is dangerous, I always pay really close attention through there. 620/Hudson Bend and 620/Volente is skitchy too. Basically, 620 is skitchy. Basically, Austin is skitchy.

I believe under/uninsured coverage is for personal injury only. Your collision coverage covers the entirety of the property damage to your vehicle regardless of fault or the other party's level of coverage.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I believe under/uninsured coverage is for personal injury only. Your collision coverage covers the entirety of the property damage to your vehicle regardless of fault or the other party's level of coverage.

That's what I would think too.

QUOTE (makethemsaywowee @ Jan 2 2010, 10:06 AM)

That's what I would think too.

This is not the case. Under & uninsured coverage handle both.

In my case I have:

Bodily Injury $250,000.00 per each person

$500,000.00 per each occurrence

Property damage $300,000.00 per each occurrence

Uninsured Property damage $300,000.00 each accident

The uninsured coverage cost me $13.80 per year on the daily driver and $9.50 for the Countach.

One would be either very foolish or very lazy not to have this coverage.

If my insurer would offer higher limits I would take them, however this the the most they can do. I have been with them for over 25 years now and do not want to change companies. For what it is worth I deal with JC Taylor out of Upper Darby PA (800) 345-8290.

Vic

This is not the case. Under & uninsured coverage handle both.

In my case I have:

Bodily Injury $250,000.00 per each person

$500,000.00 per each occurrence

Property damage $300,000.00 per each occurrence

Uninsured Property damage $300,000.00 each accident

The uninsured coverage cost me $13.80 per year on the daily driver and $9.50 for the Countach.

One would be either very foolish or very lazy not to have this coverage.

If my insurer would offer higher limits I would take them, however this the the most they can do. I have been with them for over 25 years now and do not want to change companies. For what it is worth I deal with JC Taylor out of Upper Darby PA (800) 345-8290.

Vic

Under/uninsured covers damage to your car only if the following conditions are true:

-the other party is at fault

-you do not have collision coverage

Since joebiz opted for collision coverage, he is already completely covered (less deductible) for damage to his vehicle regardless of the terms of the rest of his policy. Under/uninsured property damage coverage does not apply here. In this case, the extra $200 does not buy him any additional indemnification.

Under/uninsured covers damage to your car only if the following conditions are true:

-the other party is at fault

-you do not have collision coverage

Since joebiz opted for collision coverage, he is already completely covered (less deductible) for damage to his vehicle regardless of the terms of the rest of his policy. Under/uninsured property damage coverage does not apply here. In this case, the extra $200 does not buy him any additional indemnification.

This is incorrect. At least on my policy. Un/Under insured covers collisions that were caused by drivers who don't have adequate insurance. In any event, sounds like we all need to take a close look at our insurance policies and verify they cover what we believe they cover. :icon_thumleft:

Here is the synopsis of the policy.

Uninsured/Underinsured Motorists Property Damage

Uninsured/Underinsured Motorists Property Damage helps protect your vehicle if your vehicle is damage by a driver who does not have any and in some case not enough insurance. (Each state regulates what options are available)

I would suppose this 'under-insured clause' varies from state to state. But....... now you have to check into whether or not your insurance policy is "actual cash value" or "declared value" coverage. That will determine what the true cost is going to be (I think)?

This is incorrect. At least on my policy. Un/Under insured covers collisions that were caused by drivers who don't have adequate insurance. In any event, sounds like we all need to take a close look at our insurance policies and verify they cover what we believe they cover. :icon_thumleft:

Here is the synopsis of the policy.

Uninsured/Underinsured Motorists Property Damage

Uninsured/Underinsured Motorists Property Damage helps protect your vehicle if your vehicle is damage by a driver who does not have any and in some case not enough insurance. (Each state regulates what options are available)

You are correct that un/underinsured covers damage to your vehicle in situations where the at-fault party lacks sufficient coverage to make you whole. So does collision coverage. Once you have collision coverage, you can spin into a wall in the rain, rear-end someone, or get rear-ended and be guaranteed a payout in full for repairs or replacement even without un/underinsured motorist. You were already fully covered for situations like this without spending the $200.

Check the terms of your collision coverage to determine whether that is the case.

Seems like it varies from state to state. Since Florida is a no-fault state I believe collision covers your car no matter who caused it. The un/underinsured coverage is for personal injury protection.

I don't worry about myself doing something stupid. Although not impossible, I rate it unlikely.

I worry about the idiot, texting, squawking on the phone, ect... rear ending me and only having $25K in coverage.

These people are the ones YOU HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT as they have a piece of shit car and no assets and or life.

Get the coverage guys it is relatively cheap.

I do not understand US insurance and uninsured motorists. I live here.

Best friend got rear-ended by an uninsured motorist. His car totaled, and he was slightly injured. Could not collect a dime from the guy. Same thing happened to his dad the same year. The cars were nothing special, but they never got a dime from the uninsured.

So my friend has a coworker who is about 20. No insurance. Shows up to work freaking out because he crashed into somebody, hurt them, totaled their car and he has no insurance. He is panicking. My buddy tells him "Do nothing, ignore the insurance company and everything that has to do with the accident, nothing will happen." and to my shock, he was right. The kid ignored all calls from the insurance company, and never did a thing. The insurance company dropped it after a couple months.

This was a few years ago, but the coverage is what pays for the uninsured. From what I was told, it is so much trouble and cost for insurance companies to chase and get money from these deadbeats, they don't bother most of the time. Driving without insurance is a fine. An absurd number of people here take this risk of gong without. In most cases, if they get caught or get in an accident, nothing happens to them as far as I can tell.... Except it makes it harder for them to get insurance.

A lot of people I know who have had run ins with the uninsured never follow up because the legal costs out weigh the potential settlements.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I have not heard of anyone getting anything from an uninsured motorist. Maybe if more money is at stake things are different?

Joebiz, Do you know if anything has happened to the guy that hit you? Is he just walking away and looking for a new used vehicle?

Best friend got rear-ended by an uninsured motorist. His car totaled, and he was slightly injured. Could not collect a dime from the guy. Same thing happened to his dad the same year. The cars were nothing special, but they never got a dime from the uninsured.

So my friend has a coworker who is about 20. No insurance. Shows up to work freaking out because he crashed into somebody, hurt them, totaled their car and he has no insurance. He is panicking. My buddy tells him "Do nothing, ignore the insurance company and everything that has to do with the accident, nothing will happen." and to my shock, he was right. The kid ignored all calls from the insurance company, and never did a thing. The insurance company dropped it after a couple months.

This was a few years ago, but the coverage is what pays for the uninsured. From what I was told, it is so much trouble and cost for insurance companies to chase and get money from these deadbeats, they don't bother most of the time. Driving without insurance is a fine. An absurd number of people here take this risk of gong without. In most cases, if they get caught or get in an accident, nothing happens to them as far as I can tell.... Except it makes it harder for them to get insurance.

A lot of people I know who have had run ins with the uninsured never follow up because the legal costs out weigh the potential settlements.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I have not heard of anyone getting anything from an uninsured motorist. Maybe if more money is at stake things are different?

Joebiz, Do you know if anything has happened to the guy that hit you? Is he just walking away and looking for a new used vehicle?

Uhhh, even though no one collectred a dime from that kid because he wouldnt answer, he probably couldnt have been reached because he should be in jail. Or at least without a license for a long time. I thought you go to jail for getting into an accident uninsured. I know they at least take your license.

Uhhh, even though no one collectred a dime from that kid because he wouldnt answer, he probably couldnt have been reached because he should be in jail. Or at least without a license for a long time. I thought you go to jail for getting into an accident uninsured. I know they at least take your license.

Most people who don't bother with insurance also don't care about driving without a licence.

I do have uninsured/underinsured on my policy and think you have to have it by law in North Carolina. .

I also carry an umbrella policy that kicks in if I have an accident and am sued for more than my own coverage limits.

Russell

Just pulled this up

UM/UIM Coverage Now Mandatory

Drivers in North Carolina used to have a choice whether to add uninsured (UM) and underinsured (UIM) motorist coverage to their auto insurance policies. Not anymore. Changes that went into effect in January 2009 made it mandatory for all drivers to carry UM insurance and some drivers to carry UIM insurance as part of their regular car insurance policy.

Uninsured motorist coverage helps cover the losses when a driver is involved in a hit-and-run accident or an accident caused by a driver with no insurance. There are two types of uninsured coverage: uninsured coverage for bodily injury (UM-BI) and uninsured coverage for property damage (UM-PD). North Carolina drivers are required to carry both.

Underinsured motorist coverage, on the other hand, helps cover the costs associated with bodily injury when someone is in a car crash caused by a driver with too little insurance. For example, say a driver is hit in a head-on collision and suffers massive injuries totaling more than $100,000 in medical bills and the responsible driver only has minimum liability coverage in the amount of $30,000. The injured driver then could seek recovery under their own UIM policy for their remaining medical expenses, up to coverage limits.

Currently, only drivers who carry greater than minimum liability insurance qualify to purchase UIM coverage. The minimum liability requirements in North Carolina are $30,000 per person, $60,000 per accident and $25,000 property damage, or 30/60/25. However, it is important to remember than any driver can and should add UIM coverage to their policy.

Policies that are solely for commercial vehicles or fleets are exempt from the UM/UIM coverage requirements.

Coverage Requirements

Below is a list of the UM coverage requirements and UIM coverage requirements, if applicable.

- UM - Bodily Injury: equal to the highest limits of bodily injury liability for any one vehicle on the insurance policy. The maximum the driver may carry is $1,000,000 per person/$1,000,000 per accident. The minimum the driver may carry is $30,000 per person/$60,000 per accident.

- UM - Property Damage: equal to the highest limits of property damage liability for any one vehicle on the insurance policy. The driver cannot elect greater amounts than this for UM-property damage coverage. The minimum coverage is $25,000 per accident.

- UIM: equal to the highest limits of bodily injury liability for any one vehicle on the insurance policy. The maximum the driver may carry is $1,000,000 per person/$1,000,000 per accident. The minimum the driver may carry is $30,000 per person/$60,000 per accident.

State law requires insurance companies to give notice to their policyholders at the time they begin a new policy and upon each renewal of their policy of their right to purchase greater or lesser UM and UIM coverage. This notice generally will be included on the insurance policy's declarations page.

The Importance of UM/UIM Coverage

Many North Carolina drivers may have not been happy to see UM/UIM coverage become mandatory in the state, especially if their auto insurance rates increased as a result. But the truth is that this is a state law that will help people, even if they have to take a small hit in the pocketbook.

Even though North Carolina law requires all drivers to carry at least minimum liability coverage on their vehicles, there is still a high number of drivers who willfully choose to disobey this law. All it takes is one accident by a driver with no insurance or not enough insurance to financially devastate a family. Even if the driver is fortunate enough to walk away from the crash with little to no physical injuries, the driver still faces the burden of paying vehicle repair expenses out-of-pocket. And if the accident did result in serious injury, then the driver faces the daunting prospect of footing the bill for his or her own hospital bills, doctor bills, medications, therapy and any other necessary treatment on top of the lost wages from work.

Liability insurance only covers the damage you may cause to someone else and does nothing to protect you. UM/UIM coverage is a way for drivers to take action to protect themselves. The overall expense of having these coverages added to a car insurance policy is minimal compared to the costs a driver would face without having the added coverage.

Just another example of WTF is wrong with this country!

If you are responsible and have assets you better protect them yourself.

For if you do not, someone that is irresposible and has no assets will sue you for them and or damage them and walk away scot free.

One day the good people in this country are going to have enough of it. Make sure you have enough ammo for that day. Vic

PS: A big sorry to the original poster in this misfortune, I'm glad you didn't get hurt physically.

That is is the crazy point I am making. I hear about accidents involving uninsured drivers and NOTHING ever seems to happen to them. If the person hit by them has uninsured motorist coverage, they get their car fixed, and if not, they are SOL. That seems to be how every story like this goes. I would LOVE to hear of it going down a different way, but I never do.

I agree, the kid I mentioned should be in jail, but the point is, he went about his day like nothing happened and nothing ever did.

Joebiz is smart and lucky he covered himself!

In the off-chance that anybody cares about the resolution I wanted to post it up.

1) The car is certainly totaled. Even without getting into the unknowns such as the electrical surge and the HID system, or the transmission grenade -the estimate was well into the 100% of the value range. Additionally there was reason to believe that the entire wiring harness needed to be replaced.

2) My insurance company feels confident that they have some leverage with the other driver's insurance company. They can't disclose the details, but investigators for my insurance company have a high level of confidence that subrogation is going to go in their favor, to 100% coverage.

3) We received some mind-numbing bids on the salvage. I'll refrain from posting them, but suffice it to say they are absolutely incredible.

4) USAA is a top-notch company, in every way. These people are professional, considerate, quick and thorough. Less than 2 weeks and we've got a great bead on resolution. Hooray USAA.

In the off-chance that anybody cares about the resolution I wanted to post it up.

3) We received some mind-numbing bids on the salvage. I'll refrain from posting them, but suffice it to say they are absolutely incredible.

Mind numbing high or low?

Good Discussion on the Insurance! Reminding all of us, We really need to look into our insurance policy carefully.

Here is my story In New Zealand. I got sandwhiched once( four car accident, I was the third car) in a car that only under my ownership for 2 days, and I didn't even have the chance to put insurance on it.

I was not too freaked out because the car worth Nothing, but still worried abit. It Turned out the girl who hit the Ute behind me got full insurance. And the insurance company paid me the market value of the car, which was more than twice of what I paid for it LOL!!!

General insurance Policy in NZ is very simple.

Third Party- Insurance Won't Cover Your Loss if the accident is at your fault. they will cover anything You HIT to about $500,000 NZ worth I think.

If the acciden't Is Not your fault, You will be covered Fully, but the other party has to have at least a Third Party Insurance. However, the Insurance compay will still pay you up to $3000 NZ if the other party is uninsured.

Thrid Party Fire and Theft - based on Third party policy, when there is fire and Theft, your car would be fully covered.

Full Cover Insurance - (including Fire and Theft)- Basically covers You and the other parties(got at least third party insurance) , No matter who's fault is it. well unless you were drink and driving or doing anything stupid then they won't cover you.

However,( unsure about this) I think the Insurance Compay will not cover you fully if the other party is uninsured. You need to have another sub insurance policy here If you wish to be covered fully.

I think if the damage is more than 50% of the cars worth, then they will pay you out fully.

BTW, Nothing has to be insured in NZ, so most Cheap cars on the road ain't insured at all. I do have third party insurance, but I know none of my friends cars have Insuranced ><!

Becareful out there guys!

1) The car is certainly totaled. Even without getting into the unknowns such as the electrical surge and the HID system, or the transmission grenade -the estimate was well into the 100% of the value range. Additionally there was reason to believe that the entire wiring harness needed to be replaced.

2) My insurance company feels confident that they have some leverage with the other driver's insurance company. They can't disclose the details, but investigators for my insurance company have a high level of confidence that subrogation is going to go in their favor, to 100% coverage.

4) USAA is a top-notch company, in every way. These people are professional, considerate, quick and thorough. Less than 2 weeks and we've got a great bead on resolution. Hooray USAA.

Thank you for the update, we are all concerned and wish you the best outcome. Although your thread went off on a bit of a tangent I believe there was a bunch of good information shared amongst everyone. Please keep us informed and again best of luck. Sincerely Vic

Sounds like the insurance company is dealing with it really well. Glad its going smoothly. Did they give you a time frame for completion and you receiving a cheque?

I was in a car that only under my ownership for 2 days, and I didn't even have the chance to put insurance on it.

A new car I didnt get round to putting insurance on would sit in my garage... no excuse to drive an uninsured car; new to you or otherwise. :eusa_naughty: