One of the BEST books I have ever read...

Lightning

How come these guys are ''allowed'' to write books about their missions, they probably won't add all the details but imho you have to do this because else the story isn't complete...

There are different things throughout the book that Marcus acknowledges he cant talk about (quoting things like, "Active Special Operations", etc.). However, this was a unique situation in that apparently President Bush actually gave him his blessing to tell this incredible story (the devastating loss of over a dozen of the most valuable war fighters in the world probably had something to do with it). Marcus was given the Navy Cross for this mission (the highest honor you can get in service), and says throughout the end of the book that the driving force that kept him alive was that he would NOT die in the mountains of Afghanistan without getting the chance to tell their story...without getting the chance to let the world know how brave his teammates were and what they did to protect him.

As for the part of the book that describes "actual" SEAL training, he gets into detail about the hard physical work they endured and the punishment they are put through (such as the workouts, lack of sleep, swimming tests, etc.), but very little is said about the details of what they are trained to do, what they are trained to handle, their specific expertise on weapons, etc. (which Im sure is exactly the way the Government likes it). The less our enemies know about the SEAL's, the better. :)

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For military people who write books like this, there is a specific group of military folk they can voluntarily submit their work to, who review the book to make sure it doesn't violate OPSEC, before publication. The publishers often don't like this from what I understand, but usually the authors submit the work. Sometimes they don't though, but this usually leads to complete rejection from the Spec Ops/military community since they reveal things they shouldn't (Inside Delta Force is an example).

In the Company of Heroes by Mike Durant, the Blackhawk pilot shot down in Somalia, is a good read too.

ordered one, based on what you guys said.

You wont regret it. Im actually probably going to read it again after I finish my current book.

Got it on Audio book. Start to finish in 2 days.

Great book. Those guys are almost machine like. Glad he got to share the story with us, but I feel bad for him. It seems (from the interview I saw) that he has some serious mental problems, and probably will have for the rest of his life.

Def. going to try to get this book...

BTW - this is the interview he gave about his dog's murder...those guys got lucky the cops got there first...

The cops didn't get there first. He had a couple times that he could've taken them out easily. Before and after he ran them down, but he didn't, no matter how much he wanted to.

He showed restraint because he is a professional. He is truly a remarkable patriot and human being.

Anyone want to part with their copy when they're done?

dude, it's $7 on paperback.

Support the guy and go buy a copy.

Another good read is "That Others May Live" Here and "None Braver" Here about Air Force Pararescue Jumpers.

Amazing reads. All the SOCOM/SOC/AFSOC are amazing. From the people who fill the ranks, to the training they endured, and the missions they perform. I feel guilty every time a scarlet, tan, or black beret sporting enlisted airman salutes me.

Picked this up before dinner last night, and just finished it about an hour ago, and WOW!!! To think of the dicisions that had to be made by the four of them and everything that happened after. Great recommendation and coming from someone that did their time in the Navy as well, I have the utmost regards for Marcus and the men he serves with.

dude, it's $7 on paperback.

Support the guy and go buy a copy.

I thought I saw somewhere that the money from the book isnt even going to him but to the familys of the KIA SEALs.

I thought I saw somewhere that the money from the book isnt even going to him but to the familys of the KIA SEALs.

That very well could be. Either way, it's going to a worthy cause.

Im glad so many people are taking the time to read his story. It is a very moving book that will truly give you a new perspective on how lucky we are to have guys like Marcus protecting us.

As I said in my first post, I really hope I get the chance to meet him someday. I would happily fly out to one of his book signings for the chance to thank him and shake his hand.

There are DOZENS of great videos of him on Youtube as well, so for those of you who want to research a little more or hear one of his speeches, they are all over. After reading the book I watched almost all of them.

:)

its 11pm and ive been reading this book since the morning. i literally sat inmy home all day, ordered some food and read through this.

this book is phenomenal, and i have a ton of respect for Marcus Luttrell, and our SEALS.

its 11pm and ive been reading this book since the morning. i literally sat inmy home all day, ordered some food and read through this.

this book is phenomenal, and i have a ton of respect for Marcus Luttrell, and our SEALS.

:icon_thumleft:

hope they make a movie of this someday. I think this story is just as compelling, if not more, than Black Hawk Down.

• 2 weeks later...

I got the book by mail 3:00pm. Clock is now 3:45am here and I have read this book almost 12hours straight, now on page 297. Great book!!!