One of the BEST books I have ever read...

Lightning

Its not like they could have hauled ass out of there. They were in a remote section, dropped off then hiked to their location for a few days. The Taliban were after them something like 45 minutes after the shepherds left, there was no way any Military aircraft or vehicle could have gotten to them before then. They were pretty much in a lose lose either way.

They could have retreated to a better position and hid out. The place they went forward to allowed them to be surrounded.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

WARNING: HERE BE SPOILERS.

The best part IMO of the story is that he was taken in and sheltered by an entire Afghan village, who shed him from the Taliban and nursed him until he could be picked up by the Rangers. Goes to show you that not everyone out there is a bad guy like most people in our country tend to think!

This is partially true. I cant remember everything so Im just saying more or less what I remember so I may be a little wrong. When the Taliban came into the village they didnt really chase them away. They let the Taliban come into the home he was being kept. Didnt they have to pretty much let him go too?

Yes if it wasnt for those Afghans he wouldnt be alive but they didnt completely help him either if I recall. And the first ones that started this incident were pretty bad too. The Taliban has a tight grip on the Afghan people. I wouldnt say they are all bad but they arent exactly good either.

This is partially true. I cant remember everything so Im just saying more or less what I remember so I may be a little wrong. When the Taliban came into the village they didnt really chase them away. They let the Taliban come into the home he was being kept. Didnt they have to pretty much let him go too?

Yes if it wasnt for those Afghans he wouldnt be alive but they didnt completely help him either if I recall. And the first ones that started this incident were pretty bad too. The Taliban has a tight grip on the Afghan people. I wouldnt say they are all bad but they arent exactly good either.

I understand it as the Afghans did protect him to the best of their ability. A complex social situation made it hard for an American mind to fully grasp, but if it wasn't for them he'd have been slaughtered. The taliban are ruthless.

I understand it as the Afghans did protect him to the best of their ability. A complex social situation made it hard for an American mind to fully grasp, but if it wasn't for them he'd have been slaughtered. The taliban are ruthless.

I understand this too.

SPOILERS:

Did I say something wrong? I'm pretty sure from what I remember in the book it was Gulab and his family who pretty much saved his life and took him in?

WARNING: HERE BE SPOILERS.

The best part IMO of the story is that he was taken in and sheltered by an entire Afghan village, who shed him from the Taliban and nursed him until he could be picked up by the Rangers. Goes to show you that not everyone out there is a bad guy like most people in our country tend to think!

I dont know of a single American, let alone any on this forum who think "Everyone [in afghanistan] is a bad guy." Its a stupid thing to say in general, and particularly here.

And... BTW.... Lambopower is particularly sensitive to controversial topics in the OT section. Longtime members have developed a sense of situational awareness, and good will that allows them to navigate such mine fields... You have neither yet.

If I were you, I would stay clear of any controversial subjects for a while, introduce yourself to the membership and let us get to know you... Or not.

Welcome to Lambopower. :aikido:

I dont know of a single American, let alone any on this forum who think "Everyone [in afghanistan] is a bad guy." Its a stupid thing to say in general, and particularly here.

And... BTW.... Lambopower is particularly sensitive to controversial topics in the OT section. Longtime members have developed a sense of situational awareness, and good will that allows them to navigate such mine fields... You have neither yet.

If I were you, I would stay clear of any controversial subjects for a while, introduce yourself to the membership and let us get to know you... Or not.

Welcome to Lambopower. :aikido:

Well it really depends on where you live. I can tell you that I have heard many people make that statement out loud, in public etc. This is just an internet forum just like any other, no need to get worked up over a post....

Well it really depends on where you live. I can tell you that I have heard many people make that statement out loud, in public etc. This is just an internet forum just like any other, no need to get worked up over a post....

I can assure you its not.

Well it really depends on where you live. I can tell you that I have heard many people make that statement out loud, in public etc.

Well... you are from New Bedford Mass...

I have neglected in picking up Lone Survivor due to free time. I was aware of the book and the authors account for a while now. I highly recommend any member who has read Lone Survivor to check out RED CELL by Richard "Dick" Marcinko, and Warrior Soul: The Memoir of a Navy SEAL by Chuck Pfarrer. Both authors and ret. operators have interesting and provocative development and liquidated view points of the Navy's Maritime Special Operations Force.

• 6 months later...
Yea, but they are getting ready to Christen the new Warship named after him this weekend!!!

AHHHHH...

Another book you have to read is "Dead or Alive" by Tom Clancy. I know it's fictional, but it's a great military/special forces read. Almost as good as "Rainbow Six". Almost.

Another book you have to read is "Dead or Alive" by Tom Clancy. I know it's fictional, but it's a great military/special forces read. Almost as good as "Rainbow Six". Almost.

Is that the new one???? I have the new one in my library, but havent gotten a chance to read it yet.

Is that the new one???? I have the new one in my library, but havent gotten a chance to read it yet.

Yeah it's the new one. It's a good read, but not as action packed as Rainbow

Yeah it's the new one. It's a good read, but not as action packed as Rainbow

Ive read all of his books except Bear And the Dragon.... I own it... Could never get through it.... It sucked!

Ive read all of his books except Bear And the Dragon.... I own it... Could never get through it.... It sucked!

Im in the same boat... read damn near all of em but that one just seemed to drag on and on (I did finish it though), but im the type where once i pick up a book i finish it with in a few days regardless of how long it is.

He also wrote Shadow Warriors which is non fiction. I read it back in high school but it was a great read.

http://www.amazon.com/Shadow-Warriors-Insi...s/dp/0399147837

• 3 months later...

Check out "With The Old Breed" by E.B. Sledge.

He was a veteran of Pelilieu and Okinawa. Inspired the HBO miniseries The Pacific.

Probably the best war memoir ever written. Absolutely horrifying accounts.

• 1 year later...

For anyone interested, Lone Survivor is indeed being made into a movie. Marcus has talked about it on his Facebook page. Definitely one I am looking forward to seeing.

For anyone interested, Lone Survivor is indeed being made into a movie. Marcus has talked about it on his Facebook page. Definitely one I am looking forward to seeing.

Looking forward to it! My brother and I both read the book and have been excited to see the movie. A sad but great story.