My LP670-4 SV is finally in the air!

TommyJames

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why in the world would anyone in their right mind want to lower an SV? Sounds to me like a lack of driving experience, purely to look cool with no other benefit. The LP640 Roadster is slightly lower than the coup and regardless of where I've taken the car, I've occasionally scraped. And someone thinks lowering an SV is a good idea? After all the testing the factory does to get the car as areodynamically clean as possible, with the new far more complex nose that can easily scrap, while still making it drivable on most roads? Wow, this is a bad idea. How many miles does this person have under his belt in a Murcielago of any kind?

I completely agree with modding a street car to mess with the drivability. I love the looks of lowering cars when they are parked but I drive my stuff. I wouldnt lower it either, and rarely lower my toys unless I can still drive it as much as I do. All your car needs imo is tint but since your not doing that I wouldnt touch it. And like Ive said before, do with your cars what you want and screw everyone else.

The SV looks awesome!!!!!

too much space between the top of the tyre and bottom of the guard.i wouldn't think so. and looking cool in a SV is a given considering what a bad ass car it is.as said too much gap. dropping the car 10mm will make zero difference in performance good or bad. skid plates are being made for the front end.

mega

I'm sorry, but that's your opinion. Feel free to lower your car as you see fit. Tommy chose not to lower his and personally I think it looks great as is.

I'm sorry, but that's your opinion. Feel free to lower your car as you see fit. Tommy chose not to lower his and personally I think it looks great as is.

Mate don't stress, and no need to be sorry, we are lovers of the brand. And I'm not saying Tommy needs to lower his. In my opinion the car needs lowering by a very small amount. Look at the 430 when it came out, it was set way too high. Same goes for the 458.

Mate don't stress, and no need to be sorry, we are lovers of the brand. And I'm not saying Tommy needs to lower his. In my opinion the car needs lowering by a very small amount. Look at the 430 when it came out, it was set way too high. Same goes for the 458.

That's what you don't understand. You CAN'T lower it and not scrape the hell out of the bottom of the car. Whoever is doing this has little to no real experience with the car. You think front skid plates are enough? That alone says no experience in my book. Did you ever consider the car getting high-centered while cresting a driveway? Or straddling a highly cambered road at high speed?

I've seen people do some strange things with Lamborghinis because they think they look cool, and I always think about how those same people are not the ones who really drive their cars. Wait until you run over a fist-sized rock and tear the hell out of the bottom protective sheeting. And yes, lowering the car does impact aerodynamics considerably but with a cost. They lowered the Roadster something like a 1/2" over the coup to make up for the additional drag of the open top. Even then, Lamborghini themselves realized there was a huge penalty if they went any lower. Again, this is a horrible idea. Furthermore, at high speeds, it's common to weight and unweight the car with significant down force. What are you going to do at the bottom of the spring/strut travel? How much room then?

If this was going to be a track car, sure, then it makes a tiny bit of sense. Tiny because it still messes with what Lamborghini setup for the car. There is a real lack of appreciation for the amount of testing that Lamborghini does to make their cars as fast and as useful as possible. The ride height isn't arbitrary it's for a reason.

I'm curious, how many miles has this individual driven a Murcielago and in what environment and speeds?

Those cars sit high because they don't have a lift system. There are lots of places I can park where Ferraris can't go without scraping.

What's with the multiposting in the last hour?

MODERATORS- something went wrong here and it posted multiples of the same response. Sorry.

Database hiccup... It's all good!

Stunning car. Congratulations! :icon_super:

Allow me to introduce you to the perfect luggage to complement your car. (It "performance" is on par with your SV.)

ligllow04.jpg

Stunning car. Congratulations! :icon_super:

Allow me to introduce you to the perfect luggage to complement your car. (It "performance" is on par with your SV.)

Looks too big. I need something about the size of one of the wheels.

Actually it's not that bad if you remove the front "child proof" shelf/bucket. Then the space is useful.

Looks too big. I need something about the size of one of the wheels.

Comes in 3 sizes: the smallest is 25" X 17.5" X10.5" :)

Comes in 3 sizes: the smallest is 25" X 17.5" X10.5" :)

Not sure it would fit. I'll have to measure. I typically use soft luggage for a car like this...and pack light.

Here is the actual gap with the SV. Now, consider it lowered another 10mm, (why that makes a difference considering the cost doesn't make sense to me either). Then add additional thickness for a skid plate that will actually do something. Are you going to further protect the entire bottom of the car? Now, when you're done with all that draw a straight line from the bottom of the tire to the contact point under the skid pad and you will see how little clearance you actually have. Keep in mind, the SV sticks out more in front so you have more overhang, thus you're already reducing the clearance angle.

DSC_9291.JPG

That's what you don't understand. You CAN'T lower it and not scrape the hell out of the bottom of the car. Whoever is doing this has little to no real experience with the car. You think front skid plates are enough? That alone says no experience in my book. Did you ever consider the car getting high-centered while cresting a driveway? Or straddling a highly cambered road at high speed?

I've seen people do some strange things with Lamborghinis because they think they look cool, and I always think about how those same people are not the ones who really drive their cars. Wait until you run over a fist-sized rock and tear the hell out of the bottom protective sheeting. And yes, lowering the car does impact aerodynamics considerably but with a cost. They lowered the Roadster something like a 1/2" over the coup to make up for the additional drag of the open top. Even then, Lamborghini themselves realized there was a huge penalty if they went any lower. Again, this is a horrible idea. Furthermore, at high speeds, it's common to weight and unweight the car with significant down force. What are you going to do at the bottom of the spring/strut travel? How much room then?

If this was going to be a track car, sure, then it makes a tiny bit of sense. Tiny because it still messes with what Lamborghini setup for the car. There is a real lack of appreciation for the amount of testing that Lamborghini does to make their cars as fast and as useful as possible. The ride height isn't arbitrary it's for a reason.

I'm curious, how many miles has this individual driven a Murcielago and in what environment and speeds?

Hey Tommy,

I have to respectfully disagree with you here on a few points.

(1) I have had my car lowered 3/4" front and rear for over 4 years and the only time I have only ever scraped on a flatbed when I also had a flat tire and getting out of a driveway (where the exit was different than the entrance). If you take the right angle, the isn't much you CAN'T get out of WITHOUT scraping. I have what I would bet is the worst conceivable driveway imaginable for an exotic car at my house in Pittsburgh from the 'curb-like' entrance to the crown at the top; if I can get my car up and down it, anything remotely normal is a breeze.

(2) I have had my car over 200MPH several times and drive it quite 'aggressively' on a routine basis; the lowering makes a dramatic improvement in handling.

(3) The ONLY reason Lamborghini doesn't have them lower from the factory is because of pedestrian impact laws in Europe; were it not for that, they would all be closer to the tire as they should be.

(4) Every Lambo I have ever seen at stock height was sitting at either highest, or damn near the highest suspension setting on the adjustment range showing that it was not 'designed' to be there. If you lowered them to the 'sweet spot', you will be sitting at leats 1/2" lower to the ground.

Hope this helps.

Yes, Roy has another business. As for the most heavily optioned car, he couldn't possibly know that, but if you go with the big sticker on the side and all the options on the list, they are not over $500k, they are right at $500k. He was talking about buying a second small wing so who knows how he's making that claim. I believe the only difference between our two cars is I didn't want the big SV sticker on the side, and the color. That SV sticker is about a $2,000 option. Because Roy's also in the car business he likely pays a different price and definitely doesn't pay sales tax on the trade in on each car, so he's not paying the highest total price for an SV. Roy's never out to pay the highest price on a car. As for his cars, you may want to post the question somewhere where he can respond on his own and clarify.

Roy knows the Lamborghini market very well and believes that SV values will become very strong because of planned limitations on future production of the LP640 and and end to the limited production on the SV. He also believes the SV is the best car Lamborghini's ever made so he's making his bet. There are a few of us who have looked closely at the market and think the SV will do just fine compared to other cars.

I didn't meet Roy until the summer of 2008 and long after all the fighting that went on here. Some love him, others not so much. He's always been nice to me and he does do a lot of really decent things for the Northwest car community. He does sell a hell of a lot of cars, especially Lamborghinis and he's brought a lot of people into the brand and that's a good thing.

good points

i think, and Roy confirmed it, that lamborghini built less SV than planned so this should help the car

i too think it will do well

Hey Tommy,

I have to respectfully disagree with you here on a few points.

(1) I have had my car lowered 3/4" front and rear for over 4 years and the only time I have only ever scraped on a flatbed when I also had a flat tire and getting out of a driveway (where the exit was different than the entrance). If you take the right angle, the isn't much you CAN'T get out of WITHOUT scraping. I have what I would bet is the worst conceivable driveway imaginable for an exotic car at my house in Pittsburgh from the 'curb-like' entrance to the crown at the top; if I can get my car up and down it, anything remotely normal is a breeze.

(2) I have had my car over 200MPH several times and drive it quite 'aggressively' on a routine basis; the lowering makes a dramatic improvement in handling.

(3) The ONLY reason Lamborghini doesn't have them lower from the factory is because of pedestrian impact laws in Europe; were it not for that, they would all be closer to the tire as they should be.

(4) Every Lambo I have ever seen at stock height was sitting at either highest, or damn near the highest suspension setting on the adjustment range showing that it was not 'designed' to be there. If you lowered them to the 'sweet spot', you will be sitting at leats 1/2" lower to the ground.

Hope this helps.

Hi David,

You have a lot of experience so you know your car. In the case of the Roadster, it comes lower than the coup. I scraped several times at high speed when the car first unweighted then weighted. There was a Scud directly in front of me and it made an awful sound when it bottomed out too. I've scraped just because of the camber in the road both here in Washington State and in the LA area. I've had the underside of the front end repaired three times because of scrapes as I wanted my car to always look perfect. US and European specification cars are different so I doubt if they use the same height given then are so focused on US laws and road conditions here. I had 10,000 miles on my roadster when I sold it last week so I'd guess the high speed scrapes occurred every 3,000 miles on average and there is no way to avoid them. As for entrance and exit scrapes, even when I think I have it down, there are times when I can't see the dip, such as a depressed manhole or drain cover, etc. Also, the SV has a longer nose by several inches plus the new front end on top of the extended nose. I have no idea if the car is lower than a standard Murc. You may be able to look at the photo I posted and tell from that.

Because this nose is a lot more complex, I really don't want to go through the hassle of repairing the underside and match two colors of paint. I also don't know if the Murc came in higher than the LP640 coup. Is your car pre or post lift system?

good points

i think, and Roy confirmed it, that lamborghini built less SV than planned so this should help the car

i too think it will do well

Really ?

Can you do the rock trick, at the deep end of the pool ?

It's amazing where I've found my photos reposted so far. Sites in Korea, wherever this site is: www.elaborare.info and two other foreign sites that I don't recognize the language :)

It's amazing where I've found my photos reposted so far. Sites in Korea, wherever this site is: www.elaborare.info and two other foreign sites that I don't recognize the language :)

Thats kind of cool. I have one on my background too. :icon_thumleft:

Hey Tommy

Your SV looks absolutely great in that colour. Congratulations on getting the best version of the Murci and i hope you get to enjoy it to the fullest.

As far as retaining its value, there is no way of telling how the market will react to the car. I suspect it will initially depreciate just like any other modern Lambo short of the Reventon,maybe at a slower pace but it will depreciate nonetheless.

Select collector cars are holding up really well and some are setting new records and the SV is undoubtedly the ultimate Murci but it is a Murci and the base car has been around for quite a while now. Somewhere along the line it will become a collectable but based on the reaction i have seen amongst my collector friends and associates, there just isn't a lineup to buy anything in the super luxury segment of cars, real estate, jewelry etc etc.

Now that market will never go away but it is very soft at the present as you are well aware.

Anyway, i am sure that is not a huge concern of yours and should not stop you from enjoying your car as it is stunning.

Time will tell.

Hey Tommy

Your SV looks absolutely great in that colour. Congratulations on getting the best version of the Murci and i hope you get to enjoy it to the fullest.

As far as retaining its value, there is no way of telling how the market will react to the car. I suspect it will initially depreciate just like any other modern Lambo short of the Reventon,maybe at a slower pace but it will depreciate nonetheless.

Select collector cars are holding up really well and some are setting new records and the SV is undoubtedly the ultimate Murci but it is a Murci and the base car has been around for quite a while now. Somewhere along the line it will become a collectable but based on the reaction i have seen amongst my collector friends and associates, there just isn't a lineup to buy anything in the super luxury segment of cars, real estate, jewelry etc etc.

Now that market will never go away but it is very soft at the present as you are well aware.

Anyway, i am sure that is not a huge concern of yours and should not stop you from enjoying your car as it is stunning.

Time will tell.

Yea, hard to say what's going to happen. I bought it to drive it anyway. I wanted this color because I like it first. The fact that it's rare is interesting, but wasn't what motivated me. I'll bring it to as many runs as I can squeeze into my schedule.