Maserati Granturismo S

nycgallardo1

Anybody have any real world experience with these cars? Hear they are much improved over the 4.2L model.

Giving up my G cause I need a back seat and frankly, not in need of Lambo-like brutal speed anymore.

Also, will probably get a 2009, as for some odd reason, they stopped offering the F1 trans in the U.S in 2010.

Thanks for any input.

Love the sound of the Granturismo S...one of the best sounding stock exhausts out there.

Interior is nice, too. Haven't driven the S version, but drove the 4.2, which was nice, but it did seem to lack some kick to it and for a car at that price, I was surprised it did not feel any faster than my modified 335i. However, I suspect the GT S is how the car should have been from the beginning.

Let us know what you decide.

It is a great looking car, interior is awesome, and the sound is just amazing. The car is great for a daily driver and the handling is just right. Great car.

The MC shift was a limited production run. Like a special edition.

The dealer here in cincy has 2 sitting in their showroom. I didnt realize they made a limited run of those.

• 3 weeks later...

Got the story on why they discontinued the MC Shift on the S model in 2010. A dealer said that, as the MC shift is essentially the same as the Ferrari's and the 4.7 L engine was close as well, they were losing Ferrari sales to the far less expensive Maserati in the US market. Sounds a little wonky, as I can't imagine that they are the same buyer, but I guess its kinda like all us G owners who were a little pissed that Audi came out with at "rebodied" G (the R8/R10) for far less than the cost of the G!

Interesting though, you can get the MC Shift S model most everywhere else in the world.

My only problem is finding the color combo I like. Anyone know of an either Blue, Dark Grey or Black model with a dark or light tan interior?

Seeing a lot of black or red interiors... not for me.

Got the story on why they discontinued the MC Shift on the S model in 2010. A dealer said that, as the MC shift is essentially the same as the Ferrari's and the 4.7 L engine was close as well, they were losing Ferrari sales to the far less expensive Maserati in the US market. Sounds a little wonky, as I can't imagine that they are the same buyer, but I guess its kinda like all us G owners who were a little pissed that Audi came out with at "rebodied" G (the R8/R10) for far less than the cost of the G!

Interesting though, you can get the MC Shift S model most everywhere else in the world.

My only problem is finding the color combo I like. Anyone know of an either Blue, Dark Grey or Black model with a dark or light tan interior?

Seeing a lot of black or red interiors... not for me.

Was the performance there though? I never heard of a Maserati putting down great numbers. In fact, I never even see a Maserati in any test at all.

• 3 weeks later...

The performance is not there. I had a GranSport and that was a bit more of a sports car and thought the GranTurismo S would be a step up in performance with better looks. I was let down and backed out of a deal for one. This is going back a year when they first hit our shores in the States. If you have the mindset of getting a daily driver that looks good and sounds great then you can't lose, but if you have the mindset that its all that and will perform and be exciting to drive, you'll be let down. The GranSport to me was the total package, the GranTurismo S is more show than go.

• 1 month later...
The performance is not there. I had a GranSport and that was a bit more of a sports car and thought the GranTurismo S would be a step up in performance with better looks. I was let down and backed out of a deal for one. This is going back a year when they first hit our shores in the States. If you have the mindset of getting a daily driver that looks good and sounds great then you can't lose, but if you have the mindset that its all that and will perform and be exciting to drive, you'll be let down. The GranSport to me was the total package, the GranTurismo S is more show than go.

Going to close on a metallic black/red one this week. The car is a visual stunner. Not looking for all out performance from this car,

so I think I'll be happy with its true GT nature. Only concern is the life of the F1 clutch, as its the same in the 599 and I've "heard" some things about it lasting only 10-15k miles. Anybody know the story on this?

Also, looking to do a PPI on the car. Anyone know a good shop who know Masers in the Miami area?

Will post pictures when its in my garage.

The S is the BEST stock sounding exhaust I have EVER heard. You have to drive one and watch someone drive off in one just so you can hear it, even if you don't buy one... It's sublime, really, no mods necessary.

From what I've heard it's as good a daily as any with the ZF transmission. I think BMW, Jaguar, Chrysler and Mercedes use the ZF.