Considering a TT upgrade....

Matador74

I've had my O4' for a while and I'm bored with it's power level. I found this forum and was quite surprised that many others have turboed their cars. I used to own a turbo viper, so I'm pretty familiar with what I'm looking for; raw power, and reliabilty. I recently visited a local shop that has been working with turbos and lambos for a long time. I am considering on pulling the trigger. Comments? Suggestions?

Check out Lambopower sponsor, www.heffnersperformance.com ask for Jason who will explain your options, which are a built engine w/turbos or a stand alone bolt on kit. The built engine option costs more, but offers an extra level of power/reliablity/safety plus a WARRANTY. Heffner was the first tuner to build a turbo system for Gallardos, around 4 years ago, and has built many since then. Several Lpower members have sent their Gs to his shop, many are making over 1000hp. I had mine done there 2.5 years ago, no problems, very reliable, fast, and a LOT of fun. Highly recommended! :icon_thumleft:

Check out Lambopower sponsor, www.heffnersperformance.com ask for Jason who will explain your options, which are a built engine w/turbos or a stand alone bolt on kit. The built engine option costs more, but offers an extra level of power/reliablity/safety plus a WARRANTY. Heffner was the first tuner to build a turbo system for Gallardos, around 4 years ago, and has built many since then. Several Lpower members have sent their Gs to his shop, many are making over 1000hp. I had mine done there 2.5 years ago, no problems, very reliable, fast, and a LOT of fun. Highly recommended! :icon_thumleft:

:iamwithstupid:

I havent driven a Heffner car, but the one thing I do know is Kevin and the guys at UGR are extremely easy going, and great to talk to and work with. Check out the autoweek article in the general section of the forum. I drove the car by UGR and the kit and quality is what separates it from everything else. They had the car "turned down" because of the cold temperatures but it was still as fast as any road car Ive ever driven. They are great guys, and build one hell of a machine! Call Kevin at UGR and tell him Graham sent you, he will treat you like gold!

I'm not really looking to ship my car out. I would rather be able to check progress in person, and if things go wrong be able to knock on someone's door. I know how these things go. I looked around the forum trying to get a feel for pricing of these other places, and it appears that a lot of people have had the run around. One guys build ended up at 108K, and it sounds like it started at 45ish.

On a side note I just looked at the UGR site and they aren't even using a water cooled turbo... I'm not real interested in short cuts, money isn't an issue; I want it done right. This car isn't going to be a garage queen, or driving grandma to the grocery store...

I'm not really looking to ship my car out. I would rather be able to check progress in person, and if things go wrong be able to knock on someone's door. I know how these things go. I looked around the forum trying to get a feel for pricing of these other places, and it appears that a lot of people have had the run around. One guys build ended up at 108K, and it sounds like it started at 45ish.

On a side note I just looked at the UGR site and they aren't even using a water cooled turbo... I'm not real interested in short cuts, money isn't an issue; I want it done right. This car isn't going to be a garage queen, or driving grandma to the grocery store...

I agree shipping the car out is a PITA, but in this case, well worth it. The shops you mentioned don't appear to have much experience with Gallardos, and the install is MUCH more complicated than just strapping on a pair of turbos. I have seen a couple of duds come out of first time shops, in fact Heffner Performance recently redid a spyder TT that was completely half assed by a rookie outfit. Replacing an engine runs around 50k, so you want the job done right, by an experienced tuner. Feel free to pm me with your number if you want to talk about it, or invest a few minutes of your time and give Jason a call.

Not trying to sell anything just want the facts out about the new air cooled turbo's.

Matador74,

All of our Underground Racing bolt on and standard Gallardo builds come with the water cooled Precision/Garrett dual ball bearing billet turbo's as seen below in the picture.

On our (93 oct) pump gas 1000 WHP versions and Race versions we use the new Precision air cooled dual ball bearing billet wheel turbo charges with a custom specification turbo for Underground Racing. These are NOT the old school JOURNAL bearing turbo's.

These new units feature an air-cooled, dual ball bearing center housing rotating assembly. Dual, angular contact hybrid ceramic ball bearings are utilized for maximum durability and an increased thrust load. Unlike

many other ball bearing turbochargers on the market, Precision's bearing system does not require the use of water cooling (ceramic is a more heat tolerant material, so there is no need for water-cooling provisions).

These units are fully rebuild able with component level parts, which allows for less costly rebuilds in the event of an incident.

With all that being said all of the Underground Racing TT systems come with a 2 year 24,000 mile warranty that including the new air cooled turbo's.

Thanks,

Kevin @ Underground Racing

Are you doing Grahams car?

Scott

Yes and it will be the 1000+ WHP PUMP GAS Version.

Thought so, he has been sending me messages to put my Murci on his truck as we live close to one another........hummm, decisions, decisions.

Greater Phoenix Area; Arizona..

If you dont want to ship it too far, maybe SP can do it as I believe they are doing Heffner Kit installs IIRC. :icon_thumleft:

whats the cost for the built motor kit with heffner performance? just curious.. they are closer to me than say underground racing since i'm located in miami, fl.... thanks for your help

:iamwithstupid: dont take any chances with something like this.

Agreed with all the posts above...with something like this, def. use trusted shops that have done it before and are proven. The cost of shipping a car to the experts is nothing compared to the possible drama that may occur with a local shop that doesn't know what to do with tuning.

Agreed with all the posts above...with something like this, def. use trusted shops that have done it before and are proven. The cost of shipping a car to the experts is nothing compared to the possible drama that may occur with a local shop that doesn't know what to do with tuning.

I spoke with them about the tuning and they are currently doing a EFI box on an old countach and having a diablo ecu reverse engineered. They also do a lot of heavy ecu tuning on other cars, motecs etc. The more I email them the better it sounds. One of the guys has a pretty good rep on here it appears, there is one guy that swears by him. I guess he used to be on an F1 team and head of Lamborghini North America.

Not really in a big hurry though. SP sounds like an option too as they aren't that far away.

Matador,

that is probably your best option if you want to be close to your car. They have been turboing cars since I have been in pampers too.

UGR, DLM, and Heffner are in the Southeast.

I spoke with them about the tuning and they are currently doing a EFI box on an old countach and having a diablo ecu reverse engineered. They also do a lot of heavy ecu tuning on other cars, motecs etc. The more I email them the better it sounds. One of the guys has a pretty good rep on here it appears, there is one guy that swears by him. I guess he used to be on an F1 team and head of Lamborghini North America.

Not really in a big hurry though. SP sounds like an option too as they aren't that far away.

I don't want to discredit someone I don't know, but unless you can get a bunch of ppl who have had that shop TT their G's, I'd still take the safe/proven route...and again, that's just me since I have been through shops that sound great on the phone and on paper, but take months to do your car and it comes back with issues...

If you are in need of something closer, SP Engineering does have a very good rep.

I'm not really looking to ship my car out. I would rather be able to check progress in person, and if things go wrong be able to knock on someone's door.

Well you could always take a vacation in Sarasota, watch your build as it happens, and hang out on the beach at the same time.

For example, Heffner Performance just did a 6 day build on a twin turbo Ford GT with the owner watching the whole process.

Maybe give Jason a call and see if he could do this for you with your lambo. :)

Here is link to the 6 day build and the owners testimony...

http://www.heffnersperformance.com/ford_gt...turbo_build.htm